[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YukesVonFaust

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b05 - Limited lives now... uh... live

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Beed28 wrote:
Spoiler:
The aliens have gone medieval!
also, heretic. with a new boss.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Beed28 wrote:That reminds me, I have several finished PWAD patches for Back to Saturn X Episode II: Tower in the Fountain of Sparks, Deus Vult II, Doom 2 the Way id Did, Going Down, Impossible: A New Reality, and UAC Ultra sitting on my hard drive. I just need to test them out, as well as make sure they work on the Zandronum version.
Back to Saturn X Episode II? Deus Vult II? Going Down? i have those wads, too! also it presents a LOT of enemies to kill, also brutally hard as heck.

so, i guess they could make this mod more enjoyable yet retrospective. unless it's going to be hard. damn hard.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Question of the millennium: Will there be an alternate version with different player classes who have different weapons? Like in Hard Corps?
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

VriskaSerket wrote:Question of the millennium: Will there be an alternate version with different player classes who have different weapons? Like in Hard Corps?
I told you about this, it's best represented as Contra III, so don't tell.
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

YukesVonFaust wrote:
VriskaSerket wrote:Question of the millennium: Will there be an alternate version with different player classes who have different weapons? Like in Hard Corps?
I told you about this, it's best represented as Contra III, so don't tell.
That's why I said alternate version. Just for the giggles.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

YukesVonFaust wrote:I told you about this, it's best represented as Contra III, so don't tell.
Beed28 wrote:While Contra III is best represented here, some elements from other games are taken, such as Super Contra (Arcade), Contra: Hard Corps, and Contra 4.
Just because it's mainly Contra III doesn't mean that the multiple characters idea from Hard Corps is entirely shot down. Hell, upgrading weapons (IIRC) wasn't in any shape or form in Contra III, so I think it's best for Beed28 to answer this.

Either way, I've learned that it's best to not speak on behalf of a developer unless it's already been specifically answered.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

In the future, I might do a Hard Corps version, but if I would do it that way, it would end up being separate from Contra Doom since if I put in the four characters as four separate classes, I would probably go with its weapon system as well (in Hard Corps, you get five slots you can freely switch between; four for each of the character's four weapons, and then a fifth slot for using smart bombs), which would then leave me free to implement a sliding mechanic by using altfire.

I only really put Hard Corps down because I borrowed its three point life meter from the Japanese version, and music tracks for the optional music wad.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

Put in Konami code. Didn't work. :(
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

since our computer keyboard is ain't a NES controller, and importantly;
Beed28 wrote:I don't have any plans for the Konami code at this point... but it's referenced in one of the quit messages. ;)
:shrug:
Beed28

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b05 - First patches released

Post by Beed28 »

At long last, the first patches for certain third party map packs are released. Enjoy.

Download
r01: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ejq4od
Spoiler: Included patches
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

Oh awesome, patches are out~

Speaking of patches, I'm having trouble deciding how to go about the Strife patch; specifically the stealth kills. I've come up with some solutions, but I'm not sure which one to go with.

a.) Melee attack: Adds an extra melee option that kills stealthily. Some sort of video gamey slash attack.
b.) Contra 1 gun: Adds an extra (cannot be replaced with another weapon) that's based on the Contra 1 gun. So, machine gun that isn't auto-fire. However, unlike C1's there is a reason to use because it does stealth kills.
c.) Both A and B: Start with a melee option, but later get a Contra 1 gun. If I go this route, the Contra 1 gun may or may not be used as a weapon token.
d.) None of the above: Go guns blazing on everything. Fuck stealth, just shoot. While this is the more "Contra" route, it'll take tons of work remaking sequences under this mentality, and it might as well be an entirely new game.

Either way, it'll be a while before I can work on this again. At least at the end of this week, but likely longer than that.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Contra DooM with melee sounds more like Metal Slug DooM to me. :P The knife in that game was a little wonder weapon.
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

Big C wrote:Contra DooM with melee sounds more like Metal Slug DooM to me. :P The knife in that game was a little wonder weapon.
Metal Slug Doom?
That's... Not a bad idea... Not at all...
And it would be pretty much like this mod! Except different weapons, only 1 weapon slot, a melee button and a grenade button!
And of course, the explosions from MS. They're too iconic.
Big C

Post by Big C »

VriskaSerket wrote:
Big C wrote:Contra DooM with melee sounds more like Metal Slug DooM to me. :P The knife in that game was a little wonder weapon.
Metal Slug Doom?
That's... Not a bad idea... Not at all...
And it would be pretty much like this mod! Except different weapons, only 1 weapon slot, a melee button and a grenade button!
And of course, the explosions from MS. They're too iconic.
Not quite as purist as you're describing, but Scuba Steve beat you to the punch years ago:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... action.zip
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

There's also a Metal Slug Doom for Zandronum, but it doesn't seem to be very active, unfortunately.
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5888

Return to “Gameplay Mods”