Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Faspons [REL: APR 06 2018 / DEV: JUN 01 2019]

Post by Dwailing »

Is the super shotgun reload sound supposed to be so quiet? The firing sound is perfect, but I can barely hear the reload sound, which is a shame since it's a big part of what makes the super shotgun so satisfying to use imo.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Gotta say this is my favorite vanilla+ weapons mod, thanks for making this.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

LATEST UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- FIXED: Invisible Pinkie when he charges
- CHANGED: SSG reload sounds are amplified so you can hear those sweet shells entering those holes
AL-97 wrote:Faspons is one of my favourite gameplay mods and I'm excited to see it developed further!

Came across two minor bugs when using the latest dev version of the mod.
When jumping and pressing kick, leg sprite gets mirrored: https://gfycat.com/optimisticflawedbobolink
After performing dash at the player and taking damage pinky can become invisible. Think this also affect spectres: https://gfycat.com/feistyinconsequentialegg
Thanks for that! I'm trying my best to at least get some tweaks here and there. I'm not as active as I once was but I still lurk around the corner to see what is happening.

The issue with the invisible Pinkies is fixed with the latest change and yeah, the double legs is actually a drop-kick. Does double the damage and double the knockback. Has a smaller little tweak where if you do the drop-kick, there is a bit of a delay getting up from the crouched position to simulate getting to your feet. Not a massive power-move but I just like little things like this.

As well, big shout out to your videos man. The latest one made me really appreciate the non-reload mode. Smooth as hell!
Dwailing wrote:Is the super shotgun reload sound supposed to be so quiet? The firing sound is perfect, but I can barely hear the reload sound, which is a shame since it's a big part of what makes the super shotgun so satisfying to use imo.
Newest update amplifies the SSG reload sounds. Let me know if that sounds better!
Crudux Cruo wrote:Gotta say this is my favorite vanilla+ weapons mod, thanks for making this.
You're welcome dude! Thanks for the praise!

On another note: I've been peeking around here but haven't been as active due to a few things. One of the major things is that:

I'm gonna be a Dad yo

I'll still sneak in and do coding for mods and what-not, I'll just be doing that with a little Caco around and teaching them to play DOOM obviously.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

faslrn wrote:I'm gonna be a Dad yo
Congratulations! Good luck! :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Rachael wrote:
Congratulations! Good luck! :)
Thanks! :D
Crudux Cruo

Re: Faspons [REL: APR 06 2018 / DEV: JUL 18 2019]

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Hey, congrats!
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Now that is something much more important than a Doom mod. Congratulations and all the best wishes!
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: APR 06 2018 / DEV: AUG 18 2019]

Post by faslrn »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Hey, congrats!
AL-97 wrote:
Now that is something much more important than a Doom mod. Congratulations and all the best wishes!
Thanks you guys!

Also, quick fix as I was playing through some maps:

LATEST UPDATES:

- FIXED: Left-over misnamed pinkie spawn sprite frames that were not renamed caused them to appear as "!"
- FIXED: Status bar width now covers the empty spaces
- FIXED: 16:10 and 4:3 Visor HUD health and armor icons not lining up correctly with the numeric values
- FIXED: Zombiemen disappearing briefly when kicked while they are idle
- CHANGED: Slot 8 now is just the Riotgun and Slot 9 is just the DBS to allow to individual mappings
- CHANGED: Created generic adrenaline giver script so custom monsters in map packs provide adrenaline instead of nothing. Technically can use Faspons with custom monster mods and still get adrenaline.
- MERGED: DEV into REL to catch it up
- NEW: Visor hud armor icon now displays either the normal teal color for basic armor (at least 1 armor), green for green armor, and blue for blue armor.
- NEW: Health icon on the visor now fills in the middle cross with red once when you have berserk.
Last edited by faslrn on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 18 2019 / DEV: AUG 18 2019]

Post by faslrn »

Quick thing:

I've added in a generic adrenaline giver script (based on max health of the monster) a couple minutes ago so that any map sets that have custom monsters will now contribute to the fear system. This also means you could technically use custom monster packs or mods and still get use out of adrenaline.

First pass at the feature, will be updating it as time goes on.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 18 2019 / DEV: AUG 21 2019]

Post by faslrn »

Marine, I'm not sure where that teleporter took you but you sure aren't in Kansas anymore...

LATEST UPDATES:

- NEW: The very beginnings of the Heretic compatibility. I need testers!
The weapons and ammo are replaced. Visor HUD has some updates to do some tests with some game checker tokens to see if I can get certain things to work.

I need some help as I actually haven't played Heretic, Hexen, or Strife much at all so the game balance is lost on me. There are a lot of things that need updating for the Heretic base including:

- Proper status bars
- Power-up changes
- If I replaced the correct weapons
- If I replaced the correct ammo
- Power-up replacements
- Monster updates
- Etc.
Any feedback on what I can do to make Heretic, Hexen, and Strife get the Faspon love would be amazing!
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

I've just tested the dev version on Heretic.

Here's the ideas that i can give you for the ammunition :
Spoiler: For the next update (Heretic Compatibility)
Also, some fonts for the HUD must be added in the mod (Doom Fonts are not visible in Heretic, Hexen and Strife).
16:9 HUD is also required (I'm playing in a 1920 x 1080 screen).

I'm ready to help you for the developpement of your mod for Heretic, Hexen and Strife compatibilities !
Last edited by Ac!d on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@fasrln

Do you aim for Zandronum compatibility? Because there are some ways your mod could be "cleaned up" or simplified. Such as using "filter" folders for different games and MAPINFO instead of RandomSpawners to replace items. If you want, I can cook up a version with these changes/additions for you to compare and decide if you wanna stick to your style or adopt it :D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Ac!d wrote:I've just tested the dev version on Heretic.

Here's the ideas that i can give you for the ammunition :
Spoiler: For the next update (Heretic Compatibility)
Also, some fonts for the HUD must be added in the mod (Doom Fonts are not visible in Heretic, Hexen and Strife).
16:9 HUD is also required (I'm playing in a 1920 x 1080 screen).

I'm ready to help you for the developpement of your mod for Heretic, Hexen and Strife compatibilities !
Thanks for the feedback and help dude! It is gonna be really helpful to get this off the ground!
DabbingSquidward wrote:@fasrln

Do you aim for Zandronum compatibility? Because there are some ways your mod could be "cleaned up" or simplified. Such as using "filter" folders for different games and MAPINFO instead of RandomSpawners to replace items. If you want, I can cook up a version with these changes/additions for you to compare and decide if you wanna stick to your style or adopt it :D
It is something I shot for before and I am willing to try it again! I know there are things in the code that Zand doesn't work with right away so I would need to re-check those. If you could cook that up and I can review it, I wouldn't mind at all! I can take the help where I can get it!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

And done!
Here's the list of changes:

-Instead of using RandomSpawners for Heretic, I used MAPINFO's DoomEdNums definition. This has the added benefit of being mostly universal.
The MAPINFO will replace Heretic's weapons and ammo with vanilla Doom's, so they can in turn be replaced by Faspons' ordnance.
Another benefit of using DoomEdNums over RandomSpawners is that multiple entities can be replaced by the exact same thing, Randomspawners can only replace one item.
-While I was at it, I fixed a small bug. SmallBelt was renamed to AmmoBelt because otherwise you wouldn't have it in your inventory and it wouldn't be dropped by chaingunners.
-Replaced both the Mace and the MaceSpawner with the BFG and a BFGSpawner, so both setups are covered for maps that use either of them. The original Mace never had a DoomEdNum, so for this exception there still is a Randomspawner.
-Went ahead and finished up the rest of the ammo replacements, feel free to change them if you wish. I chose the following:
GoldwandAmmo = Clip
GoldwandHefty = ClipBox
BlasterAmmo = Clip
BlasterHefty = ClipBox
CrossbowAmmo = Shell
CrossbowHefty = ShellBox
PhoenixRodAmmo = RocketAmmo
PhoenixRodHefty = RocketBox
SkullRodAmmo = Cell
SkullRodHefty = CellPack
MaceAmmo = Cell
MaceHefty = CellPack
One more thing, for the HUD to work you need to copy the AMMNUM, STGNUM, STYSNUM, STTNUM, STTPRCNT and the mugshot frames from the Doom IWAD into Faspons and convert them to PNG.
The file is hosted on uploadfiles.io and the link will expire in 30 days. I can choose another hoster if desired, but I deemed this not necessary as this is intended just for you to evaluate.

https://ufile.io/oyq8ms1x

Enjoy and feedback is welcomed!

Edit: If this doesn't work with ZandyBam (haven't tested), then I can try a different approach or suggest to make two different versions. Since GZDoom and Zan multiplayer is not compatible anyway.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:And done!
Here's the list of changes:

-Instead of using RandomSpawners for Heretic, I used MAPINFO's DoomEdNums definition. This has the added benefit of being mostly universal.
The MAPINFO will replace Heretic's weapons and ammo with vanilla Doom's, so they can in turn be replaced by Faspons' ordnance.
Another benefit of using DoomEdNums over RandomSpawners is that multiple entities can be replaced by the exact same thing, Randomspawners can only replace one item.
-While I was at it, I fixed a small bug. SmallBelt was renamed to AmmoBelt because otherwise you wouldn't have it in your inventory and it wouldn't be dropped by chaingunners.
-Replaced both the Mace and the MaceSpawner with the BFG and a BFGSpawner, so both setups are covered for maps that use either of them. The original Mace never had a DoomEdNum, so for this exception there still is a Randomspawner.
-Went ahead and finished up the rest of the ammo replacements, feel free to change them if you wish. I chose the following:
GoldwandAmmo = Clip
GoldwandHefty = ClipBox
BlasterAmmo = Clip
BlasterHefty = ClipBox
CrossbowAmmo = Shell
CrossbowHefty = ShellBox
PhoenixRodAmmo = RocketAmmo
PhoenixRodHefty = RocketBox
SkullRodAmmo = Cell
SkullRodHefty = CellPack
MaceAmmo = Cell
MaceHefty = CellPack
One more thing, for the HUD to work you need to copy the AMMNUM, STGNUM, STYSNUM, STTNUM, STTPRCNT and the mugshot frames from the Doom IWAD into Faspons and convert them to PNG.
The file is hosted on uploadfiles.io and the link will expire in 30 days. I can choose another hoster if desired, but I deemed this not necessary as this is intended just for you to evaluate.

https://ufile.io/oyq8ms1x

Enjoy and feedback is welcomed!

Edit: If this doesn't work with ZandyBam (haven't tested), then I can try a different approach or suggest to make two different versions. Since GZDoom and Zan multiplayer is not compatible anyway.
Thanks dude! I will take a look in the next day or so and integrate some of those pieces. From first glance, I see what you are doing with the MAPINFO piece where we are simply replacing items on the map with the Doom equivalent, that way I can keep the actors the same without having to create Heretic specific ones (at least, I think that is how it is working).

I'll probably have some more questions going into this. Plus, I would need to test out a lot of little pieces of functionality in Zand including the way I am doing the whole soul code and also little janky stuff behind the scenes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”