Brutally TrailBlazer - Here some updates for you!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xanirus

Re: [Early] - Brutally TrailBlazer - Prepare to chop'on roll

Post by Xanirus »

amv2k9 wrote:Check the weapon's Weapon.AmmoUse2 property.
It was set to 0, so I set it to 1, similar to Weapon.AmmoUse 1. It now takes ammo directly from the total count though, basically making it a clipless weapon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The Altfire state is probably using JumpIfInventory and TakeInventory to simulate ammo usage. You may need to move those to the other fire state while leaving the ammouse at 0.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Actually, I figured it out. I took a look at http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Weapon on the GZDoom wiki. Then I noticed under the Fire section (the original file) there was a commented line:

//PC2F A 0 A_TakeInventory("ChromeJusticeClip",3,TIF_NOTAKEINFINITE)

Yet for Altfire it wasn't commented. So I switched the fire modes again (Fire/AltFire) and I un-commented the line above. I then saw Weapon.AmmoType "ChromeJusticeClip" and noticed Weapon.AmmoType 2 was set to shells, which wasn't the clip, so I changed that to "ChromeJusticeClip." Now it's working. :lol: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Performance patches that would be greately appreciated:
For "BD" part - decreased ammount of blood, and blood and smaller gore chunks fading out of existence much faster, decreased ammount of smokes from burning stuff.
For Trailblazer part - decreased ammount of smokes, particles and dynamic lighting, bullet casing fading out much faster, and not just on line of sight break.

I'd do that myself, but: a) I'm a lazy prick and b) I'd better leave digging through code that is not my own to someone that already dug through it and actually knows how it works.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Xanirus wrote:Having tried this mod, I noticed this Brutal version engulfs enemies when shot by the Chrome shotgun's primary fire. This is awesome, but I noticed the fire actually hurts you as well, which makes it a bit odd to have this attack binded to the primary fire of the shotgun.

So, I tried changing it myself in Slade. I'm no expert, but I....almost managed to do it.
Spoiler:
All I did was change the "Fire" on line 53 to "AltFire", and the existing "AltFire" line back to "Fire." This worked, but for some strange reason the AlfFire (which is now the flaming shot) no longer consumes ammo. Anyone know how to fix this?
In the update i will give to player immunity to fire (Because his a Trailblazer!), and i don't sure that changing Fire and AltFire is necessary to do. But if you like it, i can make little wad with your piece of code, that you don't need to change code every time you will update the mod. Also, i maked the Cyberdemon and Mastemind weaker. Demon Rune now giving you effect of Blazing Sphere. It's not as badass, as giving a berserk, but can provide some overkill too. Now i'm going to fix big part of BD bugs (with Johny advices) and enlarge FPS.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

TheSkyBug wrote:In the update i will give to player immunity to fire (Because his a Trailblazer!), and i don't sure that changing Fire and AltFire is necessary to do. But if you like it, i can make little wad with your piece of code, that you don't need to change code every time you will update the mod. Also, i maked the Cyberdemon and Mastemind weaker. Demon Rune now giving you effect of Blazing Sphere. It's not as badass, as giving a berserk, but can provide some overkill too. Now i'm going to fix big part of BD bugs (with Johny advices) and enlarge FPS.
Well, after playing it all night the other night, I found out that the fire shot is actually weaker compared to the other fire mode. I thought it was the other way around, and thus the only reason I did it. I shot some Cacodemons and it takes two shots of the fire shot but usually only 1 with the other buckshot fire. In the mod's current state, I'd say it's still safer to have the fire shot as secondary fire but since we're going to be invulnerable to fire in the next update, it probably isn't necessary, but thanks anyway. It may or may not be a useful thing to add, or not. I'm not sure at this point.

I only thought this way because I've only ever heard of this mod through this thread. I found the original Trailblazer and yeah, you're a bit overpowered. I'm leaning towards this version more because the BD monsters add difficulty, what with the added damage and the new attack patterns. It makes it a lot more fair, IMO.

However, and I don't know if this is possible, since the fire shot will be considered the basic primary shot of the ChromeJustice, I recommended lowering the time an enemy is engulfed, or at least screaming. In BD it wasn't that bad since only the Flame Cannon would burn, and occasionally the Plasma Rifle, (at least in v.19, I haven't played the new one yet if it is indeed out, seems like it is considering I'm seeing new animations in this mod) but I think the screaming would get on everyone's nerves since it's going to happen that much more often, especially with a weapon where most maps has its ammo more available. I know it's a evil-smile guilty pleasure to watch a zombie burn, but to have 10 of them on screen singing a choir for 5 seconds every 10 second intervals I think would be more irritating than fun. :shock: It'll probably be less resource demanding too. (My comp can personally handle it, but I'm just saying for others.)

Since you're talking about addons though, I do have one suggestion, though it may not be everyone's cup of tea: I've noticed the FMG only spawns when a chaingun is manually placed...that's not too often from what I've seen. The Commandos only drop uzis. Since most maps are made with vanilla Doom in mind, I would think the mindset in most mappers would be to never place a chaingun since Commandos usually serve that purpose, so this means in most wads you'll never see the FMG. What I've done in Slade was make the player start with an FMG as well as the Sidekick, however to balance it out a bit I've lowered the FMG clip size to 40 and slowed down it's fire-rate by a notch, and changed the Sidekick pistol to be semi-auto (since you now already have an auto weapon) and have slightly better damage. I changed the FMG so the player doesn't start with an overly-powerful weapon (honestly I think the minigun will be the crowd control weapon, dual uzi in short bursts) and changed the Sidekick damage so it wouldn't be outclassed by the player starting with the FMG.

Also, a quick bug I found, and I have no idea how it happened. I once found a shotgun zombie that was completely invincible. No matter what I shot at it, all my bullets went through him. Anyway, looking forward to the BD fixes, especially the body parts on lifts one. It's fun "fixing" that problem with my machete, but it doesn't always work.
Last edited by Xanirus on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Kind of cool, I guess. I got bored of V20 pretty quickly, and I always play TrailBlazer with Nashgore's blood.

Some suggestions:

Brutal deaths and/or fatalities for Malcolm.
Maybe you can change the Cyber Demon's rockets to Patriarch rockets (same effects, just doesn't have gravity).
Bullet puffs from monsters changed to TrailBlazer's bullet puff.

The bullet decals look odd. What happened?
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Kind of cool, I guess. I got bored of V20 pretty quickly, and I always play TrailBlazer with Nashgore's blood.

Some suggestions:

Brutal deaths and/or fatalities for Malcolm.
Maybe you can change the Cyber Demon's rockets to Patriarch rockets (same effects, just doesn't have gravity).
Bullet puffs from monsters changed to TrailBlazer's bullet puff.

The bullet decals look odd. What happened?
Fatalities for Malcolm - i think it's not a good idea, because i want, that Traiblazer still Trailblazer. I can change explosions from Cyberdemon rockets, because if he will launch Patriarch grenades, it will looks strange. About decals and puffs: i'll think about it and fix buged decals.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

johnny wrote: 2. Gibs blocking lifts - There was a ton of shit I did for this and I can't even remember what specifically made it better. I didn't fix it 100%, but I made it happen a hell of a lot less often. You can just copy all the gore/monster definitions from my BDJ mod if you want.
Tried doing this myself last night, but to no avail. I'm probably way off because I'm more or less guessing, but what I did was copy everything you had under the MONSTERS and GORE marker, and pasted it into "CLEARBRUTAL20-febv2," removing the originals. Of course, I didn't add the files that weren't in CLEARBRUTAL20-febv2, such as BrusierDemon.dec, HellsFury.dec, etc.

Here's the error starting from the red text:
Spoiler:
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Xanirus wrote:
johnny wrote: 2. Gibs blocking lifts - There was a ton of shit I did for this and I can't even remember what specifically made it better. I didn't fix it 100%, but I made it happen a hell of a lot less often. You can just copy all the gore/monster definitions from my BDJ mod if you want.
Tried doing this myself last night, but to no avail. I'm probably way off because I'm more or less guessing, but what I did was copy everything you had under the MONSTERS and GORE marker, and pasted it into "CLEARBRUTAL20-febv2," removing the originals. Of course, I didn't add the files that weren't in CLEARBRUTAL20-febv2, such as BrusierDemon.dec, HellsFury.dec, etc.

Spoiler:
I don't want to steal code from another mods. I understand, that fixing ALL those bugs - it's near impossible, but i want to fix the biggest part i can.
About your errors: check the Death state in the VeryDeathMarine and VeryVeryDeathMarine (Captain Obvious to the rescue!). It's a corpses of players/marines.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

TheSkyBug wrote:
Xanirus wrote:

Spoiler:
I don't want to steal code from another mods. I understand, that fixing ALL those bugs - it's near impossible, but i want to fix the biggest part i can.
About your errors: check the Death state in the VeryDeathMarine and VeryVeryDeathMarine (Captain Obvious to the rescue!). It's a corpses of players/marines.
Yeah, that's beyond my knowledge unfortunately. All I really know is how to change gun properties and inventory counts, that's about it. Pretty much just the first few tutorials from Weasel's Gunlabs. I was only able to change the fire modes the other day by pure lucky guessing. I'm no programmer and I don't really have the time to just sit and learn Zdoom's stuff. If I'm told specifically what to do it usually makes more sense to me and I'll be able to make use of it in the future, but I'm not expecting anyone to do that. I'll leave it to you for the update.

I was trying to jump the gun and fix the BD lift bug myself, since Johnny said to just copy his code over. But I guess it's a little more complex than that. I don't mind chopping up bodies to temporarily fix the lift bug, but I've found that sometimes that doesn't work, as the body cannot be "chopped up" further. So if anyone else knows a workaround that isn't just using IDCLIP or summoning myself keys, (like console commands to remove the body parts on the floor,) please tell me.

If anyone is curious, I was playing map 07 on Hellgrounds, and I had to look at this video to see what I was missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_NmGmI8eI

Skip to 11:40, and you'll see the player flip a switch that will bring down walls and reveal four more switches. Those switches refused to work for me, and I could constantly hear a "moving" lift sound, so I figured it was the bug again. But the only thing that was blocking the way was a "squished" body part, or when a monster corpse gets crushed by something like a door or smashing pillar. There was nothing else for me to break down.
MichaelDoomsen

Post by MichaelDoomsen »

Wow. this is bad.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

That's the same exact bug a few versions ago that plagued BD.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MichaelDoomsen wrote:Wow. this is bad.
Do you have...any particular reason for posting this?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

wildweasel wrote:
MichaelDoomsen wrote:Wow. this is bad.
Do you have...any particular reason for posting this?
It may have been in reference to the limbs blocking lifts bit, and the fact that folks aren't sure how to fix it.

It's far too late for me to be thinking about this, but couldn't you just give the limbs a crushed state and go the sprite of the mashed monster corpse? And also turn off collisions for limbs.

Really, the best way to avoid this is to just turn off collisions for all the corpses. I think. It's been a long day. :P

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the verydeadmarine and veryverydeadmarine are referencing the normal and extreme deaths for the player. Since TB has different death states, you'd prolly need to rename those to whatever TB's are, so it knows where to look. It could also be referring to the marine corpse decorations as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”