[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
4thcharacter

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by 4thcharacter »

Major Cooke wrote:Come to think about it, using the power of ZScript it'll be possible to make it mod aware too. I for one have been thinking about a simple addon to D4D that could allow dumping of almost any monster into it such as, for example, any realm667 monsters.
Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Doomenator wrote:Well, if you know, so it's some form of masochism, I suppose, or what? Tried to fix it or that shit likes everyone? :o
To be honest, I never considered it to be a bug. I just knew that was a thing that always happened in the Doom Engine. If you want it fixed, I don't see how I can fix it, as those explosion trails all spawn the same actor.

I suppose if it really bothers people, I could turn down the volume on the explosion sounds... that'd probably ruin the immersion, though.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Brohnesorge wrote:You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.
$limit soundname <amount> [limitdistance]

Specifies that at most <amount> instances can be played at once. A value of 0 means no limit at all. Defaults to 2.
limitdistance specifies how far the limit takes effect. It defaults to 256, as in, two sounds further than 256 units apart can be played even if $limit would cause them to be evicted otherwise.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Handy.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

4thcharacter wrote:Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!
Oh don't worry. I'm going to make an example out of Colorful Hell for D4D to show you an idea. ;)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Major Cooke wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!
Oh don't worry. I'm going to make an example out of Colorful Hell for D4D to show you an idea. ;)
Oh, yes, please!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Spaceman333 wrote:
Brohnesorge wrote:You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.
$limit soundname <amount> [limitdistance]

Specifies that at most <amount> instances can be played at once. A value of 0 means no limit at all. Defaults to 2.
limitdistance specifies how far the limit takes effect. It defaults to 256, as in, two sounds further than 256 units apart can be played even if $limit would cause them to be evicted otherwise.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Handy.
Never saw that before... thanks! :D
4thcharacter wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:
Oh, yes, please!
Seconded.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Relevant.

It should mostly work. You can try it with your randomizer but know this, the only thing I can balance around right now is monster health.

I intend to resolve this by next installing a check for how much D4DCash the actor has. I'll get that set up for you here soon so you can get that established on your monsters. It'll cover crates and credits along with blacklisting entities that shouldn't have anything D4D-related dropping from them.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

OHOHOHOHOOOO... HELLS YEAH. :D

Do I need to use the latest alpha/GZDoom to use this? I'm still using GZDoom 2.4 because of issues with sound lag.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

You'll know when you try it. Aka idk. :P

When was the last time you tried D4D?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Too long. Haven't really kept up with updates. Remember when I was talking to you about the D4D Upgrade Menu over on Discord? The latest version I had was a stable version released some time in November of last year... and at the moment, it still is. XD
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Major Cooke wrote:Relevant.

It should mostly work. You can try it with your randomizer but know this, the only thing I can balance around right now is monster health.

I intend to resolve this by next installing a check for how much D4DCash the actor has. I'll get that set up for you here soon so you can get that established on your monsters. It'll cover crates and credits along with blacklisting entities that shouldn't have anything D4D-related dropping from them.

Oh, yes. Something like this would be also definitely helpful for some other mods.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I forgot if this was asked before, but is this mod compatible with Heretic/Hexen?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It is not. It did at one point in time have monsters ported straight from Heretic/Hexen, but those are "commented out" of the RandomSpawners, mainly because many of them just didn't fit in the spaces where the monsters that they replaced were located.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Will the compatibility patch for Guncaster be updated for the new GC release? Currently it crashes if run with GC, failing on the bloodfiend's WeakCorpseblastProjectile. These are the messages I get when trying to run with GZDoom 3.4.1:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”