[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by DoomKrakken »

RandomSpawners do not inherently know what monsters to spawn at certain difficulties. :)

The mod just utilizes RandomSpawners at the moment. There's no option to have certain monsters spawn, like in Project Brutality. I would absolutely love to implement a PB-styled monster-tier system, but I'm having a bit of a hard time finding my way through that tangled hedge that is Project Brutality's code.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

This cool mod is what most of the time takes me out of boredom. I like the variety.

However, some monsters feel too much overpower for me. Must be my fault because i played "shut up and bleed" a lot and i recognize most of these baddies.

But, just a question: is it intentional that, the Fallen, the Satyr, and the Mummy from Heretic are so overpowered and such bullet sponges?

I mean, you can control'em with a machinegun and some dodge skills, but, the Satyr leap most of the time is my game over. Kinda cheap.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

The Fallen is supposed to be a mid-tier enemy.

The Satyr needs some serious nerfing. I'm thinking I might remove the leap attack altogether, as it was just a novelty... or, rather, make the leap not offensive, but just a mobility mechanic. And yes, the Satyr is a bit of a bullet sponge.

That "mummy" is not a mummy. It's based off of Heretic's mummy, but it's a Toxin Ghoul. Supposed to be less of a bullet sponge than the Satyr, but can still take a fair beating.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I remember that not that long ago some people had problems with D4D's charging Pinkies as well. Anyway, I would prefer to increase cooldown on Satyrs' leaps. This way their signature attack would remain, so Satyrs would still be special and not toothless, but at the same time a bit more fair (no-pause charging Lost Souls are enough of a nuisance in Vanilla Doom).
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Their original melee attacks pack quite a punch too. I feel that the leap attack had overpowered the Satyr's original attack.

I had nerfed it even further, now that I remember, so that they leap attack less. I think I'd just increase their ground speed (probably not super sanic fast like Project MSX's Kabros, but definitely somewhere within that threshold), and still continue with the leap attack being turned into a simple leap.
TheLostSabre

Post by TheLostSabre »

Maybe it has been mentioned already but here goes. With Trailblazer in Map07 "Dead Simple", killing any of the Mancubus variants seems to randomly cause the level to end. This seems to also happen with Arachnotron variants as well.

I'm using GZDoom 2.2.0 when this happened. Maybe this is a compatibility issue with either GZDoom or Trailblazer?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Never mentioned, never heard of it, never encountered before. This is most definitely a first.

I'm guessing it may have to do with GZDoom. Trailblazer doesn't interfere at all with monster code.

I'll need to try that.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

TheLostSabre wrote:Maybe it has been mentioned already but here goes. With Trailblazer in Map07 "Dead Simple", killing any of the Mancubus variants seems to randomly cause the level to end. This seems to also happen with Arachnotron variants as well.

I'm using GZDoom 2.2.0 when this happened. Maybe this is a compatibility issue with either GZDoom or Trailblazer?
I've had glitches related to the script in that map, and similar maps based on it, where monster death states are supposed to trigger the walls to lower. In a script-heavy mod, like Doom RPG, nothing happens when all the mancubi are dead. I don't know if this issue might be related.

In the vanilla Doom engine, this is how those maps work:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tag_666
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Alright, guys... I've run into a problem.

The code is definitely needing some updates. I do plan to do some over the holidays... and I really want to do some "smart" spawning code, like Project Brutality's tier-based spawning.

Here's my issue... I've looked at Project Brutality's code, and I've tested it in some maps. Apparently, it doesn't take the DORMANT flag into consideration, (which is a HUGE issue, considering that the map that I test weapon/creature mods on, the Doom Arena, is chock full of dormant monsters). This can potentially break the game.

Might any of you know a way to make it so that monsters that are spawned via Project Brutality's tier-based spawners get the DORMANT flag transferred to them if they are spawned in a place where they're supposed to be dormant?

I'm guessing the spawners might actually "know" whether or not they have a DORMANT flag, even if they do not remain dormant, so they can probably transfer their DORMANT flag... somehow. I'll need to look into this.
Lime

Post by Lime »

I really like this mod. with Guncaster, it has the great combination to take down the suckers and it suits from the concept of the main menu. also one thing, It's about the Matriarch. If i bought the case and i upgrade it, why it gone so glitchy? the weapon is gone (like on top side or something) while the bolt is in the same origin?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Many thanks for your kind words. :D

That glitch might be happening because one of its sprite frames is the same as one of the frames for the Hellsmith Apprentice's maul... possibly because I forgot to release a bugfixed version.
mutator

Post by mutator »

which sourceport newest guncaster patch and randomizer work on? I tried with ALL but no positive results
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

First off, use GZDoom. Haven't tested it on 2.4 or above, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Second, this should be your load order:

- Guncaster
- DMKR
- DMKR Guncaster Patch

I highly suggest you use a program such as ZDL to organize your mods in the order you wish to load them. This way you can know for certain you're doing it right.

If you happened to do all of that already, then disregard the above and please explain exactly what you mean by "I tried with ALL but no positive results". ;)
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Yo, wasup! = ) First, awesome mod! Works like a charm with vanilla Doom 2.

I've got a request which I wonder if you would be interested in implementing though? Could you by chance implement support for Deemonsteele 0.9? I totally love that mod! :wub: Playing Demonsteele with random monsters would be WAY cool!
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

demonsteele uses monster that can be slashed in half and so

Return to “Gameplay Mods”