Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta #5)

Post by Alptraum »

I wish we could get a trailer or release date for v1.0
Gen5lock131

Post by Gen5lock131 »

Quick question: Do I still need to use the Project Brutality compatibility patch to play with both mods? I ask this because the links to the patches are dead and I greatly enjoy this mod.
YasuoProjectX

Post by YasuoProjectX »

EOA works fine but shooter enemies still fire bullets while hitscan enabled. Also all Zombies can drop ammo
kiri

Post by kiri »

I really like this addon, but playing with doom_incarnate is hard, cause a lot of monsters have hitscan attacks, this is really annoying.It would be soo good if all monsters will have projectiles attacks.
rockman

Post by rockman »

kiri wrote:I really like this addon, but playing with doom_incarnate is hard, cause a lot of monsters have hitscan attacks, this is really annoying.It would be soo good if all monsters will have projectiles attacks.
No way. Doom Incarnate makes it super easy. You will literally blaze through them. My only problem is drops. SO MUCH DROPS that is makes my fps down to single digits on slaughter maps. I wish there was a standalone loot magnet mod
Angel Soul
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Angel Soul »

Would be nice if these were compatible with Doom Exp, and they drop loot/collectible sphere's, depending on how difficult they are to kill.
Antihistamine

Post by Antihistamine »

Absolutely love this mod, was introduced to it a few years ago by someone from another community. Really spices up combat with pretty much any mod it works with. Fantastic work, I hope this new year is finding you well. Thank you for a wonderful enemy randomizer.
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

This is one of my first doom mods from meeting with Doom ports, and I like it! Nice to see updates here, well, it's time to meet new kind of monsters, I think...)
CascadeB

Post by CascadeB »

This is probably the best monster mod I've been able to find, and I use it for pretty much every playthrough!

The only gripe I've got is with the Black Imp. That thing is massively overdone, to the point where it feels less reasonable than a lot of the bosses in Complex Clusterfuck. It spawns constantly, has far too much health for an imp-type creature (even for a boss), and if it spawns in an area where there's no escape nor any means of getting a vantage point from which you can peek and shoot, it smashes the playthrough into a concrete wall. There's not really any good tactic for fighting it other than luck and hit and run, but in a majority of wads I've played, that's just not consistently possible, and I have to restart playthroughs or cheat to kill the damn thing so I can play the game.

I love this mod, and everything else in it feels reasonable, but this thing just sours my good time every time it spawns.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Fantastic to see this mod is still up and running on modern builds. Makes Slaughter wads insane. I was wondering if you'd be interested in me fixing some of the Grammar in the flavor text? I mean it's not too big of a deal as far as I know, but I just thought a little touch up might be something you'd like.
Go for it. could save me a little time
I wish we could get a trailer or release date for v1.0
Yeah, same
Spoiler:
Quick question: Do I still need to use the Project Brutality compatibility patch to play with both mods? I ask this because the links to the patches are dead and I greatly enjoy this mod.
I have no idea, I havent kept track of them, I might put disclaimer in the first post until someone posts working versions.
The only gripe I've got is with the Black Imp. That thing is massively overdone, to the point where it feels less reasonable than a lot of the bosses in Complex Clusterfuck. It spawns constantly, has far too much health for an imp-type creature (even for a boss), and if it spawns in an area where there's no escape nor any means of getting a vantage point from which you can peek and shoot, it smashes the playthrough into a concrete wall. There's not really any good tactic for fighting it other than luck and hit and run, but in a majority of wads I've played, that's just not consistently possible, and I have to restart playthroughs or cheat to kill the damn thing so I can play the game.
Huh, some people tell me the normal versions just a push over, if you've met the black imp EX version he is pretty nasty since it has the homing bouncing balls that I have been considering to nerf.

I'm also very glad to know people still enjoy this mod as much as they do.

And now for the final brown beta;

Download

All the brown tier enemies in this build are now up and ready for testing.
This is the final public beta before I release the next version, which will take a bit.
This beta build also includes some reworked bosses; Mostly black lost soul and white arachnotron + lot of tweaks and balance fixes

Full changelog here;
Spoiler:
CascadeB

Post by CascadeB »

Hege Cactus wrote:
Huh, some people tell me the normal versions just a push over, if you've met the black imp EX version he is pretty nasty since it has the homing bouncing balls that I have been considering to nerf.
To be honest, I don't think I ever really get spawns for the regular version. Seems like the spawn rate is overwhelmingly in favor of the EX Imp. Playing more and paying more attention, I think it's just the sheer tankiness of the BlackImpEX. Even the Gray Cyber doesn't have as much HP as that thing does, and it's tedious trying to kill something that has Cyber health stats and an attack that you can't realistically hide nor run from.

Complaining aside, however, I'm thrilled that there's another tier added, now! Threw me for a loop figuring out the new stuff. :)

Is the White Mastermind a no-go creation, or perhaps I've missed remarks on it, previously?
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

CascadeB wrote:
Hege Cactus wrote:
To be honest, I don't think I ever really get spawns for the regular version. Seems like the spawn rate is overwhelmingly in favor of the EX Imp. Playing more and paying more attention, I think it's just the sheer tankiness of the BlackImpEX. Even the Gray Cyber doesn't have as much HP as that thing does, and it's tedious trying to kill something that has Cyber health stats and an attack that you can't realistically hide nor run from.

Complaining aside, however, I'm thrilled that there's another tier added, now! Threw me for a loop figuring out the new stuff. :)

Is the White Mastermind a no-go creation, or perhaps I've missed remarks on it, previously?
You might want to check the option for EX bosses, the classic has it spawn 1/20 times if I recall correctly

White spidie is one of the final ones I am working on, it has lot of base stuff ready but its gonna be the grande finale for the final release version
CascadeB

Post by CascadeB »

Hege Cactus wrote:You might want to check the option for EX bosses, the classic has it spawn 1/20 times if I recall correctly

White spidie is one of the final ones I am working on, it has lot of base stuff ready but its gonna be the grande finale for the final release version
I appreciate the feedback regarding the Imps, and it appears I'll just have to deal with my unfortunate luck. :)

Loving the new additions (especially the new Cybie!) and the various tweaks. I am anxiously awaiting the final version. Thank you for the awesome content!
Apteral10

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta Final)

Post by Apteral10 »

I came across your rework of the Black Hell Knight and I need to say that while it is awesome... It is a bit problematic too and the issue is that constant teleportation around the map (About 5 seconds between each other? Not entirely sure) but this is kind of problematic what comes on this monster because it is an invulnerability and relocation. It is bit too much of an advantage (depending environment of course) and considering how much damage the monster is able to lay out in blink of an eye. I think it needs some reconsideration but I am not entirely sure what should be touched about it and I think it is worth asking from other people who use this mod too that whether it needs a bit rebalancing.

Also MAN red Cyberdemon is really evil. I am playing through Sunlust with La Tailor Girl and Colourful Hell. The cucker spawned in to end of the map Dangeresque. And man it took so long to take it down that I felt like it was regenerating health... I was able to beat him and it was somewhat worth it. Thank god that sucker is very rare. (And no I am not asking tweaking for it just the black Hell Knight I am suggesting a revisit because the constant teleporting is problematic because of the damage immunity)
Hell-met

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta Final)

Post by Hell-met »

Just wanted to pass by to say this is my favorite mod and I hope development hasn't ended. Absolute blast on UV -fast.

A little feedback to the dev if they're still around

- Formers should get better color sprites. Especially green, blue, purple - they're all incredibly ugly. Their skin tone shouldn't be colored, only their armor parts should.

- Brown zombieman sprite looks ridiculous. It looks like a midget straight out of wolfenstein 3d, and it doesn't even look possessed. You're better off using one of the numerous undead marines out there.

- Could it be possible to make it so you can never roll the same black or white monster more than once per session? It gets tiresome to always roll the Butcher and never get to see anything else.

- Red Shotgun Guy shouldn't have a long range projectile. His fearsome close quarter power is completely justified for him to suck at long range. Also please make him drop the SSG on death.

- Some sprites are obscenely out of place and ugly. I feel brown caco would be alot more enjoyable if they were just a normal caco with a different palette, for instance.

- Brown Imp's skull shield ability causes instant player death if the imp is on a different ground height with the player and fall damage is enabled. I trust this is unintended. It's also difficult to read what that shield ability is even supposed to do.

- Green Demon should always blow up on death except from melee damage.

- Tiers for barrels with various degrees of explosive power would be fun. Perhaps even tiers for the icon of sin?

- Please consider having health bars for black/white monsters. It's extremely tedious trying to guess wheter you are hurting it properly or not, and wheter you even have enough ammo to take it on in the first place.

- Bosses with auto-hit abilities like the red mastermind are anything but fun. Please avoid such attacks where the player feels like they literally can't do anything about getting hurt.

- This isn't really a problem but the sheer ugliness of fireblu, cyan, etc. sprites is the only thing keeping me from enabling these tiers. The worms and insects and all that stuff is just completely off putting and doesn't feel one bit part of doom.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”