Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

4thcharacter

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.87 taken under

Post by 4thcharacter »

Rowsol wrote:Edit2: I found an issue with using LegenDoom with this. If a yellow revenant spawns and it's a legend you get a free soulsphere. The red HK has a simpler way of spawning buddies that should probably be copied to the Yellow revenant.

On Legendoom, enemies that are legendary give free soul spheres whenever they get beaten. If it's a boss then it'll give you a megasphere.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I know how it works. I'm saying you get a free sphere when he spawns because of the fact it spawns a dummy actor, dies, then spawns the real revenant.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I think the solution to it is to make it work like the purple cyberdemon or red hell knight when it spawns. When it spawns from the start it's treated as a monster and actors that are treated as that can have the chance of going legendary.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I made a little recoloured congo line of cacodemons for you to use in your thread title post as a little thank you for making this great mod.
I often play lethaldoom with this mod, so thanks for this again :)
Attachments
colorfulhell.png
colorfulhell.png (43.78 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

Crudux Cruo wrote:I made a little recoloured congo line of cacodemons for you to use in your thread title post as a little thank you for making this great mod.
wow they looks great
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

meh, just 20 minutes in gimp and some beer. would be cool to see rainbow colored cacodemon reskins though, the more i look at it. could you imagine 200 different cacodemons floating toward you looking like that? man that would be cool.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

slade master race
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Crudux Cruo wrote:could you imagine 200 different cacodemons floating toward you looking like that? man that would be cool.
That's the first thing that came onto my mind after seeing what you posted. Each of them being pleasant to look at, whilst having different abilities and attacks? Count me in! It's okay if only cacos get to be colored this way and get implemented.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Crudux Cruo wrote:I made a little recoloured congo line of cacodemons for you to use in your thread title post as a little thank you for making this great mod.
Oh look, a rainbow of floating as******! Do not they look fabulous? :3:
"Line up for the familiy photo, Cacos! Cheese...!"
"HISSSSSSSS"
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

here's a video i did with your mod in it, and with droplets, feel free to use it if you'd like
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

One thing I would like you to put in next version: Since the mod already have the option to allow/not allow black and white enemy to spawn in a map , how about you add the option to guarantee that at least one black or white enemy will spawn in a map too?
That is something that would be fun, but I am unsure how I could it pull it off code wise without potentially causing a clusterfuck
I have an idea on how to tweak red mancubus and green cybie.

I have done something similiar to this for the next version, the red manc has more charge up and the attack is more visible.
Slightly off-topic, but are there any plans to expand this mod to Heretic and Hexen? I know Wrath of Cronos already does something similar, replacing some enemies at random with different colored variants with new abilities. However, you can't use that with other weapon mods.
Not really, I feel hexen and heretic wouldnt really benefit from this mod
I've finally gotten around to putting some serious time into this mod. Unfortunately, when it comes to slaughter maps I can't use this. The framerate drops to single digits on Combat Shock 2 map04 when you go in the red door room. This is a benchmark I like to use. I've been playing through Sunlust with it and when I got to map24's giant end battle my framerate was so bad I had to exit the game. If there's any performance tweaking you could do that would be great. Or if you don't like slaughter maps just ignore me.

Edit: I should point out that I changed the spawn chances. I'm assuming the performance is much better when there isn't a lot of the more fancy monsters using fire spells and stuff.

Edit2: I found an issue with using LegenDoom with this. If a yellow revenant spawns and it's a legend you get a free soulsphere. The red HK has a simpler way of spawning buddies that should probably be copied to the Yellow revenant.
Yeah that is a problem that is more computer/map specific I'd say, it's to be expected to lag, specially with slaughter maps, I could probably do some effect toggles at some point, if it could potentially work.
for some reason CH will lag with maps that are huuuuge and have long draw distance

I am aware the yellow revenant issue and it's fixed in next version.
Can I see what the monsters looks like? from Green to White. I just wanna look at them because I don't own Doom. :c

Sorry if this is any inconvenience to you.

(I literally just made an account, just to say this.)
You can view some of them through SLADE or so, but doom isnt hard to get nowdays
I noticed that with Trailblazer 1.4, the event where the sword and shield wielding skeletons (Forgot what the event is called) will cause a random monster to instead of spawning said skeleton will for some odd reason cause the player to take constant damage as if they were standing in lava or acid (forgot the amount of damage dealt) until either player dies or somehow finds the exit. So how would I go about disabling that specific even through Slade?
White zombie man causes them, you can disable the radius give in the scripted state.
I made a little recoloured congo line of cacodemons for you to use in your thread title post as a little thank you for making this great mod.
I often play lethaldoom with this mod, so thanks for this again
Neat! Could use this actually.

Ive had update long over do, with lot of tweaks and so, I need to finally finish the final addition to it so I can release it.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I have a lot of questions to ask and some things to say.

We have all the missing white/black variants now?

So if the colored cacos that Crudux Cruo posted are going to be used, are they all going to make it as different baddies or are they going to replace some of the colored caco's sprites? (barring yellow and higher, probably)

Also, do other enemies get this treatment as well? For me it's fine if only cacodemons get this treatment, and I hope that some of the colored cacos there, mostly the orange-green and beyond makes it.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having lots of caco variants with different colors thanks to them looking really nice regardless of their color. With different attacks and quirks of course.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

4thcharacter wrote:I have a lot of questions to ask and some things to say.

We have all the missing white/black variants now?

So if the colored cacos that Crudux Cruo posted are going to be used, are they all going to make it as different baddies or are they going to replace some of the colored caco's sprites? (barring yellow and higher, probably)

Also, do other enemies get this treatment as well? For me it's fine if only cacodemons get this treatment, and I hope that some of the colored cacos there, mostly the orange-green and beyond makes it.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having lots of caco variants with different colors thanks to them looking really nice regardless of their color. With different attacks and quirks of course.
keep in mind i actually only recolored 1 frame in gimp for each color and put them in a line for the titlepost picture or whatever. i was not suggesting hegecactus recolor every caco again!
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

but is very easy recolor every caco with slade or photoshop ._.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

1.) its not. its tedious, and to remake 17 monsters in at least green, blue, and purple, it would be 51 full frame recolours. its alot of work. for just one zombie recolour, thats 49 frames. a single frame, handmade recolor can take 2-4 minutes with someone with average skils. for one high quality recolour, you're talking 3-6 hours for a zombieman. 1 down, 50 more to go. Case in point, that caco lineup took me about 20 minutes. i'm decent, and it took me that long for 1 frame of each.

2.) if you did that, thats alot of sprites. it would massively expand the size of the file.

3.) could be cool. admittedly, some really high quality recolors could be really cool. but lets keep in mind this is Hege Cactus's baby here. he's done this solo for quite some time. lets not push him to far, and ask too much.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”