Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: JAN 28 / DEV: JAN 28]

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:More bugs and suggestions :3:

-After firing a single shot with the SSG, the view pitch is lower than before.
-Arachnotrons still strafe when vanilla monsters are enabled.
-The airborne drop kick makes no impact sound.
-I'm missing an option to disable the spawning of casings and mags.
-Sometimes the reloading script gets stuck, so any weapon will reload by itself whenever it is in the Ready state, until I press the reload key again.
Also, have you thought about changing to GZDoom's native reload function & key? This would remove the need for ACS.
-Switch from numbered to named scripts to allow for greater map compatibility.

A note about rifle ammo:
A full mag (max rifle ammo) has 30 rounds. That means that every mag in the map and the ones occasionally dropped by zombies have 0.5x the amount. A rifle gives 10 rounds, which is ⅓ the amount. A backpack gives 45 rounds, which is 1.5x the amount. A combined ammo box gives 60 rounds, which is 2x the amount.
Last, but not least, a NATO box gives 50 rounds, while a small belt gives 20 rounds, which isn't half the amount, but 2/5ths of it. I'm not saying anything has to change, just pointing out that I find the amounts a bit inconsistent. Vanilla Doom, Heretic and Strife had some sort of consistency, each large pickup gave 5x the amount of a small one, while Quake's gave double the amount.
Thanks for the feedback. For the ammo comment, it's been weird balancing the NATO ammo: the Minigun is so damn good at clearing out big rooms, stunning enemies, and just being a weapon that you only want to bring out and save ammo for on those bad ass occasions. I realize the numbers are off putting when it comes to the raw percentages but I will always be tweaking this as I go along. If i can make it a more even number without making the Minigun always having ammo, I'll figure something out!

More bugs means more coding!

Code: Select all

Hmm. Not seeing it. The pitch directions were copy/pasted from the main fire code so the main fire would technically have the same issue but I can't seem to replicate it.

-Arachnotrons still strafe when vanilla monsters are enabled.
I found the real issue: A_BabyMetal calls A_Chase. This means in SeeVanilla state, it was calling the default Missile state which is actually the updated state for Faspons. Fixed for sure. 100%. Totally. I promise.

-The airborne drop kick makes no impact sound.
Copy/paste error. Fixed!

-I'm missing an option to disable the spawning of casings and mags.
Currently it is placed under "Max Gibs and Casings" which can be set to 0. Now, this doesn't mean you won't see them appear on screen but the minute they hit the ground, they disappear.

-Sometimes the reloading script gets stuck, so any weapon will reload by itself whenever it is in the Ready state, until I press the reload key again.
Also, have you thought about changing to GZDoom's native reload function & key? This would remove the need for ACS.
Could be that when switching levels, and pressing the reload key, the inventory item stays with you. Perhaps getting rid of it and going with the default reload build into ZDoom would work better. So yeah, thought about it. Think someone else mentioned that I should do that. I'm trying to remember why I went with this but it escapes me. I'll look into it again.

EDIT: I REMEMBERED WHY I HAD THE INVENTORY ITEM FOR RELOADING: previously I did separate states for reloading being enabled or not when I first released the mod. I didn't know any other way of disabling reload in some fashion without creating an inventory item to check if I was reloading and having states disable reload in some way. It was a bit silly. However, since I've mod to a different way of "disabling" reload (where it just reloads without the animation), I think I can safely disable reloading with just a check for the cvar to see if reloading is enabled.

-Switch from numbered to named scripts to allow for greater map compatibility.
Something on my to-do list, I've just been so llllllaaaazzzzyyyy. It will get done!
shadstarn wrote:the version you have putt for download does not have reloading? yet i see reloading in the video and in the settings? iam confused
GAA1992 wrote:You have to bind a key in Options > Customize Controls. ALSO, make sure the reloading is enabled in the mod options menu.
What @GAA1992 said! Once I start going in the direction of removing the faspon reload key, can just use the default ZDoom one.
Someone64 wrote:I really like how the Arachnotron gets bloodier as it gets closer to dying. Unfortunately, this makes the monster incompatible with mods that show health like TopHPBar.

EDIT: Oh, it does work with it. But it causes an issue where the HP bar moves all over the place and never in the correct position.
Oh jeez, I never even thought about that mod. I'll have to look into seeing how that mod works and see if I can make my bloody skins more compatible. I don't want to break anything if I can.

EDIT: I know exactly what it is now: For the bloody sprites, I am using "#### #" to display the sprites as I don't want to have to create a version of each state with a health check because it becomes tedious. you can confirm this by summoning an arachnotron and seeing the health bar appear correct before he sees you. Once he sees you though or enters any other state, bam, the bar moves. I wonder if this is something the mod author could potentially fix!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

faslrn wrote:

Hmm. Not seeing it. The pitch directions were copy/pasted from the main fire code so the main fire would technically have the same issue but I can't seem to replicate it.
The fastest way to reproduce is as follows:
-start a new game.
-activate the alternative hud
-open the console.
-set 'hud_showangles' to true.
-type 'give all'.
-select the SSG.
-type 'take shell 99'
-fire, reload the last available shell.
-optional: type centerview to reset pitch to 0.
-open the automap
-fire, the pitch will go from 0 to -3.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:
faslrn wrote:

The fastest way to reproduce is as follows:
-start a new game.
-activate the alternative hud
-open the console.
-set 'hud_showangles' to true.
-type 'give all'.
-select the SSG.
-type 'take shell 99'
-fire, reload the last available shell.
-optional: type centerview to reset pitch to 0.
-open the automap
-fire, the pitch will go from 0 to -3.
Stiiillllll not seeing it :stuppor: Goes back to 0 pitch each time, full and single fires. Mind if you link me to the PK3 you have compiled?

Quick push:

LATEST UPDATES:

- CHANGE: All scripts are now named. Map compatibility huzza!
- CHANGE: Removed old reloading method and moved to the standard GZDoom reload functionality.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

GAA1992 wrote:You have to bind a key in Options > Customize Controls. ALSO, make sure the reloading is enabled in the mod options menu.

thank you i found out afterwards!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

faslrn wrote:Stiiillllll not seeing it :stuppor: Goes back to 0 pitch each time, full and single fires. Mind if you link me to the PK3 you have compiled?
Today, I downloaded the latest dev build from yesterday, and the problem still persists on my end :c

I'm using GZDoom v3.2.5 64-Bit, the only things I have in my autoload are:
-Sound Caulking
-DamNums v1.0.1
-NightFright's Brightmaps v1.41

Mouse filtering, smoothing and prescale are off. My sensitivity is set to 1.1, turning speed is 1.0 and mouselook speed is 0.5
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:
faslrn wrote:Stiiillllll not seeing it :stuppor: Goes back to 0 pitch each time, full and single fires. Mind if you link me to the PK3 you have compiled?
Today, I downloaded the latest dev build from yesterday, and the problem still persists on my end :c

I'm using GZDoom v3.2.5 64-Bit, the only things I have in my autoload are:
-Sound Caulking
-DamNums v1.0.1
-NightFright's Brightmaps v1.41

Mouse filtering, smoothing and prescale are off. My sensitivity is set to 1.1, turning speed is 1.0 and mouselook speed is 0.5
Fixed it. It was an issue because you disabled tracers! I was looking for ways the pitch could have been skipped and I found my copy/paste error! Pushed to DEV and REL.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: FEB 01 / DEV: FEB 01]

Post by faslrn »

Quick push:

LATEST UPDATES:

- NEW: Monster tracers on hitscan weapons. The tracer option has been updated to allow tracers for: Self and enemies, self only, and disabled
- NEW: Pinkies now bite and latch onto you in UA difficulty. Looking for feedback!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Report:

When pressing 'Kick' twice in rapid succession, i.e. pressing 'Kick' while already performing the kicking animation will commence another kick immediately after the first one has finished playing. Same goes for 'Throw Grenade'. IMO it makes these actions unresponsive or unreliable.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Report:

When pressing 'Kick' twice in rapid succession, i.e. pressing 'Kick' while already performing the kicking animation will commence another kick immediately after the first one has finished playing. Same goes for 'Throw Grenade'. IMO it makes these actions unresponsive or unreliable.
This is because of the inventory method for jumping into these states. I am looking for some easy workarounds to resolve this!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

faslrn wrote:

This is because of the inventory method for jumping into these states. I am looking for some easy workarounds to resolve this!
I have no idea how your method works, but if it's how I think it is, make the dummy inventory item a maximum of 1, and have it taken away at the END of the state. :D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:
faslrn wrote:

I have no idea how your method works, but if it's how I think it is, make the dummy inventory item a maximum of 1, and have it taken away at the END of the state. :D
Yep, works exactly like that already! Just had to put it at the end for most weapons, some needed some sly coding. All-in-all, fixed!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Quick update and news:

LATEST UPDATES:

- FIX: Kick and grenade buffering when hitting the buttons multiple times
- CHANGE: You now start with one grenade. Makes sense from a marine stand-point that you would have some additional arms on you!
- FIX: Missing BLOOD3 GLDEF is finally added after like what, 2 years?
- FIX: Updated Pinkie UA bite to look a tad better
- CHANGE: Pinkie scale is now 80% to make the UA bite look better. Might fiddle with this more.
- FIX: Pain chances were 255 instead of 256. I mean, you might need that 1.
- CHANGE/FIX/UPDATE: Mod structure in Gitlab is now flat! This means you can actually download the mod straight from Gitlab from a ZIP and run Faspons without having to compile it!
Notes on the last point there: you no longer have to compile the mod through the .BAT file to run the mod. Just click the links in the OP (Development or Release) and run the mod. I should have done this a long time ago but today is the day!
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: FEB 10 / DEV: FEB 10]

Post by faslrn »

Quick update:

LATEST UPDATES:

- CHANGE: NATO + Rifle mag box now provides only the ammo you need: if you have full NATO but need the mags, only the mags are taken and NATO is left in its place. If you have mags but need the NATO, only the NATO is taken and mags will be left in its place.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Since this mod doesn't have altfires, I have bound the kick action to the right mouse button. However, while the ability to charge the fist to triple the damage output is fine and dandy, what if someone now and then wants the old autofire back? I'd suggest to make it a CVAR or replace the kick when fists are selected, since you only need the kick as a melee option when wielding any ranged weapon. What's your stance on this, any more ideas? :D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Since this mod doesn't have altfires, I have bound the kick action to the right mouse button. However, while the ability to charge the fist to triple the damage output is fine and dandy, what if someone now and then wants the old autofire back? I'd suggest to make it a CVAR or replace the kick when fists are selected, since you only need the kick as a melee option when wielding any ranged weapon. What's your stance on this, any more ideas? :D
I'm looking into ways of getting the fist charge to work well without binding a specific button (alt-fire) just for it. Wouldn't want to make a CVAR just for this but I'm thinking of just making the HOLD state the auto-fire and if you double click, go into the charge mode.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”