PLAYTHROUGH (Video by Rallinth, playing and commenting about HXRTC Project v4.7 SE):
SCREENSHOTS (MOST OF THEM OUTDATED):
HXRTC Project v5.0u4 compressed zip file includes the following:
- - HXRTC Project v5.0u4 main file (contains all and each one of the basic things to play, including a special version of the HXRTC HUD);
- JPHUD HealthBar v3 (optional, but useful addon that allows to see the HP enemies you aim with your weapon).
- JP Special Powers 3-in-1 v1 (*) (optional addon for giving the player some special abilities like using a Grappling Hook for climbing unreachable heights or overcoming deep chasms, or being able to use a Double Jump and/or a Hovering effect for floating briefly in the air).
- HXRTC No Smoke SFX v1 (a small optional addon for disabling several smoke cloud effects in the mod; if your computer is a bit old and/or slow, you may try this one for increasing the global performance of the game).
(*): Created from original addons by JPalomo (see this forum thread for more info).
The HXRTC Project is an addon for exclusive use with Doom & Doom 2 games, that means it won't work correctly with Heretic, Hexen or Strife games. However, it's fully compatible with many classic custom Doom megawads that don't alter the gameplay, monsters and/or weapons in a critic way. (For example, megawads using special definitions through DEHACKED lumps, unless a patch for them is created). You'll be able to play with HXRTC Project addon with megawads like Alien Vendetta, Community Chest series, Hell Revealed, Icarus, Memento Mori, Scythe, etc. Also you can use it with some auto-generated wads or megawads by Oblige or Obhack tools, so the fun can be almost endless!
WHAT CAN BE EXACTLY FOUND HERE?
Well, as presumably and like many other existing mods, it adds plenty new things and features respect from the classic Doom. In fact, it has a huge bunch of new monsters (around 40-50 enemy types at the moment, taken from several sources and customized specially for the mod), a large weapons arsenal (more than 30, including dual-wield modes) with also plenty of new items and new ammo types, and some exclusive abilities (in this mod the player has a bit more walk/run speed, can jump higher, has more health and armor capacity, and can enter in a 'rage-stage' if receives enough damage from enemies, doubling this way his attack power). Furthermore the monsters, weapons, ammo and items are totally randomized from one game to another, making player progress easier or tougher depending on map conditions and/or his luck.
In general terms, monsters are a bit harder in this mod than in classic Doom, but also the player weapons are quite more powerful than classic ones. Player starting weapon is a special pistol named Z-Gun, which has infinite ammo, but it's globally weaker than the rest of weapons, so like in Hexen game, it's better using it at first on weak enemies and save collected ammo for harder foes in latter levels. Also, some monsters have some special resistances depending of their nature elements (fire, ice, stone, poison) so also some weapons can be less effective versus them than other ones. (More details in the mod's Help Screen!)
Killed enemies can drop (apart from weapons, ammo and/or items) coins and special treasures, which can be collected for increasing player's funds with the possibility of investing them buying some basic elements from Trade Shop Droids (special units spawned randomly in levels) like weapons, ammo & health refills, armors, special items, etc. There is also the possibility of meeting some special powerful allies to help you killing enemy hordes. Big bosses (Cybies and SM types I mean) will release a special prize for defeating them, a Mistery Box that can hide a lot of precious items or a nasty surprise, depending of your luck.
So well, all those features (and some more not detailed here) can be encountered in the mod, so if you're curious and want to discover yourself the rest of them, I recommend to download it and play it. Hope it will be a good and fun Doom experience for you!
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're experiencing some problems executing HXRTC Project addon with your current GZDoom or QZDoom version, please check for a more recent version in their webpages, development versions are often recommended:
HOT TIP: If you are a GZDoom user and you own a good/newer computer, you should load also the LIGHTS.PK3 and BRIGHTMAPS.PK3 files provided in GZDoom's main folder for a better experience in game. For example, HXRTC Project includes a lot of new dynamic light definitions, but if you don't load the basic LIGHTS.PK3 within the mod, some of them may get missing. On the other hand, if your computer is quite old and/or slow, deactivating use of dynamic lights through GZDoom's options menu could be a good idea for increasing global game performance.
If you are using the JPHUD HealthBar for first time and having strange screen issues, you should go to GZDoom's Main Menu > Options > HUD Options > JP HealthBar Option and scale the health bar resolution conveniently to your actual screen size.
This Doom project has been created mainly from arranged & fixed versions of WEAPONS OF SATURN weapon mod and DOOM MONSTER RANDOMIZER monster mod, along with lots and lots of edited extra elements (most of them from Realm667 website) and some other additional random generators/spawners coded by me, for making your oddisey through Doom a bit different from one game to another.
By the way, the HXRTC Project has been created from multiple sources just and only for fun. So don't think bad, I'm absolutely not earning any money from it in any way, not even in the hosting and downloading file action. Just please enjoy and play, OK?
ABOUT THE HUD: From version 4.0, the HXRTC HUD for HXRTC Project is now fully integrated into the mod's main file, so it's no longer necessary loading it separately on GZDoom. For showing the HUD correctly, you must set in Display Options a screensize of 11 and turn off the alternative HUD. On the other hand, if you find the size of the HUD is too small, you should open GZDoom/QZDoom console and input the following command:
Alternatively, you can also turn on the Stretch Fullscreen HUD option in the GZDoom/QZDoom HUD options menu.
CREDITS LIST (MAY BE INCOMPLETE):
EXTRA: Here it is the Optional Addons Pack, a small collection of addons created by several ZDoom forum users. They're distributed as-is, without any modification and they are fully compatible with HXRTC Project (and maybe with many Doom mods out there).
The Optional Addons Pack include the following files:
- - CROSSHAIRS (Original author: Mauricio Rocks) Contains an awesome crosshairs collection. Which one is your favourite?
- DARK DOOM LITE (V1 & V2) (Original author: SidDoyle) Helps to create a more tetric and obscure atmosphere in most Doom level maps.
- DROPLETS (V13 & V14) (Original author: SidDoyle) More gore, more! Splats a lot of blood from enemies (and also from player). Compatible with custom blood colors.
- FLASHLIGHT (V1 & V2) (Original author: The Zombie Killer) A beam flashlight, very useful for illuminating dark zones. (Night Vision Goggles are soooo scarce, aren't they?)
- FOOTSTEPS (V4 & V5) (Original author: The Zombie Killer) Now you'll hear your own footstep sounds when walking or running!
- REGEN (Original author: Sr69Mm-jC) A highly customizable regeneration mode for your player's health.
- QUAKETILT (Original authors: Nash & Ral22) Quake-style view tilting. A cool effect for your movements, try it!
- REALAIM (Original author: SidDoyle) Realistic aiming inertia. (Beware, maybe it can provoke you dizziness!)
- AMBIENCE PACK & INTERTEXTEXP (Original author: Hellstorm Archon) Replaces standard Doom background music with a compilation of tetric and sinister ambience soundtracks, ala Silent Hill saga style. Includes also alternative intermission texts. A very recommended combination, specially using it with Dark Doom and Flashlight addons!
DOWNLOAD PAGE (MODDB)
ALTERNATIVE MIRROR (MEDIAFIRE)
OPTIONAL ADDONS PACK (UPDATED)
Hope you have fun with the HXRTC Project mod. Enjoy and have a nice Doomsday!