Re: [v2.1.1] Eriguns - Now with 100% more SWORDS!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: [v1.1] Eriguns 1&2

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Vorpal Blade makes you gravitate towards your target, like the chainsaw. having it not do that would be preferrable, IMO. i'm also unsure what's the best way to kill one of the boss enemies, aside from the Soul Reaver, which tore through the Cyberdemon... but when i got the Hellsphere, it seemed as if the Soul Reaver did less damage. i dunno if i was imagining that, though. and again, the Vorpal Blade's damage output seems a bit random. having it deal more predictable damage would be preferrable, since right now you can either kill an imp in 1 hit, or 3, and that's... pretty dangerous in certain situations.

other than that, the arsenal feels pretty Doom-y balanced, and it mostly rounds up to a balanced experience.

(i haven't tested the one with the Doom-styled guns, by the way, just the second one)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Any particular reason why the Doom-styled Eriguns don't include Eriance's double-bladed chainsaw?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Shadez12 wrote:GMUHMUHFLUH 1.9pre-828
That version's too old (current devbuilds are at 2.1-pre### now) -- grab a new one and it'll work.

Regarding the chainsaw, the wad contains only Eriance's most recent bit of weapon sprites, and the last double-bladed chainsaw is a generation old and off-style. He never did make a chainsaw or fist replacement (to my knowledge), so they're untouched for now unless something stylistically appropriate can be made.

[EDIT]
zrrion the insect wrote:I found a bug: hold the altfire of the Tomed sword and when the tome runes out the altfire does not stop until you release the altfire.
Okay, this one's baffling me. I don't understand how the weapon is able to get stuck in the powered version of the altfire state, since it's never supposed to do that (and doesn't for any other weapon -- i think?) The state inheritance is a bit ugly in the powered version at the moment, though, since I elected to reuse states from the parent weapon wherever possible. The issue that's causing the either loop is buried somewhere deep or the engine's getting confused by the state mixing somehow and refusing to switch back, but either way, this is one of those insane "this should never happen so why is it happening" cases. O_O
Viscra Maelstrom

yeah, the Soul Reaver is useless when tomed up against either the Cyberdemon or the Spider Mastermind. untomed, it kills a cyber in two shots and a mastermind in one, but tomed, not even two tomed shots killed the cyber. maybe make the tomed projectiles force radius damage if that's what is spooking up?

also, the Irebolt has some really fucked up explosion radius. for example, try standing on a ledge, and shooting down at the floor that's just below the ledge. the explosion WILL hit you, regardless of altitude, it seems. on the plus side, that means you can coax out Cacodemons that are way down in a deep crevice, but on the other hand, it's what has killed me the most out of my own weaponry.
and speaking of the Irebolt, not having a SSG-equivalent weapon in your arsenal can really hurt you when playing the mod. maybe it's just me, but i find myself running really low on health on Ultra-Violence because i don't have the demonic equivalent of super buckshot to deal with the enemies, particularly Cacodemons, Pain Elementals and Hell Knights, which i haven't really found a good way to shut up at point-blank range. maybe that's just me sucking at Doom, though. :p

also, this isn't about the weapons, but maybe the fullscreen HUD should have a larger Arms panel? considering that there are weapons covering slot 1 to 9, i don't think it should be that much of a problem to make it display all your weapons. it's not a huge issue, but it's what makes me forget i have e.g. the Basilisk in my hands.

overall, i'm having an enjoyable time with the mod, but it's either me sucking at Ultra-Violence, or the balance of the mod being a bit out of wack currently, since i find myself at low health situations a lot more than i remember Doom giving to me before.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Xaser wrote:Okay, this one's baffling me. I don't understand how the weapon is able to get stuck in the powered version of the altfire state, since it's never supposed to do that (and doesn't for any other weapon -- i think?) The state inheritance is a bit ugly in the powered version at the moment, though, since I elected to reuse states from the parent weapon wherever possible. The issue that's causing the either loop is buried somewhere deep or the engine's getting confused by the state mixing somehow and refusing to switch back, but either way, this is one of those insane "this should never happen so why is it happening" cases. O_O
The presence of the WRF_NOSWITCH flag in the A_WeaponReady call at the end of the AltFire state is the cause of the problem; it's, unsurprisingly, preventing a weapon switch.
mark009

Post by mark009 »

Help please Script error, "eriguns2.pk3:actors/weapons/blade.txt" line 134:
Expected ')', got ','.
Viscra Maelstrom

update your G/ZDoom to the latest development build.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Blue Shadow wrote:The presence of the WRF_NOSWITCH flag in the A_WeaponReady call at the end of the AltFire state is the cause of the problem; it's, unsurprisingly, preventing a weapon switch.
Ah! That did it -- thanks there.

Some musings on this: I'm not sure whether this is a bug or inevitable behavior, but something about this doesn't really strike me as "correct" on the engine's side. What seems to be happening is that the A_WeaponReady call with WRF_NOSWITCH is eating the attempt to switch away, so when a state that allows switching is hit, the engine doesn't try and force a switch again since it thinks it's already done so. Might be reportable, though I've fixed it mod-side for now.

tl;dr: I just removed the WRF_NOSWITCH flags since it's harmless being able to switch-cancel out of an attack at that point, and the problem is fixed. If anyone knows of a better way to reset Offset back to 0,0 without A_WeaponReady, though, I'm all ears, since that's the purpose of that particular call and I'd love to be able to do it in a cleaner way.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:yeah, the Soul Reaver is useless when tomed up against either the Cyberdemon or the Spider Mastermind. untomed, it kills a cyber in two shots and a mastermind in one, but tomed, not even two tomed shots killed the cyber. maybe make the tomed projectiles force radius damage if that's what is spooking up?
I was afraid the tomed attack would be underwhelming, since I opted to remove the ripping behavior for the soul projectiles for whatever reason. I put it back in, and the weapon's hella deadlier now. Probably a bit """too much""" so, but it's a gorram Tomed ultimate weapon, so it's totally excusable to make it ridiculous. :P
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, the Irebolt has some really fucked up explosion radius. for example, try standing on a ledge, and shooting down at the floor that's just below the ledge. the explosion WILL hit you, regardless of altitude, it seems. on the plus side, that means you can coax out Cacodemons that are way down in a deep crevice, but on the other hand, it's what has killed me the most out of my own weaponry.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I was going to make a post stating how bizarre this is and that I have no clue how to fix it (once again; I think this mod is cursed xD), but I twiddled some flags around in the off chance and found that the erroneous behavior is caused by the gorram CAUSEPAIN flag of all things. My brain is dead. D:

Fixed it for now by removing the flag. I'll put it back in once the bug's corrected, though, since I really do want the bolts to stagger enemies.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:and speaking of the Irebolt, not having a SSG-equivalent weapon in your arsenal can really hurt you when playing the mod. maybe it's just me, but i find myself running really low on health on Ultra-Violence because i don't have the demonic equivalent of super buckshot to deal with the enemies, particularly Cacodemons, Pain Elementals and Hell Knights, which i haven't really found a good way to shut up at point-blank range. maybe that's just me sucking at Doom, though. :p
I'll probably bump the damage of the Bloodbane a bit to help alleviate this -- the Irebolt is kinda weird since it takes the SSG spawn slot but doesn't act like one, but I can't really swap that around without totally fucking up ammo placement.

What about the Mauler, though? It's meant to be the SSG power-equivalent -- is ammo an issue for it?
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, this isn't about the weapons, but maybe the fullscreen HUD should have a larger Arms panel? considering that there are weapons covering slot 1 to 9, i don't think it should be that much of a problem to make it display all your weapons. it's not a huge issue, but it's what makes me forget i have e.g. the Basilisk in my hands.
Oop, good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that... heh. :P
mark009 wrote:Help please Script error, "eriguns2.pk3:actors/weapons/blade.txt" line 134:
Expected ')', got ','.
oh my gucking fod if i get another one of these i'm gonna choke a baby

Anyhow, I'll post up a v1.1a here in a bit that fixes the irebolt/blade bugs and does some damagetype fiddling to make the weapons work a bit better. Among other things, wide enemies take less damage from rippers and radius damage is forced for all projectiles now (albeit bosses take slightly less damage; may or may not remove this, depending).

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

[EDIT] v1.1a bugfix release up. Updated the OP too.
Gideon020

Re: [v1.1a] Eriguns 1&2

Post by Gideon020 »

Does anyone have a fix for getting the proper ammo to show up when using EriGuns 2 in Heretic and Hexen? And maybe getting the difficulty and HUD to display properly as well.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Please describe the issue -- or provide screenshots. Your post (and PM) are unclear as to what's actually wrong.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Eriguns 2 is such amazing, seriously. Excellent weapon mechanic design and balance. Great work.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

NotSoHazy wrote:Eriguns 2 is such amazing, seriously. Excellent weapon mechanic design and balance. Great work.
Overall, eriguns2 is not bad, but the original is much better. It would be nice to adapt Demon Eclipse: Hell-forged Edition for the standard maps.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Xaser wrote:Please describe the issue -- or provide screenshots. Your post (and PM) are unclear as to what's actually wrong.
Okay, in order of when I encountered them when using EriGuns 2:

1. Heretic spawns the regular weapon ammunition despite spawning the mod weapons. Wand Crystals, Crossbow Arrows, etc. This is also true in Hexen where the Mana spawns, not the ammunition for the mod weapons.

2. Difficulty levels for Heretic and Hexen do not show up when starting a new game. The options are present and can be selected, along with Man And A Half, but where the text should be are blank spaces.

3. Fullscreen HUD is non-existent: The icon for the specific ammo type (blood, nails, magma, souls) appears but no ammunition number. The same is true for the health and armor indicators; the icon for Health is there, the icon for Armor appears when picked up, but there are no numbers to track either.

I'll post screenshots tomorrow.

As an aside, I feel that the Hexen Warrior's fists would be thematically appropriate as a replacement for the Doom fists in Eriguns 2, but that's just me.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Irebolt secondary fire doesn't work in some wads (found it in Valhalla and Zaero). It types error report "ACS: I DON'T KNOW WHAT *specific for wad text* IS."
https://imgur.com/a/0fsq6
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

As promised, here are the screenshots from Heretic and Hexen. Might need to right-click and view image to get full pic as I think I screwed up posting them.

Screenshot 1: Lack of fullscreen HUD in Heretic, Wand Crystals instead of appropriate replacement ammo, No Health Indicator, and no Ammo Indicator.
Spoiler:
Screenshot 2: As above, after collecting armor. No armor strength indicator.
Spoiler:
Screenshot 3: Crossbow instead of appropriate replacement weapon in spawner location.
Spoiler:
Screenshot 4: Hexen, same HUD problems but now an ACS error that does not recognize the secondary fire of the Irebolt. Did not check in Heretic but ACS error assumed to also be present there for the Irebolt.
Spoiler:
ACS problem with Irebolt was also encountered in DoomONE, but at this point it's basically Russian Roulette on which wads the Irebolt detonator will work in, but safe bet is newer megawads and maps.

Another weird thing is that the Hell On Earth Starter Pack really does not like Eriguns 2, despite it accepting everything from Guncaster to Kriegsland.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”