Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 06 / DEV: DEV 11]

Post by faslrn »

Neccronixis wrote:It's good to see you're still updating this mod; it's in my top 3 vanilla-esque mods along with Beautiful doom & Smooth Doom.
I don't know why but gzdoom immediately freezes if you attempt to perform a slide when strafing. Using the latest Gzdoom 3.2.3
EDIT: It seems if you do not press crouch followed by kick fast enough the game will crash.

If there's anything I'd add to the mod:
- Extra death animation for some of the monsters for varieties sake, and weapons specific deaths like chainsaw slashes for lower tier enemies and bfg/plasma burn deaths for mancubus, knights & barons, arachnotrons and archviles.
- Alternate random attack for the cyberdemon: a faster burst of rockets with a random spread.
- Alternate random attack for Spider Mastermind like a faster chaingun burst and make him expel empty shell casings like other enemies.
Thanks for the feedback Necc!

I'll check into the slide bug there. I've been slimming down the code to try and make it so much more clean than it is now and I might of ballsed something up there. Remember when I said this?:
I had a inventory remove in the Ready state specifically for the slide inventory item. I forgot why I put it there so I removed it for now. It will probably bite me in the ass at some point until I remember why I put it there!
I do too... I fixed the bug.

For the Cyberdemon and Mastermind, totally agree; going to be adding some extra oomph to them both as they are still push-overs with a simple melee stomp attack.

Now for animations: Christ, I'm terrible at sprite mods so I'll take these in stride. I did the SSG blown-in-half gibs "myself" (aka copy and pasted the cut line work and pasted in blood) but I'll try my best to get those in because I agree: would love to see plasma deaths for everyone and expand on the weapon specific deaths. Chainsaw? I have a few ideas knocking around.
JustAGuy

Re: Faspons [REL: DEV 14 / DEV: DEV 14]

Post by JustAGuy »

A really Amazing mod, So far I love it.Also after I crouch and move I can't slide kick anymore and sometimes the slide kick does not work it just pushes me.I hope you will do something about that.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

JustAGuy wrote:A really Amazing mod, So far I love it.Also after I crouch and move I can't slide kick anymore and sometimes the slide kick does not work it just pushes me.I hope you will do something about that.
Hey man, thanks for the kind words!

I figured out the issue: I was creating an infinite loop. Fixed the bug and pushed it to both DEV and REL.

For the slide kick not coming out when crouching, there is a built-in timelimit of 15 frames that you must crouch and then hit the kick button in order to slide. I did this to add a bit of realism as you shouldn't be able to crouch and move and then transition into a slide. Makes more sense when running full-tilt and sliding around.

LATEST DEVELOPMENT/RELEASE UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- FIX: No more freezes when sliding
- FIX: Slide animation is actually shown when you have full ammo
- CHANGE: Slide now deals damage more consistently and feels much easier to make contant
- CHANGE: Slide kick projectile no longer produces sound when striking an object to reduce sound overlap
- UPGRADE: Slide damage increases when you grab a berserk pack
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Maybe this is just me, but it kind of bothers me that there's no large ammo pickup for the assault rifle. And with the occasional clip potentially replaced by some NATO rounds, I sometimes find myself starved for ammo. Kinda ironic, I almost never use the pistol, but I grew so fond of the rifle, that I use it almost exclusively. Also due to the fact that its the most accurate weapon in your arsenal :D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Maybe this is just me, but it kind of bothers me that there's no large ammo pickup for the assault rifle. And with the occasional clip potentially replaced by some NATO rounds, I sometimes find myself starved for ammo. Kinda ironic, I almost never use the pistol, but I grew so fond of the rifle, that I use it almost exclusively. Also due to the fact that its the most accurate weapon in your arsenal :D
I had toyed with this problem for a loooooong time. Since NATO is a new type of ammo, I have a hard time providing ammo without affecting the default item placement of most, if not all, map wads.

So, because it's 10PM and I had some nog: NATO and Rifle Mags are now friends: TRUMPET NOISE

Now you will get two mag clips included with every NATO box.

I just need to add the code. Let me finish my nog. Nog finished and new ammo box added in both DEV and REL. Should provide players with more rifle ammo with fiddle with.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Bug: the shotgun stops bobbing after pumped (but continues after reloading).
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Someone64 wrote:Bug: the shotgun stops bobbing after pumped (but continues after reloading).
Fixed and pushed 8-)
JustAGuy

Post by JustAGuy »

The slide kick works better now, I'm amazed how fast you fixed it.Also can you add gloves to doomguy's fists, it looks a bit weird when switching to fists, doomguy doesn't have gloves anymore.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

JustAGuy wrote:The slide kick works better now, I'm amazed how fast you fixed it.Also can you add gloves to doomguy's fists, it looks a bit weird when switching to fists, doomguy doesn't have gloves anymore.
I code at the speed of eggnog.

I could try finding some smooth glove fists :wink:
JustAGuy

Post by JustAGuy »

Brutal Doom has the classic fists with gloves and they look amazing and the animation is really good, I think the animation is from Smooth Doom if I'm not mistaking.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

JustAGuy wrote:Brutal Doom has the classic fists with gloves and they look amazing and the animation is really good, I think the animation is from Smooth Doom if I'm not mistaking.
K, modified the sprites with the Beautiful Doom ones since they looked quite nice. Also added a new feature while I was at it: if you hold down fire with your fists, you will charge up for a more powerful punch that does 50% more damage!
JustAGuy

Re: Faspons [REL: DEV 15 / DEV: DEV 15]

Post by JustAGuy »

Brilliant work, finally my heart can stay at peace, You still amaze me how fast you work.I also really like the punch charge up.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: DEV 15 / DEV: DEV 15]

Post by faslrn »

JustAGuy wrote:Brilliant work, finally my heart can stay at peace, You still amaze me how fast you work.I also really like the punch charge up.
Thanks again for the praise. Honestly though, I can't do most of this stuff without the DOOM community since they have such awesome artists, coders, and provide great feedback.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: DEC 16 / DEV: DEC 16]

Post by faslrn »

Quick update:

LATEST DEVELOPMENT/RELEASE UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- UPGRADE: Removed more useless files from the project in an effort to reduce filesize.
- FIX/CHANGE/UPGRADE: Lost soul resurrection code has been completely remade. Old ACS has been removed and is now done through pure decorate in a effort remove the infinite soul res glitch and simplify the code. This logic has now brought up a key monster point: Archviles and Lost souls are BFFs (kind of).
Neccronixis

Re: Faspons [REL: DEC 16 / DEV: DEC 16]

Post by Neccronixis »

Here is a simple addon I run after the mod that makes some slight adjustments to some sprites. There are some new sprites and small changes, but the existing ones have been adjusted so that they match the doomguy hand colour palette.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ar4t2333x ... prites.pk3

Return to “Gameplay Mods”