Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.2 Finished!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Not required but let me know what you guys think of this mod.

Good
47%
Meh
29%
Bad
24%

Total votes: 17

phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Real Shotguns (Very Inaccurate Name)

Post by phantombeta »

Ow. I don't remember being this harsh. Sorry.

I'll try not to post when I'm tired as fuck so this doesn't happen again.
[edit]Also, I played a little through this.
I got to the start of map 2. The weapons feel a bit weak...
And now a non-raging version of my previous post:
Please remove those files from the WAD and put them in the PK3 itself
No. Seriously. It has to load the entire WAD to RAM to be able to use it. 94.75 MB of RAM wasted for nothing.
Also, convert all those audio files to OGG and remove all those duplicate audio files/audio files with the same exact name.
[/edit]
papey

Post by papey »

Only one thing annoys me at this mod
Why are the spectres invincible?
Kind of hard to get in that room with the two spectres on map 3
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Triple S wrote:
phantombeta wrote:I also recommend TAKING THAT WAD THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.
No. Fucking seriously. It has to load the ENTIRE WAD to be able to use it. 94.75 MB of RAM wasted for a single fucking file.
[edit]Convert all those audio files to OGG. Remove all those duplicate audio files/audio files with the same exact name.[/edit]
Like, I agree that it should at least be compressed and cleaned up... but wow, tone it down a bit :V

Also that's not a lot of RAM, just sayin'.
It always seems like a considerable percentage of the Doom community is only here because they're stuck with PCs that would have been considered obsolete in the late 90's...
BFG

Post by BFG »

can you really code all those A.I improvements? I really want to see this, I didn't even know there was away to stop the monsters from shooting through each other, that's kinda like the Fanatics in the game Blood do, they stop firing their tommy guns if one of their buddies walks in front of them. Their mindless behavior actually makes sense since none of the doom monsters are supposed to be smart, they are just demon killing-machine and brain-dead zombies essentially.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

@papey Yeah, spectres are evil since they are more spirits than anything. So only really plasma, explosives, and melee will hurt them as bullets and more physical things won't work. I probably should make them passable so you arent surrounded.

@BFG Monsters also won't mindlessly shoot barrels in their faces or props that can't be attacked through. The idea behind smarter zombies was that they are possessed by spirits in the doom story. I made them and other monsters act as if hell wasn't a mindless entity, but a force of evil bent on destruction.

Next update will have jumping enemies (not randomly jumping. More like they have a brain), and enemies not knowing your position while spraying. (shooting down the hall you just passed.)
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Upload completed. First post updated soon.
papey

Post by papey »

TXTX wrote:@papey Yeah, spectres are evil since they are more spirits than anything. So only really plasma, explosives, and melee will hurt them as bullets and more physical things won't work. I probably should make them passable so you arent surrounded.
Melee didn't seem to work either, making them passable sounds like a good idea though
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

@papey That was a bug, but the new version completely changed how they are attacked. Its much easier now.
BFG

Re: Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.1

Post by BFG »

I don't have access to Doom atm, and the screenshots are gone, can someone please make a YT video of this? i'm really curious, and by the description i'm blown away that there isn't much replies, this sounds great. new A.I code for the monsters is one of the best things that's happened.
TXTX

Re: Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.1

Post by TXTX »

If anyone wants to make a youtube video showcasing the mod it's fine. I don't have a youtube account or recording software so...
TXTX

Re: Real Shotguns (The AI Mod) v1.2 Finished!

Post by TXTX »

Final version 1.2 posted. See first post for changes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”