Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: FEB 19]

Post by Agitatio »

Well... crap! Sorry faslrn. Pretty sure I burned myself out while working on SBARINFO. Damn perfectionism! Was never happy with things I done. Started from scratch multiple times. Not even sure anymore if all that was worth it. Was a struggle between trying to make everything look how I like while trying to make it compatible with custom graphics from WADs or making my own graphics. Guess I'll make custom graphics in the future. Only problem is that I'm no artist.
Spoiler: This is what I have so far:
Removed reloading hint for Minigun. Replaced ARMS panel with grenade counter. Adrenaline bar is behind Mugshot and vertical. Remade ammo reserve panel. Ammo Toss is now usable with status bar. Ammo selected for toss has it's name highlighted. Everything changes color at =<25%(red), =<50%(gold) and =<75%(green). Health and Armor also change at >100%(blue). Fullscreen HUD is untouched, sadly.

I will probably polish it up a bit and upload somewhere later this week.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:Well... crap! Sorry faslrn. Pretty sure I burned myself out while working on SBARINFO. Damn perfectionism! Was never happy with things I done. Started from scratch multiple times. Not even sure anymore if all that was worth it. Was a struggle between trying to make everything look how I like while trying to make it compatible with custom graphics from WADs or making my own graphics. Guess I'll make custom graphics in the future. Only problem is that I'm no artist.
Spoiler: This is what I have so far:
Removed reloading hint for Minigun. Replaced ARMS panel with grenade counter. Adrenaline bar is behind Mugshot and vertical. Remade ammo reserve panel. Ammo Toss is now usable with status bar. Ammo selected for toss has it's name highlighted. Everything changes color at =<25%(red), =<50%(gold) and =<75%(green). Health and Armor also change at >100%(blue). Fullscreen HUD is untouched, sadly.

I will probably polish it up a bit and upload somewhere later this week.
Looking good so far :thumb: Thanks again for the help!
GAA1992 wrote:I do not exactly know when you changed most weapon sprites, but i dig this A FUCKING LOT. The RL wasn't a surprise since i saw it on BDJ, but that SSG and that Chaingun... God.

I love this mod. Thanks a bunch.
You can thank Neccronixis. They are super lovely and I can't thank him enough for his contribution and generosity!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:Looking good so far :thumb: Thanks again for the help!
I think I'm mostly done with Status Bar.
Spoiler:
Most of the changes are the same as I mentioned in previous post. New things are: Ammo names light up depending on what weapon you are using and letter T showing up before ammo names in MP and lighting up depending on what ammo you chose to toss. I'll probably add some kind of indication for armor type and berserk later. And I need to figure out how to enforce default fonts and font colors on status bar without actually breaking them in other places, so that status bar looks consistent when palying different megawads. But for now I'm going to focus mostly on improving fullscreen HUD.

Now back to feedback. I think you should bring back previous shotgun out animation, with the pump grab. It'll look consistent with other weapon out animations. Most of them (except SG and SSG) are coming from the bottom right. Right now when you switch between SG and other weapons a lot it looks weird. I also noticed some inconsistency with backpack. For most ammo types it gives same amount as single small ammo pickup. But, it gives 3 rifle mags (45), 35 NATO (belt is 20 and box is 50) and 3 grenades. I think bringing those to their supposed values of 15, 20 and 1 makes sense. Especially grenades which are strong, and you can carry 30 of them.
Last edited by Agitatio on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:Looking good so far :thumb: Thanks again for the help!
I think I'm mostly done with Status Bar.
Spoiler:
Most of the changes are the same as I mentioned in previous post. New things are: Ammo names light up depending on what weapon you are using and letter T showing up before ammo names in MP and lighting up depending on what ammo you chose to toss. I'll probably add some kind of indication for armor type and berserk later. And I need to figure out how to enforce default fonts and font colors on status bar without actually breaking them in other places, so that status bar looks consistent when palying different megawads. But for now I'm going to focus mostly on improving fullscreen HUD.
Faspons_SBAR.pk3
Now back to feedback. I think you should bring back previous shotgun out animation, with the pump grab. It'll look consistent with other weapon out animations. Most of them (except SG and SSG) are coming from the bottom right. Right now when you switch between SG and other weapons a lot it looks weird. I also noticed some inconsistency with backpack. For most ammo types it gives same amount as single small ammo pickup. But, it gives 3 rifle mags (45), 35 NATO (belt is 20 and box is 50) and 3 grenades. I think bringing those to their supposed values of 15, 20 and 1 makes sense. Especially grenades which are strong, and you can carry 30 of them.
Thanks for the HUD! I'll look into putting that in and let you know any feedback.

Thanks for the feedback as well. The latest dev has a new riotgun raise animation so check that out. It is similar to the old grab you are referring to but with some improvements. For the backpack, what I could do is make it have two rifle clips (30), one small NATO belt (20), and one or two grenades. I'll see how that balances out while playing a few wads. But I agree, makes more sense to have a number that matches up with what you pick up.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:Thanks for the HUD! I'll look into putting that in and let you know any feedback.
Don't bother with implementing my changes right now. Let's think about it when I'm actually finished with it.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:Thanks for the HUD! I'll look into putting that in and let you know any feedback.
Don't bother with implementing my changes right now. Let's think about it when I'm actually finished with it.
Sounds good.

I know if you want to make the HUD look constant with other wads, you'll need to include a font (which would be included in Faspons) as right now, the fonts are based on the default doom and zdoom fonts. If they get overwritten by a wad, the font will change on the HUD.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:The latest dev has a new riotgun raise animation so check that out. It is similar to the old grab you are referring to but with some improvements.
Great! Now something similar for lowering animation. Right now it looks weird how you "lower" SG to the left and get another weapon from the right. Like you have 3 arms or something. :lol:
faslrn wrote:For the backpack, what I could do is make it have two rifle clips (30), one small NATO belt (20), and one or two grenades. I'll see how that balances out while playing a few wads.
I'm mostly worried about grenades. I feel like you get too many of them and can carry lots.
faslrn wrote:I know if you want to make the HUD look constant with other wads, you'll need to include a font (which would be included in Faspons) as right now, the fonts are based on the default doom and zdoom fonts. If they get overwritten by a wad, the font will change on the HUD.
Main problem is not the fonts themselves, but colors. Megawads with custom palette make default font look weird. That's why most of the have their custom fonts.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:The latest dev has a new riotgun raise animation so check that out. It is similar to the old grab you are referring to but with some improvements.
Great! Now something similar for lowering animation. Right now it looks weird how you "lower" SG to the left and get another weapon from the right. Like you have 3 arms or something. :lol:
faslrn wrote:For the backpack, what I could do is make it have two rifle clips (30), one small NATO belt (20), and one or two grenades. I'll see how that balances out while playing a few wads.
I'm mostly worried about grenades. I feel like you get too many of them and can carry lots.
faslrn wrote:I know if you want to make the HUD look constant with other wads, you'll need to include a font (which would be included in Faspons) as right now, the fonts are based on the default doom and zdoom fonts. If they get overwritten by a wad, the font will change on the HUD.
Main problem is not the fonts themselves, but colors. Megawads with custom palette make default font look weird. That's why most of the have their custom fonts.
Lol, I guess that is true for the SG. I'll figure something out :lol:

I agree, typically I have a ton of grenades at the end of a bigger wad, so I'll probably go with one per backpack. I'll test it out though.

I know I had issues with coloring (Like Back to Saturn X) with monster sprites. I had to convert them to PNG, otherwise they would keep having their palette changed.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Does reloading CVAR adds inventory item ReloadingEnabled? I guess you did it like that to do some stuff work through SBARINFO? Because I'm pretty sure same results can be achieved with IfCVarInt. But I guess IfCVarInt didn't exist at the time?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:Does reloading CVAR adds inventory item ReloadingEnabled? I guess you did it like that to do some stuff work through SBARINFO? Because I'm pretty sure same results can be achieved with IfCVarInt. But I guess IfCVarInt didn't exist at the time?
Oh yes, that is why I didn't use the base reload function: I couldn't think of a way to disable it with the reloading enable/disable option I implemented. That's why I also used an inventory item as the IfCVarInt didn't exist until Sept 2016. This was the simplest way before new decorate scripting ways were possible.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Latest version of my Status Bar and Fullscreen HUD changes. Now also includes fixed options menu that works on latest GZDoom version. If you only want the fix, delete everything inside my pk3 except MENUDEF and KEYCONF.
Attachments
faspons-patch.pk3
(20.24 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

With the latest dev version, performing a slide kick with most weapons won't display the animation as long as the magazine is full.

Also, kicking resets your momentum, doesn't matter if you're touching the ground or in midair and PROP_FROZEN and PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN have no effect on the player whatsover.

As a side note, I seem to lack the required permissions to view and download file attachments, yet have no problem in doing so when I am logged out, can someone tell me why that is? Thanks in advance. :)
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: DEC 09]

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:With the latest dev version, performing a slide kick with most weapons won't display the animation as long as the magazine is full.
I had a inventory remove in the Ready state specifically for the slide inventory item. I forgot why I put it there so I removed it for now. It will probably bite me in the ass at some point until I remember why I put it there!
DabbingSquidward wrote:Also, kicking resets your momentum, doesn't matter if you're touching the ground or in midair and PROP_FROZEN and PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN have no effect on the player whatsover.)
This is due to the A_ScaleVelocity command set in each of the DoKick states. My thought process was that it is a bit hard to keep moving forward with one foot on the ground. However, I am tweaking this so it only scales your velocity if you are on the ground (that way you can do flying kicks!)

Also, it 'tis the season so I hope everyone is enjoy the best drink of all time: Nog.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: DEV 11]

Post by faslrn »

LATEST DEVELOPMENT UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- CLEAN: General blood and monster code
- CHANGE: Faspon options now a standard main menu option instead of being hidden under "Options"
- CHANGE: Removed gore option for perm, fade, and off. Combined with casings for max corpse queue to improve performance when using casings and gibs on large maps
- CHANGE: Removed UA separate monsters and combing with standard monsters. Will be using ZScript to use a single monster actor that will change behavior depending on difficulty to allow easier maintenance
Neccronixis

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: DEV 11]

Post by Neccronixis »

It's good to see you're still updating this mod; it's in my top 3 vanilla-esque mods along with Beautiful doom & Smooth Doom.
I don't know why but gzdoom immediately freezes if you attempt to perform a slide when strafing. Using the latest Gzdoom 3.2.3
EDIT: It seems if you do not press crouch followed by kick fast enough the game will crash.

If there's anything I'd add to the mod:
- Extra death animation for some of the monsters for varieties sake, and weapons specific deaths like chainsaw slashes for lower tier enemies and bfg/plasma burn deaths for mancubus, knights & barons, arachnotrons and archviles.
- Alternate random attack for the cyberdemon: a faster burst of rockets with a random spread.
- Alternate random attack for Spider Mastermind like a faster chaingun burst and make him expel empty shell casings like other enemies.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”