Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Faspons [REL: FEB 11 / DEV: FEB 11]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Trying to reload with no reserve ammo and a not fully loaded clip will play the dryfire sound and prevent the weapon from firing for a few seconds, atleast with the combat rifle. Weapon switching works as normal however.

EDIT: Not sure if intentional, but the flying kick does damage as long as the player is airborne/the animation plays. Also, the ground kick makes the player stop abruptly, imo it could be changed to make the player slower instead of instantly halt. Last thing of note is that the ACS method for kicking could be relocated to GZDoom's internal altfire option :D

EDIT #2: Before, the combined bulletbox gave 60 rifle ammo (two whole clips), now it's 30 but the sprite still shows two clips. I find this irritating, but it makes sense if they are supposed to be half loaded clips. If I could make another suggestion, make clips dropped by zombies give 15 ammo like before, map placed clips give 30, and the bulletbox could give 60. Or, like I said before, make an additional large clip only pickup to compliment the NATO only and combined box that gives 60 and change the NATO amount of the combined box to 25. Also change the small belt amount from 20 to 25 to compensate, and because it's the half of 50 :P
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Trying to reload with no reserve ammo and a not fully loaded clip will play the dryfire sound and prevent the weapon from firing for a few seconds, atleast with the combat rifle. Weapon switching works as normal however.
Removed the NoFire flag. Should be able to fire now!
DabbingSquidward wrote:EDIT: Not sure if intentional, but the flying kick does damage as long as the player is airborne/the animation plays. Also, the ground kick makes the player stop abruptly, imo it could be changed to make the player slower instead of instantly halt. Last thing of note is that the ACS method for kicking could be relocated to GZDoom's internal altfire option :D
Intentional ATM until I have a better way of detecting you have hit an object once and stop the animation and damage.

Can't move the kick to the alt-fire since some states rely on checking for the kick item during certain animations.
DabbingSquidward wrote:EDIT #2: Before, the combined bulletbox gave 60 rifle ammo (two whole clips), now it's 30 but the sprite still shows two clips. I find this irritating, but it makes sense if they are half loaded clips. If I could make another suggestion, make clips dropped by zombies give 15 ammo like before, map placed clips give 30, and the bulletbox could give 60. Or, like I said before, make an additional large clip only pickup to compliment the NATO only and combined box that gives 60 and change the NATO amount of the combined box to 25.
The reason why it gives 30 clips max is because of the coding I implemented: if you have full rifle ammo but can grab the NATO, then two rifle mags are spawned which would give 15 ammo each like normal. Wouldn't make sense to give 60 and then sometimes 30 depending if you could grab the rifle ammo right away. I could change it to 30 for these drops but again, I want consistency with the ammo being picked up: if I see a clip, I know I am getting a certain amount of ammo.

If I wanted to change the clip amounts, I would make another sprite for it to let the player know it is either a half or full clip in some manner.
DabbingSquidward wrote:Also change the small belt amount from 20 to 25 to compensate, and because it's the half of 50 :P
I'll bump the small belt to 25 :D
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

While I can agree with your design decisions, I find it odd that your mod (un)intentionally defies vanilla Doom behavior. For example, like I said earlier, in vanilla Doom, a clip, shotgun or chaingun placed in the map give 10, 8 and 20 ammo respectively. If they are dropped by a zombieman, shotgunguy or chaingun guy however, their amounts are halved to 5, 4 and 10 ammo respectively. This normally also applies to weapon mods, but not if ammo is given via A_GiveInventory or dropped from a Randomspawner. Because of the way these are set up, the monster drop amounts need to be explicitly defined. Even now, clips in the map AND from zombiemen give 15 bullets, when under normal circumstances they should give 7 (7.5, rounded down). That's why I suggested making the clips that are already in the map give 30 ammo, because that's a fully loaded rifle (without one in the chamber) and making the zombies drop clips which give 15 ammo, which would mirror the default behaviour.

Regardless, this is your mod, so I can take no as an answer :)

P.S. Because the monsters' raise states check for an arch-vile to be in their vicinity, so they are raised as normal instead of ghosts, they are incompatible with maps that raise corpses via ACS scripts.

P.P.S. Killing custom monsters doesn't yield drenaline. The probably only way to proactively make the system work would be with ZScript.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:While I can agree with your design decisions, I find it odd that your mod (un)intentionally defies vanilla Doom behavior. For example, like I said earlier, in vanilla Doom, a clip, shotgun or chaingun placed in the map give 10, 8 and 20 ammo respectively. If they are dropped by a zombieman, shotgunguy or chaingun guy however, their amounts are halved to 5, 4 and 10 ammo respectively. This normally also applies to weapon mods, but not if ammo is given via A_GiveInventory or dropped from a Randomspawner. Because of the way these are set up, the monster drop amounts need to be explicitly defined. Even now, clips in the map AND from zombiemen give 15 bullets, when under normal circumstances they should give 7 (7.5, rounded down). That's why I suggested making the clips that are already in the map give 30 ammo, because that's a fully loaded rifle (without one in the chamber) and making the zombies drop clips which give 15 ammo, which would mirror the default behaviour.

Regardless, this is your mod, so I can take no as an answer :)
I think I defile a lot of vanilla Doom behavior in this mod but isn't that sort of the point? :lol: Here's the thing though: you are looking at the mod through a lens of numbers and details. I'm not trying to do that and as I said in my project scope, I look at things from a lore or behavioral lens: would a full clip really be laying around? Possibly, but more likely not if other Marines or zombies are using them. I really think a majority of the stuff laying around is from other Marines gunning through the same corridors and halls you are walking and because of this, the ammo you pick up is probably used in some manner.

Sometimes you have the steer from the norm; I never liked the paved road anyways ;-)
DabbingSquidward wrote:P.S. Because the monsters' raise states check for an arch-vile to be in their vicinity, so they are raised as normal instead of ghosts, they are incompatible with maps that raise corpses via ACS scripts.
I could probably flip the logic around so it checks for a lost soul and raises it that way instead... however it has been pretty stable with the current logic. I'll see if I can work something out.
DabbingSquidward wrote:P.P.S. Killing custom monsters doesn't yield drenaline. The probably only way to proactively make the system work would be with ZScript.
Yeah, I was thinking of making the adrenaline be purely given by ACS instead of by individual monster to allow for custom monsters to work correctly. I'll be working on this!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

faslrn wrote:I think I defile a lot of vanilla Doom behavior in this mod but isn't that sort of the point? :lol: Here's the thing though: you are looking at the mod through a lens of numbers and details. I'm not trying to do that and as I said in my project scope, I look at things from a lore or behavioral lens: would a full clip really be laying around? Possibly, but more likely not if other Marines or zombies are using them. I really think a majority of the stuff laying around is from other Marines gunning through the same corridors and halls you are walking and because of this, the ammo you pick up is probably used in some manner.

Sometimes you have the steer from the norm; I never liked the paved road anyways ;-)
Truer words have never been spoken :)

Now that you mention it, it doesn't actually bother me that this mod abides by its own rules. It's actually just that I wanted to know that you're aware of the behaviour and that the mod works as desired. If it's intentionally like this, then it's totally fine by me :D
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

ForceScaled needs to be removed from SBARINFO.SBAR. It's in the first line. Causes issues with HUD scaling making it pretty much useless. At the time of me making this HUD scaling options were not as good as they are now.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: FEB 24 / DEV: FEB 24]

Post by faslrn »

Something new:

LATEST UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- NEW: Custom visor HUD has been created and implemented! You can toggle it on/off in the Faspon's menu options
- NEW/FIX: All HUDs support 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 now!
- Fix: Pinkie (UA) now let's go of his prey once the target is dead
Why a new visor HUD? I've always loved the idea of having one especially since one of my favorite games is Metroid Prime, and when I used some other visor HUDs in the community, it sealed the deal. Why create one now though? Since I have a bit more coding experience, thought I would cook one up.

The idea is to make it as minimal as possible so it doesn't waste any screen space while still giving you the details you need. I tried to make the fonts and icons mimic an older visor screen so hopefully it looks alright. I would love some feedback on the HUD!

Preview of the visor hud:

Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

That HUD looks nice! You actually took some weight off my shoulders with that HUD of yours! I wasn't fully satisfied with mine, but had no desire to work on a new one or improving the old one. And now I'm busy learning 3D.

Right now the only thing I think could be improved is the font readability.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

New HUD scaling has some issues. I'm using the latest stable GZDoom.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/V9Rs6N4[/imgur]
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tag on screenshot(s).
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Bigger C wrote:New HUD scaling has some issues. I'm using the latest stable GZDoom.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/V9Rs6N4[/imgur]
Try using the following HUD scale settings and let me know if it works:

Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

That worked!

Still my favorite "vanilla-plus" mod, by the way.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Bigger C wrote:That worked!

Still my favorite "vanilla-plus" mod, by the way.
Glad to hear! I'm going to be making some updates in the near future to clean up some more code and finish the bloody monster sprites so I can finally get that off my plate. Then it would be onto Ultimate Agitation and finally starting to work on the monster revamps for that!
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

This is, as always, great.

My only real bug is how pathetic Zombieman fire is. Each shot does a whopping 1 point of damage, and their three-round bursts, rare as they are, only seem to do damage on the first shot. I can basically safely ignore these guys at all times; even vanilla Zombiemen can ping your health away or kill you with a lucky flanking shot.

Since they're toting automatic rifles, I'd say they should at least always fire three shots per attack. To make them a little more "unique" as an enemy, perhaps they would have the best accuracy out of the zombies, in return for the weakest attack (something like 4-6 damage per bullet). Alternatively they could simply spray more often- if I was a murderous possessed grunt within 15 feet of my enemy, I probably wouldn't go for clean tap shots, I'd empty my magazine from the hip.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Retraux Squid wrote:This is, as always, great.

My only real bug is how pathetic Zombieman fire is. Each shot does a whopping 1 point of damage, and their three-round bursts, rare as they are, only seem to do damage on the first shot. I can basically safely ignore these guys at all times; even vanilla Zombiemen can ping your health away or kill you with a lucky flanking shot.

Since they're toting automatic rifles, I'd say they should at least always fire three shots per attack. To make them a little more "unique" as an enemy, perhaps they would have the best accuracy out of the zombies, in return for the weakest attack (something like 4-6 damage per bullet). Alternatively they could simply spray more often- if I was a murderous possessed grunt within 15 feet of my enemy, I probably wouldn't go for clean tap shots, I'd empty my magazine from the hip.
This was a stupid mistake that has been long forgotten: I initially went from the A_PosAttack function to the A_CustomBulletAttack so long ago but never tweaked the damage they did correctly. I pushed a fix to DEV and REL so that rifle zombies actually do their OG DOOM damage and not use the pea shooters previously.

Plus, I actually made a mistake and put 0 damage for their second shot (every time). I'm an amazing play tester and programmer! It's fixed now though!

LATEST UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- FIX: Rifle zombies actually do their OG Doom damage now and not use peashooters
- FIX: Rifle zombies actually do damage on their second shot now!  WOW, FUND IT.
- CHANGE: Shotgun zombies move a tad faster in UA in their see state
StroggVorbis

Re: Faspons [REL: APR 06 / DEV: APR 06]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Just wanted to say that the (vanilla) arachnotron still attacks less often than normal. It seems like if it starts moving it always has to go through the chase state completely, making like 2 or 3 steps and can only choose to attack inbetween, not mid-movement. Would you maybe change the "Vanilla-like" monster CVAR to make them 100% vanilla? As in, ignore all definitions from Faspons, as if it was a weapons-only gameplay mod. Also, I don't know if ZScript is up your alley, but in theory you could port the Rage/Adrenaline mechanic over, so it works globally with any custom monster. The amount could be a percentage of the spawn health for example. Nevertheless, do you still plan on adding a large Combat Rifle ammo-only and a small combined Rifle+Minigun ammo pickup? Still enjoying it thus far :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”