[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b03

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Beed28 wrote:Here's a small sneak peak at what the future may hold...
If memory serves right, in Contra 4 you could collect the same weapon twice to amplify it. Is that what we're seeing here?
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Captain J wrote:
Beed28 wrote:Both are incorrect, but nice guesses.
but it was not a guess, though. but i can see the homing missile icon is colored into blue. is this some kind of enhancement for each weapons?
Combine_Kegan wrote:
Beed28 wrote:Here's a small sneak peak at what the future may hold...
If memory serves right, in Contra 4 you could collect the same weapon twice to amplify it. Is that what we're seeing here?
Bingo! ;)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

ahh, now i get it. i think the double weapon powerup was used since the arcade version of the super contra; when you get the same weapon, it amplifies the firepower.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

There's all sorts of clever usages of the weapon system across the franchise. The stock weapon swap from Shattered Soldier and Neo, Character-based weapons in Hard Corps (including powerful ones like Brad's chargeable Psychic Blaster), and so forth. Upgradable weapons get no complaints from me, having a cluster of weapon power-ups just blocking the path will actually be of use now.
Beed28

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b03 - Requesting spriters

Post by Beed28 »

Hey everybody, I have a small request. I need sprite rotations for the Homing Missile, Crusher Missile, Laser, and then the rifle itself.

Homing Missile:

Crusher Missile; should be simple since it's a palette swap of the Homing Missile:

Laser; remember the Laser is segmented in Contra Doom, with four projectiles per laser:

However, I'm no sprite artist, especially when it comes to rotations, so I fear they would end up looking terrible if I tried it myself. The rifle itself should have the same frames (as well as gun flash) as the standard Doom Shotgun sprite currently being used.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

don't worry, it's done;
contra3projectiles4doom.PNG
contra3projectiles4doom.PNG (1.26 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
EDIT: oops, added some extra missing frames.
IMX

Post by IMX »

Daaaamn, this almost goes off my radar! Gonna try this out later on!
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Captain J wrote:don't worry, it's done;
contra3projectiles4doom.PNG
EDIT: oops, added some extra missing frames.
Thank you for sharing these! I've finished implementing them now. They look amazing in game. About the rifle, I should have elaborated on that more, my fault; it's for the HUD/first person view of the rifle. It's a low priority for now, though.

Anyway, things left to do include sounds for the player's weapons (I found the Spread and Laser sounds in the Contra III sounds file YukesVonFaust sent, but I've yet to find for the others), possibly GLDEFS, and finally, a Zandronum version.

Fun fact: deathmatch is supported and works with bots, although I don't recommend using it for serious/competetive matches. :P

Incidentally, has anyone tested co-op yet?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Do you have plans for a different death penalty system? Like an extra life system where if you run out you die and have to restart the level? From what I saw, losing score is the only real penalty and that makes it too easy.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Valherran wrote:Do you have plans for a different death penalty system? Like an extra life system where if you run out you die and have to restart the level? From what I saw, losing score is the only real penalty and that makes it too easy.
Sadly, ZDoom doesn't have a lives system of any kind. You can get that sort of thing, though, in Zandronum's Survival mode (and sv_maxlives), but Contra Doom doesn't support Zandronum... yet.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Not to mention the respawning for ZDoom in general is so dodgy that you either respawn where you died, respawn at the beginning of the level, or start the level over again. A lives system in ZDoom would probably be inefficient if the game just decides "whoop back to level start for you" no matter how many lives you have.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Beed28 wrote:
Valherran wrote:Do you have plans for a different death penalty system? Like an extra life system where if you run out you die and have to restart the level? From what I saw, losing score is the only real penalty and that makes it too easy.
Sadly, ZDoom doesn't have a lives system of any kind. You can get that sort of thing, though, in Zandronum's Survival mode (and sv_maxlives), but Contra Doom doesn't support Zandronum... yet.
What if you rigged it to how Demonsteele does it with its health system? Except when you get hit it would display a death animation instead and you lose all of your pickups. The "extra lives" can be placed in spawn points of all sphere item spawns.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Beed28 wrote:
Couldn't you implement a token system where the player starts with a few dummy items that're just called lives, take one every time they die, and then after they run out, force a map reset?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Beed28 wrote:
Couldn't you implement a token system where the player starts with a few dummy items that're just called lives, take one every time they die, and then after they run out, force a map reset?
Honestly I'd just forego the lives system entirely. I mean, think about it, do you really want to watch the same animation over and over again everytime you get hit? It'd be like BD's fatalities, except, instead of being optional, they're mandatory.

I'd say just go with a token system a la Demonsteele. Feels more arcade-y that way. Except, instead of limiting your health via difficulty, have each difficulty determine how rare health items are. Then you'd always have a base of health to work with, and let players decide how much health they want to spawn. Heck, have a difficulty called "IMMORTAL" in which you get NO healthpacks at all, save for soulspheres, armor, and megaspheres, since they're already fairly rare items. Or exclude those in another difficutly.

Just don't constantly interrupt gameplay with an mandatory animation.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Beed28 wrote:Anyway, things left to do include sounds for the player's weapons (I found the Spread and Laser sounds in the Contra III sounds file YukesVonFaust sent, but I've yet to find for the others)
finally, now you are about to put some suitable sounds in this mod! and it's done right here!

btw, i know you already got a spread and laser gun's sound. but i recorded some extra randomized sounds for every kind of weapons. for interest, of course.
Beed28 wrote:Incidentally, has anyone tested co-op yet?
talking about coop, two players mopping the horde of monsters including bosses in invasion maps would be bloody ey, yet retrospecting!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”