[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Someone64

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by Someone64 »

I'd rather have it Colorful Hell style where harder enemies drop more health and ammo (and in some cases, special ammo that the type normally wouldn't have but does because it has say... a rocket launcher so it drops rockets). Backpacks are a bit too much as they permanently increase ammo capacity. Playing on Oblige with default settings for example I always end up with WAY too much ammo because the map generator likes to put one at LEAST every other level.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

In the vanilla version, I wanted to keep things as vanilla as possible. I suppose some change is in order...

No, you cannot play Trailblazer with the Guncaster Patch, because Trailblazer lacks many of the actors required in the patch to make it work (which can only be found in Guncaster).

Dropping health/armor sounds like an interesting idea... :)
mutator

Post by mutator »

Can't you make monsters drop regular backpack spawn?? because in trailblazer backpacks come with the blueprint upgrade that pillow just updated.. but monsters just drop the backpack but not the blueprint/jetpack just like normal found backpacks spawn with.
NOTE: I just found black ironlich always drop backpack but not the extras that spawn with backpack such as jetpacks or blueprints
2nd NOTE: I just found out that they actually DO!
Attachments
doomtb1.jpg
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

This "black Iron Lich" is known as a "Steel Sentinel". And yes, they do drop a standard backpack, as demonstrated by your screenshot there... :)
mutator

Post by mutator »

Is there more monsters that drop backpack?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Unfortunately, no.

Backpack drops are kinda cheap, anyway.
mutator

Post by mutator »

I would be happier with this mod if backpacks were more common.. I really love them for the fact I need it for the trailblazer mod
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I heard several people recommending this mod in the Guncaster thread, and I was looking for something more challenging, so I decided to try it out. Previously I'd been using Guncaster with Colorful Hell, but even then I was still dominating the monsters, and despite the rough start I was still finding it too easy after just a few maps.

I started a new game with GC and MR, and sure enough the opening of the first level didn't fail to deliver. However, then I ran into the Old Dreadful Zombies. I know that in theory enemies like this are supposed to make things much harder, except for the fact that the zombies have no idea how to use it. They don't account for the projectile's size, meaning it will hit the wall in front of them instead of you, and vaporize all nearby monsters for you. Then when you kill them, there's a chance they'll drop the weapon for you, meaning you can get the most powerful weapon in the game in the first map.

I'll keep going for now and see what happens.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

So I saw. :D

Yeah, the spawner's intelligence isn't smart at all. It happens randomly, which contributes in part to the challenge. I do wish to make it more intelligent, like in Project Brutality, someday. Old Dreadful zombies are a little rare, and their weapon drop rate is also somewhat rare, so if you get an Old Dreadful from one of them, if you don't have one already... SAVE. :D

Godspeed! :)
mutator

Post by mutator »

Are you thinking of releasing more versions or was v4 the final one? :P
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I heard several people recommending this mod in the Guncaster thread, and I was looking for something more challenging, so I decided to try it out. Previously I'd been using Guncaster with Colorful Hell, but even then I was still dominating the monsters, and despite the rough start I was still finding it too easy after just a few maps.

I started a new game with GC and MR, and sure enough the opening of the first level didn't fail to deliver. However, then I ran into the Old Dreadful Zombies. I know that in theory enemies like this are supposed to make things much harder, except for the fact that the zombies have no idea how to use it. They don't account for the projectile's size, meaning it will hit the wall in front of them instead of you, and vaporize all nearby monsters for you. Then when you kill them, there's a chance they'll drop the weapon for you, meaning you can get the most powerful weapon in the game in the first map.

I'll keep going for now and see what happens.
I'd be interested to see your further thoughts. Monsters that prove problematic during gameplay are always possible to tweak or disable fairly easily.
I'm currently training my Guncaster skills on a 32 extreme-sized oblige megawad, and on the next playthrough I'll be finally loading this Monster Randomizer for a similar adventure.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

DoomKrakken wrote:So I saw. :D

Yeah, the spawner's intelligence isn't smart at all. It happens randomly, which contributes in part to the challenge. I do wish to make it more intelligent, like in Project Brutality, someday. Old Dreadful zombies are a little rare, and their weapon drop rate is also somewhat rare, so if you get an Old Dreadful from one of them, if you don't have one already... SAVE. :D

Godspeed! :)
I actually encountered 3 of them on the first map of a megawad, specifically Plutonia Revisited, and one of them dropped the weapon itself. I'm about 10 maps in now, and I've seen at least one other Old Dreadful Zombie drop its weapon. The rest have dropped tiberium ammo pods, of which I have more than I can carry.

This is also around the time I save up 33K gold to buy the Old Dreadful Stratocaster, which pretty much lets you annihilate every single monster on the map with a single shot, unless the map is more spread out. I already have the Tiberium Core upgrade. So yeah, I don't see myself running into any insurmountable odds in the foreseeable future.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Maybe you're playing on a higher difficulty? From my experience it seems that aside from adhering to the map's difficulty based monster spawns it spawns more rare variants at higher difficulties. At lower difficulties you'll see more vanilla monsters and less monsters in general. I'm not entirely sure of this, though but it seems to behave like this consistently for me unless it's just a really long string of coincidences.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Someone64 wrote:Maybe you're playing on a higher difficulty? From my experience it seems that aside from adhering to the map's difficulty based monster spawns it spawns more rare variants at higher difficulties. At lower difficulties you'll see more vanilla monsters and less monsters in general. I'm not entirely sure of this, though but it seems to behave like this consistently for me unless it's just a really long string of coincidences.
Yeah, that could be it. I never play on anything but the highest setting, unless it's vanilla Doom because the NM monster respawns get annoying fast. I've reached map 12 of the megawad and am now completely maxed out. I have all the weapons, all the stratocaster upgrades, a full spellbook, all the stat boosters, a ton of ammo, and gold to spare. I think I'm going to stop at this point, because in every subsequent map I'm just going to fire Old Dreadful once and everything will be dead in seconds.

I was wondering though if there was a way for players to tweak the rates at which tougher monsters appear, like in Project Brutality. In that mod, for example, I've been playing on Ultra NM with the Death Wish spawn setting, and it feels pretty well balanced this way. So in other words, could there be a setting that makes only the strongest variants appear?
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
Someone64 wrote:Maybe you're playing on a higher difficulty? From my experience it seems that aside from adhering to the map's difficulty based monster spawns it spawns more rare variants at higher difficulties. At lower difficulties you'll see more vanilla monsters and less monsters in general. I'm not entirely sure of this, though but it seems to behave like this consistently for me unless it's just a really long string of coincidences.
Yeah, that could be it. I never play on anything but the highest setting, unless it's vanilla Doom because the NM monster respawns get annoying fast. I've reached map 12 of the megawad and am now completely maxed out. I have all the weapons, all the stratocaster upgrades, a full spellbook, all the stat boosters, a ton of ammo, and gold to spare. I think I'm going to stop at this point, because in every subsequent map I'm just going to fire Old Dreadful once and everything will be dead in seconds.

I was wondering though if there was a way for players to tweak the rates at which tougher monsters appear, like in Project Brutality. In that mod, for example, I've been playing on Ultra NM with the Death Wish spawn setting, and it feels pretty well balanced this way. So in other words, could there be a setting that makes only the strongest variants appear?
What megawad is this? Also, you did not list the Bishop Suit, and it makes a big difference :wink:
I actually mentioned earlier the PB spawn presets mechanism to DK, but he said that the code is too complex to bother. Unless something changed in the meantime...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”