[dead] Melee system demo

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kodi

[dead] Melee system demo

Post by kodi »

This is a heavily WIP prototype of a melee system for a would-be hexen2/quake 1 based tc. In the demo you fight a quite pesky knight with a sword. Fire key is a horizontal slash, altfire is a vertical one, and you parry with your reload key.
There's actual 3-dimensional hit detection, so your sword will visually deflect if your attack is parried or you hit a wall - try doing it at different angles and you'll see the effect.

Please try it out and come back with your critique and opinions!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/umb6hokxig4x4eq/meleetest.zip

Edit: seems the dl link got borked.

Notes:
Spoiler:
Last edited by kodi on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
doony

Re: [WIP][Download] Melee system demo

Post by doony »

kodi wrote:This is a heavily WIP prototype of a melee system for a would-be hexen2/quake 1 based tc. In the demo you fight a quite pesky knight with a sword. Fire key is a horizontal slash, altfire is a vertical one, and you parry with your reload key.
There's actual 3-dimensional hit detection, so your sword will visually deflect if your attack is parried or you hit a wall - try doing it at different angles and you'll see the effect.

Please try it out and come back with your critique and opinions!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/umb6hokxig4x4eq/meleetest.zip

Edit: seems the dl link got borked. Perhaps it's not that interesting anyway.

Notes:
Spoiler:
this is awesome!
I think a sword is useless without a shield, in exception of demon steele, if you could add a shield somehow it would be perfect
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Very cool WIP. I'm excited to see what you'll make of this.
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Very fun. I'd like to see where this goes.
doony wrote: I think a sword is useless without a shield, in exception of demon steele, if you could add a shield somehow it would be perfect
I prefer it without the shield, personally. Too many games make two-handed weapons heavy and slow (which they weren't, historically), and it's refreshing to find one that doesn't do that.
Look up longsword fencing sometime. You'd be surprised what all can be done without a shield.
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

i really like this, i think the time window you have when you dodge or block an attack should be longer, also enemies should jump to the side to dodge sometimes.
the blocking animation looks jittery, and holding it down shouldn't repeat it over and over.
i'd like to see different melee weapons too like an axe or a club, usually on medieval themed mods there is only one or two melee weapons and the rest are crossbows and magic.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Thanks for the input!
doony wrote: this is awesome!
I think a sword is useless without a shield, in exception of demon steele, if you could add a shield somehow it would be perfect
About shields, I'm not a fan of how they're depicted in 99% of movies and video games, and making them work in even a moderately realistic manner would be spectacularly complex. Also, since the player character would be an adventurer or whatever rather than a soldier in a war or skirmish, it doesn't make much sense for them to lug a shield around. I could maybe see a parrying dagger work however.
Janus3003 wrote:Very fun. I'd like to see where this goes.
I prefer it without the shield, personally. Too many games make two-handed weapons heavy and slow (which they weren't, historically), and it's refreshing to find one that doesn't do that.
Look up longsword fencing sometime. You'd be surprised what all can be done without a shield.
I actually fenced for two years or so during my high school days, which along with having at least rudimentary knowledge of how real world swordfighting works serves as inspiration for this. I want the combat to be fast and dynamic, so the player has to either act or react depending on the circumstances of the fight at any given moment.
StatisticalHourglass wrote: i think the time window you have when you dodge or block an attack should be longer, also enemies should jump to the side to dodge sometimes.
I've only put the bare minimum of thought into balance to make it somewhat playable, so pretty much everything would need to changed and adjusted. For one, enemies locked in combat with the player should always face him and use A_ThrustThing to take small steps rather than run around aimlessly with A_Chase. Some enemies may dodge, others may not etc so they all have unique behaviour and movement patterns.
the blocking animation looks jittery, and holding it down shouldn't repeat it over and over.
All the animations are shit :D They're hacked together from the frames of the sword in hexen 2 without any custom animation other than crazy offsets in animdefs. There isn't even a draw animation.
i'd like to see different melee weapons too like an axe or a club, usually on medieval themed mods there is only one or two melee weapons and the rest are crossbows and magic.
I'd really want to include a realistically styled battle axe at some point, and also a dagger. A crossbow with crazy ammo choices like the bow in thief should mostly be it for ranged combat, along with thrown gadgets and objects.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”