Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.2 Finished!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Not required but let me know what you guys think of this mod.

Good
47%
Meh
29%
Bad
24%

Total votes: 17

TXTX

Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.2 Finished!

Post by TXTX »

REAL SHOTGUNS

Based on the idea of Hideous Destructor and other difficult mods...

v1.2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv2wlysz2m400 ... 2.pk3?dl=0

Have you ever wondered what enemies would be like if they were smarter? How would it feel to be the doom marine going through a very realistic scenario instead of the bullet shield enemies in doom?

What this mod seeks to accomplish is just that. Jam packed with AI, more variety, more items, add a Doom 3 feel, and make it tough. Adds more atmosphere to make it more engaging. To answer those questions and to show you how good doom guy must have been.

Aim?:

Makes monsters smarter than they used to be. What does that mean? No longer shooting through each other, no more infighting, no more shooting at props they can't attack through. Jumping off ledges to melee you. Providing shot spray to trick you into coming back out of cover. They CAN hear their allies die, get shot. They hear your shots along with your enemies. And more...

Enemies have the SAME DAMAGE you do! Yes that is very bad. But are you as tough as doom guy? He took them on anyway. They aren't overpowered either, you just can't let them sneak up on you/ know how to dodge/ don't get outnumbered/ holy crap.

Waiting for good news? You get 3 marines each map for you to call if you find yourself in a bad position. Yes it's that hard.

Even death match has a new tool. Random items are given to players when they respawn to spice it up a bit. Have fun.

The Name?:

Well it all started out as a mod to make the super shotgun shoot the right amount of bullets... I have no idea how this happened. Honestly. :D

All I can say is that actions speak louder than words. Give it a shot. And use cover. 8-)

Will Add screenshots later when I can get some good pics to show for you guys/ learn how to add screenshots.

Also its still somewhat in beta so credits aren't done and some things may change.

Screenshots: They don't really do the mod justice since it can't show AI, but here they are.
Spoiler:
V1.1:

Player's armor increased just a bit.

Major AI Update:
Most enemies and allies can now jump.
All monsters now spray their attacks and don't follow you when out of sight. (spraying the place you just passed.)
Spectres can now be hit with bullets and melee, but pass through all actors including projectiles.
All gun enemies can now try to fake you out by halting their fire and then firing randomly again.

V1.2

A LOT smaller without all the beta stuff.
Credits finished, but might've forgot some authors.

Enemies attack slightly less.
Melee enemies are harder to back away from mid-swing.
Added varying difficulty levels to make it more bearable/harder than normal.
Players start with a rifle now.

Enemy attacking chances change defending on difficulty.

Credits

PK_Weaports.zip (Weapon Sprites)
Alpha Doom (Hud)
ID Software (Of Course)
Laz Rojas (Hud Numbers)
Stronghold Team (Skyboxes)
Realm 667 (Enemy Sprites)
WildWeasel (Bullet Effects, Grenade Sprites)
Vaecrius (Marine Sprites, Inspiration)
Countless Doom Authors (Sounds)
TXTX (Blatant Rips and Coding)
Z86 (Brightmaps)

If you see your resources used or don't like it being shown in this project just let me know.
Last edited by TXTX on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Real Shotguns (Very Inaccurate Name)

Post by phantombeta »

>90.12 MB
Why?
lolwut?

Post by lolwut? »

There is a 39.93mb music file in there. You should probably delete it.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I also recommend TAKING THAT WAD THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.
No. Fucking seriously. It has to load the ENTIRE WAD to be able to use it. 94.75 MB of RAM wasted for a single fucking file.
[edit]Convert all those audio files to OGG. Remove all those duplicate audio files/audio files with the same exact name.[/edit]
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

phantombeta wrote:I also recommend TAKING THAT WAD THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.
No. Fucking seriously. It has to load the ENTIRE WAD to be able to use it. 94.75 MB of RAM wasted for a single fucking file.
[edit]Convert all those audio files to OGG. Remove all those duplicate audio files/audio files with the same exact name.[/edit]
Like, I agree that it should at least be compressed and cleaned up... but wow, tone it down a bit :V

Also that's not a lot of RAM, just sayin'.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Could've been less harsh at least. Did I make a mistake? Yeah, no need to say it that way.

Anyway it's a wad that i haven't touched in a bit so I'm not surprised something was fishy with it. Reupload incoming.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

phantombeta wrote:I also recommend TAKING THAT WAD THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.
That 94.75MB WAD is the whole mod. The only other thing in the PK3 is the Brightmaps that come with GZDoom.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Based on Hideous Destructor? This sounds right up my alley. Will be checking out.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Reuploaded with the fixed file.

@phantombeta Thanks for showcasing what the community can be like for my favorite game...

Reconsidering future releases now.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

TXTX wrote:Reuploaded with the fixed file.

@phantombeta Thanks for showcasing what the community can be like for my favorite game...

Oh please.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

torridGristle wrote:
TXTX wrote:Reuploaded with the fixed file.

Oh please.
This. Yeah, the person was quite abrasive, but don't be a wuss.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

torridGristle wrote:Oh please.
In the future, could you please refrain from this sort of sarcasm? You're not really helping, here.

I've issued a warning to phantombeta; I'd really prefer that criticism be polite.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Don't get discouraged, some people are just nasty and should be ignored. Your idea is good, hopefully you'll be able to make it into a Hideous Destructor style mod eventually.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

11/10 Shotguns too real
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Well don't get me wrong guys, I've been modding doom for more than 10 years. Always kept my mods to myself until now. Planning to release one or two and see how they do. So this does effect if and when I will release more, I brushed that off but I still have to consider the bad sides.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”