Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: DEC 10]

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:Hey faslrn, I stumbled upon this thing, which makes spent Casings and Magazines to disappear in water. Really like it that way, because casings and magazines staying on water really grinds my gears. But it doesn't affect Gore. Think something can be done on your side so that Gore would be affected too?
Think that is something I could add!
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Have to say faslrn, every time I try to find some new gameplay mods that I'll enjoy and every time I fail and end up coming back to Faspons. It's just so damn good. Maybe some day I'll find time and force my lazy ass to learn some Doom modding and can contribute in some way. But right now I have no more than suggestions and questions.

Bugs:
  • Snailbullet makes monsters firing silent. Don't know if there's any other issues with it, but there are some errors popping out when it's loaded.
Suggestions:
  • Green leg sprite for kick?
  • Chainsaw idle sound loop sounds bad.
  • Casings should not make a sound on ejection.
  • The Pinky XDeath (Animation that plays when actor dies by taking a lot of damage, did I got it right?) is animated too fast. Look up how it looks in Smooth Doom for reference.
Questions:
  • Are you using this as a base when editing sprites?
  • The reload button doesn't use default reload function of ZDoom. Wondering why? To avoid conflicts with other mods?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:Have to say faslrn, every time I try to find some new gameplay mods that I'll enjoy and every time I fail and end up coming back to Faspons. It's just so damn good. Maybe some day I'll find time and force my lazy ass to learn some Doom modding and can contribute in some way. But right now I have no more than suggestions and questions.

Bugs:
  • Snailbullet makes monsters firing silent. Don't know if there's any other issues with it, but there are some errors popping out when it's loaded.
Suggestions:
  • Chainsaw idle sound loop sounds bad.
  • Casings should not make a sound on ejection.
  • The Pinky XDeath (Animation that plays when actor dies by taking a lot of damage, did I got it right?) is animated too fast. Look up how it looks in Smooth Doom for reference.
Questions:
  • The reload button doesn't use default reload function of ZDoom. Wondering why? To avoid conflicts with other mods?
Thanks for the feedback and kind words, it really means a lot to me.
Bugs:
It might be a tad out of date. I can patch it up.
Suggestions:
Green legs? Totally. Was trying to find a way to make the legs coloured depending on what skin you chose. I think I came to the conclusion it was impossible but I can do green!
[*]Chainsaw idle sound loop sounds bad.
Agreed. I've been working with Somagu to clean up some of the sounds, either by replacing them or tweaking them. This is on the list.
[*]Casings should not make a sound on ejection.
Makes sense. I'll fix this.
[*]The Pinky XDeath (Animation that plays when actor dies by taking a lot of damage, did I got it right?) is animated too fast. Look up how it looks in Smooth Doom for reference.[/list]
You got it right and I can tweak the timings.
Questions:
Negative. If I need to make a specific animation (like the double barrel cut-in-half kill on the zombies), I typically find a animation that has a nice falling over base and tweak it in photoshop. Sometimes I want to get a very specific sprite and I typically find whatever I can as a base and mod it (as long as people want it to be modded).
[*]The reload button doesn't use default reload function of ZDoom. Wondering why? To avoid conflicts with other mods?[/list]
I think the reasoning behind this was that since I used Weapons of Saturn as a base, I stuck with however certain controls were implemented. There may be a deeper reason but I can't remember. However, I am currently going through and cleaning up the code to either remove stuff that is useless, can be streamlined, or in the possible case of reloading - redundant when there are already features that take care of this functionality.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:
Bugs:
Think maybe it could become a part Faspons? Hitscans kinda suck.

Have another suggestion. When you take out the shotgun you make a pump. Kinda cool to see and hear that every time you take it out, but doesn't makes sense. Pumping it like that would just release and unspent shell. Yeah, I know that not everything have to be realistic or authentic, especially in Doom. But considering other small details you have in Faspons (like +1 on non empty reloads, different animations for empty reloads and mag drop only on empty reloads) I think it's a reasonable suggestion. Maybe make it do safety unlock sound just like the rifle, but a bit different?

P.S. No need to add linebreaks before and after quotes. It'll look fine and save space.

Edit: How about replacing Medkit icon on the HUD with a Berserk icon when you pick up Berserk, instead of writing BSRK?
Edit(2): Made some tweaks to health and armor numbers in SBARINFO. Red(0-25), Yellow(26-50), Green(51-100), Blue(101+).
Thinking about tweaking HUD from time to time. Maybe finding some place for a Mugshot and doing same coloring to ammo. What do you think? Maybe I should just send you edited SBARINFO when I have more stuff done, instead of posting bits every time I change something?

Edit(3): I'll just send you PK3 with tweaked SBARINFO when I'm done and you'll decide what to do with it.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:
Bugs:
Think maybe it could become a part Faspons? Hitscans kinda suck.

Have another suggestion. When you take out the shotgun you make a pump. Kinda cool to see and hear that every time you take it out, but doesn't makes sense. Pumping it like that would just release and unspent shell. Yeah, I know that not everything have to be realistic or authentic, especially in Doom. But considering other small details you have in Faspons (like +1 on non empty reloads, different animations for empty reloads and mag drop only on empty reloads) I think it's a reasonable suggestion. Maybe make it do safety unlock sound just like the rifle, but a bit different?

P.S. No need to add linebreaks before and after quotes. It'll look fine and save space.

Edit: How about replacing Medkit icon on the HUD with a Berserk icon when you pick up Berserk, instead of writing BSRK?
Edit(2): Made some tweaks to health and armor numbers in SBARINFO. Red(0-25), Yellow(26-50), Green(51-100), Blue(101+).
Thinking about tweaking HUD from time to time. Maybe finding some place for a Mugshot and doing same coloring to ammo. What do you think? Maybe I should just send you edited SBARINFO when I have more stuff done, instead of posting bits every time I change something?

Edit(3): I'll just send you PK3 with tweaked SBARINFO when I'm done and you'll decide what to do with it.
The shotgun pump was added to flair up the raise animation as I had some previous ideas but they turned out... terrible. BUT, now that some time has passed and I've learned a few things, I actually have a few other spicy weapon raise ideas in mind. I'll try a few out to see if I can make them look good.

Thanks for the help with the hud as well. I'll take a look at it once you send it over!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:Thanks for the help with the hud as well. I'll take a look at it once you send it over!
Here's the changelog. I'll update it as I go. Here's a preview of what I currently have:
Spoiler:
I have more plans like having a mugshot on Fullscreen HUD, adding grenade counter to Status Bar, moving Adrenaline Bar on Status Bar behind mugshot (inspired by FINAL DOOMER BFG Ammo Bar) and etc.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: FEB 19]

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:Thanks for the help with the hud as well. I'll take a look at it once you send it over!
Here's the changelog. I'll update it as I go. Here's a preview of what I currently have:
Spoiler:
I have more plans like having a mugshot on Fullscreen HUD, adding grenade counter to Status Bar, moving Adrenaline Bar on Status Bar behind mugshot (inspired by FINAL DOOMER BFG Ammo Bar) and etc.
That looks really nice! Keep on going!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:That looks really nice! Keep on going!
New Riot Gun animation is rad man! Maybe tweak some timings, but otherwise really good. Think SSG needs a new one too. Kinda weird how you fold it every time when you take it out. Maybe make it look like you take it out form your left. Animation would look like a reload but in reverse and without reloading part.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:That looks really nice! Keep on going!
New Riot Gun animation is rad man! Maybe tweak some timings, but otherwise really good. Think SSG needs a new one too. Kinda weird how you fold it every time when you take it out. Maybe make it look like you take it out form your left. Animation would look like a reload but in reverse and without reloading part.
Which riotgun animation? The reverse deselect or the one where he swings the gun from the right to left? I am pushing a few changes to fix bugs.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:Which riotgun animation? The reverse deselect or the one where he swings the gun from the right to left? I am pushing a few changes to fix bugs.
The new one. Select animation. Where he pulls it out and grabs a pump.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:Which riotgun animation? The reverse deselect or the one where he swings the gun from the right to left? I am pushing a few changes to fix bugs.
The new one. Select animation. Where he pulls it out and grabs a pump.
Ah okay. I've been tweaking it a fair bit and pushed another change for the animation (which is just the reverse of the deselect now) but that is because I felt the animation you were talking about felt a bit unfinished. I will tweak the heck out of this and try to get it Stg. Shivers smooth.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Spoiler: New Adrenaline Bar for Status Bar
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
Spoiler: New Adrenaline Bar for Status Bar
I would of never thought to put the bar behind the mugshot. That's a great idea, seems so obvious now that you did it!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

I was thinking about Minigun reload. Maybe make it act like every other weapon? If you try to fire while it's empty and you have NATO ammo, it reloads itself? Thought about it after wasting hours on trying to make that damned reload hint look good. :lol:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I do not exactly know when you changed most weapon sprites, but i dig this A FUCKING LOT. The RL wasn't a surprise since i saw it on BDJ, but that SSG and that Chaingun... God.

I love this mod. Thanks a bunch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”