HXRTC Project Golden Edition Plus R15 (1 Apr 2024)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leodoom85

Re: HXRTC Project v5.3 (Updated 7 jun 2017)

Post by leodoom85 »

I like the idea of implementing a mysterious lucky box just to add more fun...
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: HXRTC Project v5.3 (Updated 7 jun 2017)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

CasualChris wrote:Maybe we could also have Pain Elementals in place of Cacodemons and Hell Knights in place of Barons in Ult/Doom games?
Perhaps also... yes! 8-)

By the way, I bring good news to everyone, an update for v5.3 is coming very soon, so please stay tuned! :wink:
Hexereticdoom

Re: HXRTC Project v5.3u1 (Updated 12 jun 2017)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

As I promised to you yesterday, here it comes a small update release for the H-Project, but before continuing further I'd like to give a big 'thank you' for all your cool suggestions and for helping this way to keep improving the mod. Thumbs up for everyone! :thumb:

Now, let's get to the detailed changelog:
  • - From now, almost all the enemies included in the mod (excluding big bosses and other minor foes) will have a little chance to release a small Mistery Chest which can contain multiple surprises, good ones and bad ones depending of your luck. A single Mistery Chest can release a goodie or a powerup item among others at a time, but it can also hide inside it unpleasant things like a Lost Soul, a Mini Gremlin or even a big explosive bomb, so better watch out and stay prepared when you open those chests!
    - New item available: the Super Backpack. Pretty similar to the classic Backpack, but it has the advantage to be completely filled up with even more ammo, being equivalent to triple capacity than the standard ones (although it won't increase your predefined maximum ammo capacity). Super Backpacks can be located anywhere, but might be quite rare to find; it is also said some strong fat zombies can be equipped with it.
    - Improved some enemy random spawners for compatibility with Doom I/Ultimate Doom/FreeDoom Phase 1: now if you play with one of these IWADs, you can also face against Chaingunners and their derivatives like in Doom II. Same goes for Barons of Hell (Hell Knights and similar classes can be spawned randomly in their place) and for Cacodemons (some Pain Elementals and close relatives could take their place at some map spots).
    - The fast Trainee Girl zombie has now a minor chance to avoid some of your weapon attacks.
    - Some other minor bugfixes and corrections.
It's almost all for now, I wish you keep enjoying with the mod! :winker:

Cheerio Doomguys, and have a nice Doomsday! 8-)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I finally got around to trying this and here are some things I want to address:

1. The HUD cannot be scaled using the menu settings, this needs to be fixed because I can barely see anything it displays and it's problematic.
2. There are a lot of really OP enemies that come up at random, and it makes the game unplayable a lot of times.

Suggestions:

1. Change the difficulty settings so that all enemies on the map are present on all difficulties.

2. Recommend a global nerf of enemy damage by at least 25%.
Last edited by Valherran on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CasualChris

Post by CasualChris »

Valherran wrote:I finally got around to trying this and here are some things I want to address:

1. The HUD cannot be scaled using the menu settings, this needs to be fixed because I can barely see anything it displays and it's problematic.

2. There are a lot of really OP enemies that come up at random, and it makes the game unplayable a lot of times.

Suggestions:

1. Change the difficulty settings so that all enemies on the map are present on all difficulties.

1. If you're using GZDoom 3.0.0 or later, what do your scaling options look like?

2. That's understandable, but to be fair, Hexeretic intended for this to be harder than regular Doom.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

UI Scale = 1

Messages = 1
Console = Default
Status Bar = 1
Fullscreen = 1
Alternative HUD = 4

HUD Preserves Aspect Ratio = OFF

The only thing that changes when I mess with any setting is the setting right above, but it only makes very slightly bigger because it does a vertical stretch. Everything else doesn't do anything.
cotton_disciple

Post by cotton_disciple »

Valherran wrote:UI Scale = 1

Messages = 1
Console = Default
Status Bar = 1
Fullscreen = 1
Alternative HUD = 4

HUD Preserves Aspect Ratio = OFF

The only thing that changes when I mess with any setting is the setting right above, but it only makes very slightly bigger because it does a vertical stretch. Everything else doesn't do anything.
Try to change fullscreen from 1 to -1
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Nothing worked, so I updated to the latest build available and it now it works. We can scratch that off the list.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Valherran wrote:1. The HUD cannot be scaled using the menu settings, this needs to be fixed because I can barely see anything it displays and it's problematic.
Well, it's true that in the mod there are quite hard enemies wandering around, so one of the most important things is to know their strengths and their weak points, and using the more effective weapons if possible. Harder enemies are the least common and normally shouldn't be present on early levels, although that could depend of the played megawads.
Valherran wrote: Suggestions:

R1. By default, all the enemies available in the mod can be already located anywhere in the map, it doesn't depend of the chosen level skill. However, the random spawners are the responsible of placing the enemies depending of their 'weight', so it's mainly a matter of luck (and engine's decision) if you encounter easier or harder foes in your way.

R2. I'm afraid that would make the game quite easier, but also less challenging, which would make most of the powerups, health and/or armor items a bit pointless. Anyway, if you find the game is too difficult, try to choose a lower skill level. Since this is not Vanilla Doom, there can be plenty differences from one difficulty level or another. Don't be ashamed for choosing a lower skill. Playing always in UV mode might be fun sometimes, but it can also convert player's experience in a big frustration. So just take your time and learn about your enemies. Practice is good for everyone, and it's also valid for every game played. :wink:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Well, it's true that in the mod there are quite hard enemies wandering around, so one of the most important things is to know their strengths and their weak points, and using the more effective weapons if possible. Harder enemies are the least common and normally shouldn't be present on early levels, although that could depend of the played megawads
So in other words you balanced this solely on the default maps?
R1. By default, all the enemies available in the mod can be already located anywhere in the map, it doesn't depend of the chosen level skill. However, the random spawners are the responsible of placing the enemies depending of their 'weight', so it's mainly a matter of luck (and engine's decision) if you encounter easier or harder foes in your way.
I am talking about your MOD following the enemy spawn values of the default game difficulty, not the spawn chance of new enemies. If I set it to easiest setting, the fewest amount of enemies that can be found on the map are present, not the maximum.
R2. I'm afraid that would make the game quite easier, but also less challenging, which would make most of the powerups, health and/or armor items a bit pointless. Anyway, if you find the game is too difficult, try to choose a lower skill level. Since this is not Vanilla Doom, there can be plenty differences from one difficulty level or another. Don't be ashamed for choosing a lower skill. Playing always in UV mode might be fun sometimes, but it can also convert player's experience in a big frustration. So just take your time and learn about your enemies. Practice is good for everyone, and it's also valid for every game played.
The real problem that I have discovered is that starting out fresh and surviving is purely luck based, and that's a major problem. However, even when you gain some levels and get equipment etc, there are a bunch of instances where you can start a level and get killed right away because of some of the enemies you have put in as a random replacement. One of which is this goddamn zombie with a rocket launcher. I have lost count on how many times I have started a map and there was a rocket in my face that either kills me or makes me dead if something else hits me after. If you had some progressional type settings put into the game, problem solved to an extent. But number crunching I think is still in order here.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Well, it's true that in the mod there are quite hard enemies wandering around, so one of the most important things is to know their strengths and their weak points, and using the more effective weapons if possible. Harder enemies are the least common and normally shouldn't be present on early levels, although that could depend of the played megawads
So in other words you balanced this solely on the default maps?

It is balanced for mostly standard maps, not only the default ones (suppose you're referring to Doom I, II, Plutonia and TNT) or at least that is what I've attempted from initial releases. However, there always can be some very hard, even hardcore or slaughter maps or levels that can make you get in trouble from start; still they can be even harder in Vanilla Doom, due to the native capped health and armor to 100/200 points, plus the existence of hitscan enemies. On H-Project the HP and AP you can reach very high values (up to 9999), and there are not hitscan foes at all, so you always have a minimum chance to survive an impact if you're fast enough.
I am talking about your MOD following the enemy spawn values of the default game difficulty, not the spawn chance of new enemies. If I set it to easiest setting, the fewest amount of enemies that can be found on the map are present, not the maximum.

OK, but I think I still don't understand it... If you choose an easy skill level, it's logical there are fewer enemies spawned on the map than with the more difficult settings. What's the point if you define the easier skill levels like in UV-like modes? I think it would make no sense, because the easy difficult setting would be almost as hard as the higher ones, with the same quantity of foes located in the map.
R2. I'm afraid that would make the game quite easier, but also less challenging, which would make most of the powerups, health and/or armor items a bit pointless. Anyway, if you find the game is too difficult, try to choose a lower skill level. Since this is not Vanilla Doom, there can be plenty differences from one difficulty level or another. Don't be ashamed for choosing a lower skill. Playing always in UV mode might be fun sometimes, but it can also convert player's experience in a big frustration. So just take your time and learn about your enemies. Practice is good for everyone, and it's also valid for every game played.
The real problem that I have discovered is that starting out fresh and surviving is purely luck based, and that's a major problem. However, even when you gain some levels and get equipment etc, there are a bunch of instances where you can start a level and get killed right away because of some of the enemies you have put in as a random replacement. One of which is this goddamn zombie with a rocket launcher. I have lost count on how many times I have started a map and there was a rocket in my face that either kills me or makes me dead if something else hits me after. If you had some progressional type settings put into the game, problem solved to an extent. But number crunching I think is still in order here.

In that case, and depending on the in-game situation, it could be a better idea taking cover in a safe corner then shooting and beating your enemies without haste, or just run away from there dodging the projectiles and search a more secure place. Normally, a correctly designed map should give the player enough time to react, although there can be some exceptions. Yeah, the rocket launcher zombie can be problematic on some situations, but actually the rockets he launches are NOT as powerful than the Cyberdemon ones, or even the ones you shoot with the Saturn-V, so if you take enough caution his attack is mostly preventable.

Also, I don't know at the moment if there exist an option in GZDoom code lumps to define a 'progressive' enemy mode, I'll have to check it deeply and see if there is an alternative to spawn certain enemy types at some concrete points of later maps...
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

What's the point if you define the easier skill levels like in UV-like modes? I think it would make no sense, because the easy difficult setting would be almost as hard as the higher ones, with the same quantity of foes located in the map.
Same number of enemies, less damage taken. Fighting less enemies is not as fun.
Also, I don't know at the moment if there exist an option in GZDoom code lumps to define a 'progressive' enemy mode, I'll have to check it deeply and see if there is an alternative to spawn certain enemy types at some concrete points of later maps...
Check out Project Brutality, they have it fully implemented in there.
CasualChris

Post by CasualChris »

Valherran, if your main problem is enemies doing too much damage, Custom Doom can fix that right up. It has options to globally modify the damage you take. It's also compatible with mods like this one.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51446
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

CasualChris wrote:Valherran, if your main problem is enemies doing too much damage, Custom Doom can fix that right up. It has options to globally modify the damage you take. It's also compatible with mods like this one.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51446
I don't need that, I just need to stop getting explosives in my face the second I load into the next map.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Spawn invincibility would be interesting (or maybe would better fit as an option for Custom Doom). Or maybe you could make it like Vaecrius's Never Breaking Orbit mod and make it so that the game doesnt begin until the player moves when a map starts so you could look around and be prepared before you get shot in the face by 10 zombiemen at map start.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”