[Release] Immoral Conduct ZDSP (Updated 3/30/15)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
O. Hakubi

[Release] Immoral Conduct ZDSP (Updated 3/30/15)

Post by O. Hakubi »

Spoiler: older but better-looking video

* What is this?
A ZDoom/GZDoom conversion (mostly) of Immoral Conduct, a weapon and general gameplay mod from 2002 for EDGE. The original creator, Cory Whittle, pretty explicitly said not to use the art assets from it, so I didn't (with the exception of about four small things). Instead, it's all code; you load it with the original EDGE version of the file and get the graphics and sounds from there.

* Isn't there already somebody doing this?
Yes. Before their thread appeared I had started doing it and stopped partway through, not thinking that I'd ever get back to it (and asking if they wanted what I had done to make their lives easier). Then a few months later I started working on it again because of something people call the Sunk Costs Fallacy. Besides, there's no fewer than three WolfenDoom projects and like a dozen Brutal Doom variants. One more of this isn't going to hurt.

* Is it accurate?
...mostly. EDGE can do things DECORATE can't (and vice versa) and I tried to smooth out the weapon animations as best I could with the Offset property. I'd say it's about 94% accurate, with the other 6% hopefully being subtle, non-obtrusive, or possibly nonexistent. Or an improvement, in the case of shotgun reloading.

On the positive side, the ICD-DDF documentation is basically still applicable, with a few differences:
Spoiler: including but not limited to
* Is it done?
Provided nobody finds any earth-shattering bugs it's as done as it's gonna be, yes.

* What about the kill count UI and helper marines?
Having a HUD that tracks when all of a particular enemy are dead is, perhaps, not as useful on an engine that normally tracks the amount of enemies on a given map, and one with so many custom enemies and where enemies can be spawned in at a moment's notice. As for helper marines... EDGE didn't have multiplayer capability at the time, and having AI of dubious worth spawn on co-op starts would cause problems with netplay.

* >Zdoom >netplay
BE THAT AS IT MAY

Instructions:
1. Download "Immoral Conduct DDF Special Edition" (oh god the link on Cory's page 404's I think this might actually be the last place you can download the original mod at the moment)
2. Download one of the following:
* (G)ZDoom patch Version 3.
* "New" Graphics Version 3, containing sprite replacements for the Uzi trooper and SSG guy.
3. Launch ZDoom or GZDoom with both wad files. Both of them. This is important.
Spoiler: Credit where credit is due.
Spoiler: Changelog
Last edited by O. Hakubi on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
lizardcommando

Re: [WIP/Release] Immoral Conduct (G)ZDoom Compatability Pat

Post by lizardcommando »

Not bad at all. I'm liking it. By the way, what map are you playing in your preview video?
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

Why hasn't there been more feedback on this yet??? I legitimately can't find anything wrong with this so far, aside from the obvious points that you mention in the original post. Any chance you're going to try and implement the enemy percentage displays that would pop up in the EDGE version?
O. Hakubi

Post by O. Hakubi »

lizardcommando wrote:Not bad at all. I'm liking it. By the way, what map are you playing in your preview video?
Flashback to Hell, MAP04.
EksFaktr wrote:Any chance you're going to try and implement the enemy percentage displays that would pop up in the EDGE version?
I am, perhaps, not so good with ACS, so it's not a high priority. To be honest what little exists in the .wad was done with references, took three tries to get right, and done long enough ago that I have completely forgotten how it works.
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Just checked this out, pretty cool stuff - you implemented the view shake when firing which was really important in giving the guns some punch in ICD, so kudos for that!
johnny

Post by johnny »

EksFaktr wrote:Why hasn't there been more feedback on this yet???
I completely agree, this isn't getting enough attention!

A proper decorate remake of the granddaddy of all weapon mods is sooo long overdue. I know I'm not the only one with a half-finished attempt at an "icd-dec" hiding in the depths of his harddrive, and I think I speak for all of us when I say THANK YOU for seeing it through to the end. Not only is this perfect, but going about it the way you did (respecting Cory's wishes and keeping it purely code) was such a classy move. Very, very good job man--I can't praise this enough. You did the community a great service.

EDIT: Also love how thoroughly commented this is. Reading through it now.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

What does this do compared to that other Immoral Conduct GzDoom version that came out a few months ago? I think it was on GitHub and had a bunch of people working on it.
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

Since it's strictly code, it doesn't try to remake any of the original resources (graphics, sounds, etc.). So it works within the parameters of the original PWAD. Also, it seems to be pretty much feature-complete. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the only things it seems to be missing are the enemy percentages and the ones that O. Hakubi already said were altered.
O. Hakubi

Post by O. Hakubi »

Minor update that brings blood and WAY more accurate bullet damage because posting in a thread without anything to show for it makes me feel bad.
-Ghost- wrote:What does this do compared to that other Immoral Conduct GzDoom version that came out a few months ago? I think it was on GitHub and had a bunch of people working on it.
After looking at what they had up on GitHub... a few more monsters, no art assets, the silenced pistol and the pistol merged into one weapon, the sentry deployer and remote merged into one weapon, disgustingly huge amounts of Offset frames to smooth out the animation, more accurate weapon damage, some changes based on weapon behavior from previous versions (e.g. the minigun's spinup) and maybe more than a few assumptions for how some effects would work in ZDoom based on what EDGE could and couldn't do (e.g. the grenade fragments exploded in midair as sort of a quasi-RIPPER property, something that wasn't added to EDGE until at least 2003, I think).

Like I said, the only reason I started working on this again is because I didn't want to leave it unfinished, and the only reason I started at all was because I looked at the ICD .txt file, realized that I was probably the only person from the credits still around, and went, "well, guess I gotta."
lizardcommando

Re: [WIP/Release] Immoral Conduct ZDSP (Updated 3/11/15)

Post by lizardcommando »

I was playing around with this a little more and I have more questions.

Will you be able to implement the ability to use medikits partially like in the original ICD-SE mod?
Will explosives (grenades and C4) be able to spawn fragments that cause damage? Whoops, just noticed that that's in this mod.
Will the barrels spawn fire when they explode?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

man I miss cw. he's vanished off the face of the earth for over a decade now but so many weapon modders need to give thanks for his influence
O. Hakubi

Post by O. Hakubi »

lizardcommando wrote:I was playing around with this a little more and I have more questions.

Will you be able to implement the ability to use medikits partially like in the original ICD-SE mod?
If you mean the large medikits (the soul sphere replacements), that's already in there: Five uses of 15% health, up to 150%. Plus a failsafe just in case you play a level that's scripted to do something when you pick up the soul sphere but have more than 150% health.
Will the barrels spawn fire when they explode?
That's the plan.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

O. Hakubi wrote:Minor update that brings blood and WAY more accurate bullet damage because posting in a thread without anything to show for it makes me feel bad.
-Ghost- wrote:What does this do compared to that other Immoral Conduct GzDoom version that came out a few months ago? I think it was on GitHub and had a bunch of people working on it.
After looking at what they had up on GitHub... a few more monsters, no art assets, the silenced pistol and the pistol merged into one weapon, the sentry deployer and remote merged into one weapon, disgustingly huge amounts of Offset frames to smooth out the animation, more accurate weapon damage, some changes based on weapon behavior from previous versions (e.g. the minigun's spinup) and maybe more than a few assumptions for how some effects would work in ZDoom based on what EDGE could and couldn't do (e.g. the grenade fragments exploded in midair as sort of a quasi-RIPPER property, something that wasn't added to EDGE until at least 2003, I think).

Like I said, the only reason I started working on this again is because I didn't want to leave it unfinished, and the only reason I started at all was because I looked at the ICD .txt file, realized that I was probably the only person from the credits still around, and went, "well, guess I gotta."
Thanks for the info. It's a cool mod so it's nice to see people working on it. The only thing I never liked about ICD is that some of the weapon sprites are a bit...unrefined, the M16 in particular.
O. Hakubi

Post by O. Hakubi »

More updates. I added all the decorative items that were missing in the last one - most notably GL-enhanced torches and whatnot - and I don't know a blessed thing about programming and software versions aside from words like "release candidate" and "feature complete" so I'm going to throw those around a little bit because I did all the things what needed to be did in this and it's mostly done save for a few tweaks here and there.

Also since I added barrels I can now respond more properly to this.
lizardcommando wrote:Will the barrels spawn fire when they explode?
WILL THEY EVER
O. Hakubi

Re: [Release] Immoral Conduct ZDSP (Updated 3/30/15)

Post by O. Hakubi »

Sorry about the double post, but just an update: After a few more minor tweaks I'm glad to say that barring any terrible bugs that might crop up, Immoral Conduct ZDSP is done. All the work that needed to be done or could be done has been done, and it should be perfectly playable. Although it was before, but now it's, y'know, more so.

On top of that! Thanks to the hard work of Tormentor667, NMN, and The Skulltag Team, there's now a version with "new" sprites for the SSG and Uzi troopers. Just in case you wanted to be able to tell the guys that occasionally dropped panic grenades apart from the cannon fodder, or the guys that could turn you inside-out at close range from the... other guys who could turn you inside-out at close range.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”