[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomN00b

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by DoomN00b »

Gorec wrote:demonsteele uses monster that can be slashed in half and so
Oh yeah, that's right... didn't think about that.

But hey, I've started to really enjoy ANOTHER of Pillowcasters mods - RUSSIAN OVERKILL!! : D

Would it be possible to get a patch for Russian Overkill...? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

DemonSteele would require custom spritework, unfortunately. I have no experience with modifying monster sprites to the same degree as other people's monster sprite edits.

Well... since Russian Overkill doesn't modify monster behavior, it's possible for you to play this without a patch and have it work as intended... :D

Thanks for your compliments, DoomN00b. :D
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Come to think about it, using the power of ZScript it'll be possible to make it mod aware too. I for one have been thinking about a simple addon to D4D that could allow dumping of almost any monster into it such as, for example, any realm667 monsters. The system would be pretty simple to set up.

No promises but I have an idea on how to do this. Including dropping pinatas without having to actually modify them too. :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

OH. MY. GOD.

ULTIMATE. COMPATIBILITY.

THIS! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN AIMING FOR, FOR SO LONG. Universal Compatibility! :D

Whatever you've got, I'll take! I've been wanting to do a project that'd use ZScript to achieve something I can't do with just DECORATE/ACS. But THIS... this is more than right for me! For the longest time, I've been stressing out over compensation for maps with custom monsters, maps with custom monster actors. I've made various compatibility patches for such monsters (many of whom are in this mod). If there were a way for the mod to detect what monsters are present so as to replace them... then that'd be invaluable information to learn. Anything you've got, I'd love to learn! :D
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

There is also one thing with Legendoom ( viewtopic.php?t=51035 ), in regards to the monster randomizer. Some of the monster variants have the boss flag, meaning that killing those boss-level enemies can net three legendary weapons.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Good or bad?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Well, it's good, but certain weapon effects depend on types of enemies to damage (extinguishing, for instance, deals triple damage to imps and archviles. A patch to make those effects work with those certain effects would be fine.)

Other than that, Legendoom works fine with the monster randomizer. (the randomizer to be loaded after Legendoom, though.)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah. I see.

Haven't played LegenDoom, so I can't say that's going to be a priority right now...
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

DoomKrakken wrote:OH. MY. GOD.

ULTIMATE. COMPATIBILITY.

THIS! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN AIMING FOR, FOR SO LONG. Universal Compatibility! :D

Whatever you've got, I'll take! I've been wanting to do a project that'd use ZScript to achieve something I can't do with just DECORATE/ACS. But THIS... this is more than right for me! For the longest time, I've been stressing out over compensation for maps with custom monsters, maps with custom monster actors. I've made various compatibility patches for such monsters (many of whom are in this mod). If there were a way for the mod to detect what monsters are present so as to replace them... then that'd be invaluable information to learn. Anything you've got, I'd love to learn! :D
Thankfully, it's a pretty simple setup. The only real learning material, aside from how to generally use ZScript, is event handlers. Best of all, it can check to see if that monster is actually an entity the game has loaded, allowing it to be independent. It's truly a wonder system.
dljosef wrote:certain weapon effects depend on types of enemies to damage (extinguishing, for instance, deals triple damage to imps and archviles. A patch to make those effects work with those certain effects would be fine.)

Other than that, Legendoom works fine with the monster randomizer. (the randomizer to be loaded after Legendoom, though.)
That can also be done via the same method. Having monsters emit different effects by damagetype is now easy thanks to ZScript.

I'll start working on an example for both things soon.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Can't wait! :D
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Also discovered one thing in the normal monster randomizer: Is the ground-hugging death nova of the bruiser demon really necessary? It'd make certain levels really friggin' difficult if these guys are in those tight spaces.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

EXACTLY THE POINT. Pray that it doesn't happen... and if it does, cram as many projectiles as you can down the Inferno Bruiser's throat. ;)

Ok, for real, I wanted to keep many of the monsters' original behaviors... so yes, it's still going to be necessary. :)

This is why I play the mod with Guncaster. ;)
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

For example, when BruiserDemon dies, the sound becomes very loud. Because the same sounds are played simultaneously. A similar sound bug occurs in different mods. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Spoiler:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah, I know that. It's not exactly a bug... all those explosions each play the same explosion sound. Since there are so many of them playing the sound all at once, it's intensified greatly.

It happens even when a bunch of Revenant Tracer Rockets stack together and hit something at the exact same time. :)
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Well, if you know, so it's some form of masochism, I suppose, or what? Tried to fix it or that shit likes everyone? :o

Return to “Gameplay Mods”