[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by DoomKrakken »

(Milestone: This is my first ZDoom Forum Topic. :D)

Through the magic of DECORATE and RandomSpawners, I have created a monster mod for Doom, to feature monsters from one of my favorite map packs, ZPack, which now incorporates many, many more monsters, for maximum awesomness!

I'll give some info on each of the monsters, but not everything, as my patience easily wears thin, and I'd want you to discover this stuff for yourself. ;)

The long-awaited Version 4 is now here. We say hello to some new monsters... but bid adieu to the monsters of Heretic and Hexen.

I'm sorry, but I ran out of patience trying to balance scales and heights, and I wanted to get this thing uploaded as soon as possible. Still, for those of you who can edit mods, I left the monsters where they are in the RandomSpawners... only commented out. If you wish to play this with Heretic/Hexen monsters in the mix, you will have to uncomment them yourself.

Credits are now included in the .pk3 file. Look there for them, or go to Realm667.

I have changed the name of this monster pack, because the Guncaster version is now simply a compatibility patch that must be run with the Monster Randomizer Base (and Guncaster, of course). In the spoiler below, you will find information on the monsters' behaviors in the Guncaster version.

NOTE: Monster bestiary information below has not been updated to incorporate new monsters/new behaviors. This note will be removed once that is complete.
Spoiler: And now, the cast:
A huge "THANK YOU" to:
- PillowBlaster (for creating Guncaster and allowing me to release this mod)
- Captain Ventris (who created that super awesome edit of the Quad-Shotgun Guy to make the Ironblast Zombie)
- TheSkyBug (who provided useful DECORATE, and made the DECORATE code for the Ironblast Zombie)
- The authors of all the monsters featured here (these monsters are AWESOME)!
- All of you who play this mod! You guys are AWESOME!

Gameplay videos:
If you have a video of this mod in action, go ahead and show it to me so that I can post it here! :D

Old:

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR RUNNING THIS THING PROPERLY.

Guncaster
DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer
DMKR Guncaster patch

Guncaster should be loaded before the Monster Randomizer and Patch. Then you load the randomizer, and then the Guncaster Patch. It's definitely easy to do in ZDL, as you can easily control what goes in what order. Things that are at the top of the list are loaded first. Questions? Feel free to ask me. :D

Downloads:
DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) Main Download (MANDATORY)
Guncaster Compatibility Patch (V4) Important patch if you want to play this with Guncaster...

Older downloads (NOT COMPATIBLE with Guncaster v2.8):
DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V3.5)
Guncaster Compatibility Patch (V3.5)
Mutators: (coming soon...)

Guncaster Monster Pack (V3) - Main Version
Monster Pack Base (V3) - Vanilla Version

Guncaster Monster Pack (V2.1 Main) - Normal version
Guncaster Monster Pack V2 (New Monsters Only Patch) - Updated to be a patch, so that it's not a separate thing...Load this after the main Guncaster Monster Pack mod. Use this if you only want to fight against new monsters. Recommended only for hardcore Guncasters, or anyone looking for a severe ass-whooping (currently not compatible with the newest version).
Vanilla Monster Pack V2 - Vanilla version

Version 1
Version 1 (Vanilla version)
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 52 times in total.
Nevander

Re: [Add-On] Guncaster Monster Pack

Post by Nevander »

Damn nice looking monsters. I recognize some from Stronghold. Hell, these are nice enough I'd be interested in using them with plain ol' vanilla Doom.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I know, right? They're so damn awesome! I wish I had come up with them...

I actually have a totally vanilla version, which I use as a base. I can provide a link if you want. :)
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

DoomKrakken wrote:I know, right? They're so damn awesome! I wish I had come up with them...

I actually have a totally vanilla version, which I use as a base. I can provide a link if you want. :)
I'd be interested in a vanilla version too. Would it work with other weapon packs?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Most likely, but it depends on what you're using. Trailblazer seems to be the most Vanilla-friendly weapon mod...and while the vanilla version I have is playable with Guncaster, the monsters do not interact with many of your abilities, which is why I made this mod in specific.

I'll upload the Vanilla version soon. I'll even put a link in the OP.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

DoomKrakken wrote:Most likely, but it depends on what you're using. Trailblazer seems to be the most Vanilla-friendly weapon mod...and while the vanilla version I have is playable with Guncaster, the monsters do not interact with many of your abilities, which is why I made this mod in specific.

I'll upload the Vanilla version soon. I'll even put a link in the OP.
Hey cool. Thanks for your work :)
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

So... You forgot to mention that sometimes regular zombies spawn ghost zombies on death that spawn double ghost zombies on death. That caught me by surprise.

I like this.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Add-On] Guncaster Monster Pack (now serving Vanilla)

Post by DoomKrakken »

I actually forgot about those guys. Those are the "T667_TWO_Zombies". Only found in ZPack, in the map "More Tricks and Traps" by Tormenter667. Kill them, and they drop the "T667_TWO_Zombie2" which are translucent, and kill those to get the "T667_TWO_Zombie3" which are partially invisible (OptFuzzy). You get triple the drops, though... :) (such trolling)

I knew I forgot something...

By the way, OP is updated. Now it includes info on the zombie I forgot to mention and a download link to the totally vanilla version of this mod.
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Re: [Add-On] Guncaster Monster Pack (now serving Vanilla

Post by Zhs2 »

I'm actually a little disappointed that this is full of Doom monsters and is in no way shape or form a tribute to Guncaster's beginning in Heretic.
DoomKrakken

Re: Re: [Add-On] Guncaster Monster Pack (now serving Vanilla

Post by DoomKrakken »

Sorry that you feel that way.

Doom is my main game. I'm mostly unfamiliar with Heretic/Hexen (though I played through Heretic once with Guncaster, but I still haven't even touched Hexen). I just wanted to make a monster pack that made some of the monsters more compatible with Guncaster in some of the map mods I play.

Although... I was also thinking about taking Heretic monsters and adding them to the mod... but wouldn't that be copyright infringement?
BlueInferno

Post by BlueInferno »

I played heretic pwads with doom monster in them, I forgot the names of the wads though. Unloved had acolytes and avatars that are recolored dark bishops and hereseachs.

Anotherwards, its been done before so you have nothing to worry about .😊
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

This mod would be something i'd definitely play through if it has Hexen and Heretic monster replacers as well.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Nice! It's good to see Guncaster with an enemy pack. I thought it was the only real thing missing. Having tougher enemies definitely means the difficulty is heightened. I lack the knowledge to make enemy packs compatible with Guncaster, so good job!

I feel the suicide zombie could use a tweak though. He moves a bit too fast. If he spawns in a corridor or anything like that you're pretty much screwed. That's about the only thing I'd change.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

YES, YES, and DOUBLE YES!

I actually wanted him to move crazy fast. I know it's unfair.

Although now I really am thinking about lowering the speed. I know what you mean about those tight corridors. Man, Underhalls was SOOOOOO difficult... XD

Maybe I can make it so that he runs at speed 15. I was also thinking of doubling or tripling the Satyr's speed, and making the Soul Harvester release more homing projectiles upon death.

It's actually kind of easy to do the monsters. Tedious, but easy. :)
Silentdarkness12 wrote:This mod would be something i'd definitely play through if it has Hexen and Heretic monster replacers as well.
BlueInferno wrote:I played heretic pwads with doom monster in them, I forgot the names of the wads though. Unloved had acolytes and avatars that are recolored dark bishops and hereseachs.

Anotherwards, its been done before so you have nothing to worry about .😊
I will think about it. :D
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Satyr getting a slight speed boost probably wouldn't hurt. As it stands with the fast and frenetic gameplay of Guncaster he ends up slowly chugging along the floor as you fly around him. :D

If you were considering a Heretic / Hexen monster mod there is a few out there. There is one here on moddb:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hexen-confliction1

I don't know who owns the newly edited monsters in that, but it includes Doom monsters as well so I guess nobody will get in a fuss legally if you port over Heretic Monsters to Doom or vice versa.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”