Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Lime

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.87 taken under

Post by Lime »

Does this mean I can combine the DoomRLA Monster Pack with this? Just curious though.
EDIT; Oh. ok
Last edited by Lime on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Lime wrote:Does this mean I can combine the DoomRLA Monster Pack with this? Just curious though.
No.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I have a suggestion on the white zombie, can it also spawn some other type of undead enemy like a real zombie besides the skeletons? The zombies from Blood should fit in nicely, and IIRC the axe zombie has an animation where it digs out from underground.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I have a suggestion on the white zombie, can it also spawn some other type of undead enemy like a real zombie besides the skeletons? The zombies from Blood should fit in nicely, and IIRC the axe zombie has an animation where it digs out from underground.
Well, it doesnt really summon them per say, tho I could add something like that for its spade attack that has monster spawn, not for the projectile attack or drop enchants tho, but I dunno if its worthwhile
Would have to give them more variable or different behavior then to make it more flavourful

So eitherway, I figured I could share this here incase there are people interested in multiplayer;

CH Multiplayer alpha 6 Download

I have been working on a multiplayer, zandronum friendly version of colourful hell. It works in the current version of zandronum just fine but 3.0 zandro can make some behavior more refined and allows for more weapon mods to be played with it
In this version, bosses are buffed, some enemies are changed and there's more emphasis on AoE than direct hits.
Some boring enemies have been removed, and commons dont spawn.
There is also features that Zandro can't handle removed and replaced with silly compensations.

There's also two new tiers that some monsters have gained access to;
Gray & FireBlu
These tier monsters are multiplayer specific that tend to have lot of power and cause trouble in more AoE way or teamplay emphasis behavior

Multiplayer version is not designed for singleplayer, playing this version in single player is outright unfair experience, you have been warned
3 - 4 players recommended for optimal experience

omgwpns works in current zandro version
in 3.0 combined arms works with it
havent tested weapons of saturn yet or samsara or trailblazer zandro beta
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

I do hope to see someone hosting this on Doomseeker. Looks exciting and challenging. Thanks for sharing this.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Hege Cactus wrote: Well, it doesnt really summon them per say, tho I could add something like that for its spade attack that has monster spawn, not for the projectile attack or drop enchants tho, but I dunno if its worthwhile
Would have to give them more variable or different behavior then to make it more flavourful
It would make the white zombie stand out more, IMO.
Hege Cactus wrote: Multiplayer version is not designed for singleplayer, playing this version in single player is outright unfair experience, you have been warned
3 - 4 players recommended for optimal experience
Or, play it with Russian Overkill. Get your vodkas and bowls of borscht boys.

But yep, this seems fun in multiplayer. At least you'd have some pals to keep company when you're scared and hiding somewhere for safety.
Solarn

Post by Solarn »

Hey, this is a great mod. I'd like to give some feedback on the monsters I've encountered so far.

One thing that's pretty much universally true is that orange enemies are way harder than red ones. Red enemies usually just have one powerful attack or a single gimmick, while orange is the color of spam (and lingering fire). The only enemy this is not true for is the archvile. Even cyberdemons and spiders, which are spammy enough in their red versions, are so much worse in orange.

Sometimes green enemies can be harder than blue ones as well, like with the shotgunner or the cyberdemon. The blue version just fires fast, high damage shots, white the green version has a gimmick that makes it hard to avoid (the delay and wide spread for the shotgunner, the poison clouds for the cybie).

Black enemies are all over the place. You already know this, but the shotgunner is basically bullshit, with multiple high health enemies with ridiculously painful hitscans. I can kill black chaingunners and even black imps much more easily. The demon and mancubus meanwhile are basically ammo sponges with very little ability to hit a moving target.

Despite these criticisms, I really love the mod and I hope that you'll eventually add the versions that are missing from it.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I agree that green cybie is actually much more challenging with it's gas clouds. On blue you can strafe or hide from it's attacks.

Red and orange's difficulty are situational at some points when I look at it and they're annoying in their own ways. Yellow revenants are annoying from being to able to throw you off guard and by ambushing you with strong attacks almost anytime when they're in the map. And the red for having a near accurate projectile attacks unless you're able to find a place to hide. Though I can see that certain yellow enemies have advantages over the red ones (Red PE/Yellow PE, Red soul/Yellow soul and demon for example).

Yellow cybie is easier though, just back away and if there are plenty of enemies around it (which is almost the case) it'll get stuck in infighting and it's attacks will mostly miss the targets. Even if it hits some, unlike the player it's targets won't die easily. I always hear it's death wails after a while when I leave it to fight crowds of monsters. But if it's one on one and you're fighting it in an enclosed area, good luck.
Pokky

Post by Pokky »

Has anyone played this with drla weapons?

I noticed that I took full piercing damage from a purple arachnotron. Does most of these monsters deal piercing damage because I can't tell what type of damage done by the color monster type such as green,purple,black and white.

Special backpacks will "skyrocketed" to the sky if dropped from monsters but normal backpack works fine though.

Some weird things I found when playing the game. The white skeletons and spiders can "clip" through the wall, making them stuck in the wall especially for the skeletons if they are near a wall.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

IIRC Purple arachnotron is bullet based and most of these have proper damagetypes into them. The only ones I remember that can pierce your armor are the psychic attack of Yellow arachnotrons, Green chaingunners and the poison clouds. There might be a few more.
Solarn

Post by Solarn »

4thcharacter wrote:I agree that green cybie is actually much more challenging with it's gas clouds. On blue you can strafe or hide from it's attacks.

Red and orange's difficulty are situational at some points when I look at it and they're annoying in their own ways. Yellow revenants are annoying from being to able to throw you off guard and by ambushing you with strong attacks almost anytime when they're in the map. And the red for having a near accurate projectile attacks unless you're able to find a place to hide. Though I can see that certain yellow enemies have advantages over the red ones (Red PE/Yellow PE, Red soul/Yellow soul and demon for example).

Yellow cybie is easier though, just back away and if there are plenty of enemies around it (which is almost the case) it'll get stuck in infighting and it's attacks will mostly miss the targets. Even if it hits some, unlike the player it's targets won't die easily. I always hear it's death wails after a while when I leave it to fight crowds of monsters. But if it's one on one and you're fighting it in an enclosed area, good luck.
Red imp fires a single, slow, slightly homing shot that's easy to avoid, orange imp shoots explosive flames and spews fire that covers an area.
Red zombie has an Unmaker with slow windup, orange zombie has a chaingun and rockets.
Red shotgunner has a super shotgun with one shot at a time, orange shotgunner has a fast auto shotgun.
Red caco has a triple spread or a single slow shot that explodes into smaller projectiles if it hits a wall, orange caco summons multiple damaging orbs and shoots a bouncing flame that stays around for a long time.
Red spider has rapidfire red imp shots, orange spider has weird twisty plasma + unavoidable flashing damage over time that hits from anywhere on the map.
Red baron has a spread shot and a big rock that bounces off walls, orange baron has no cooldown between shots and a single explosive shot that covers the room in smaller explosive shots when it hits something.
Red revenant has a single accurate homing shot, orange revenant can walk through walls and cover a room in fire and lost souls.
Red mastermind has the really powerful red shots (Karasawa shots, I think?) and spawns small killable adds that can drop stuff, orange mastermind has bullet hell patterns.

I'll give you the HK though, that one's also even more spammy in red form.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Red caco has the tendency to spam from left to right non-stop and red mastermind has an avoidable rapid rail-attack. Orange mastermind isn't a bullet hell, he just shoots a plasma shot that in turn shoots another burst plasma shots that are mostly in the fires behind or beside it. It's easily avoidable if you know how it works.
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

It's a very nice mod indeed!

Only thing is that orange revenant is pure bullshit. Its goes trough map and kills you in an instant. Another bullshitter is black lostsoul. Once you hear the bees - you are dead. Flipside about this mod is that the demons except black demon are all weaklings. All the other monsters are hard, well balanced and deadly - but not bullshit.

But I love this mod so much! Thanks. :) :D
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Solarn wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:I agree that green cybie is actually much more challenging with it's gas clouds. On blue you can strafe or hide from it's attacks.

Red imp fires a single, slow, slightly homing shot that's easy to avoid, orange imp shoots explosive flames and spews fire that covers an area.
Red zombie has an Unmaker with slow windup, orange zombie has a chaingun and rockets.
Red shotgunner has a super shotgun with one shot at a time, orange shotgunner has a fast auto shotgun.
Red caco has a triple spread or a single slow shot that explodes into smaller projectiles if it hits a wall, orange caco summons multiple damaging orbs and shoots a bouncing flame that stays around for a long time.
Red spider has rapidfire red imp shots, orange spider has weird twisty plasma + unavoidable flashing damage over time that hits from anywhere on the map.
Red baron has a spread shot and a big rock that bounces off walls, orange baron has no cooldown between shots and a single explosive shot that covers the room in smaller explosive shots when it hits something.
Red revenant has a single accurate homing shot, orange revenant can walk through walls and cover a room in fire and lost souls.
Red mastermind has the really powerful red shots (Karasawa shots, I think?) and spawns small killable adds that can drop stuff, orange mastermind has bullet hell patterns.

I'll give you the HK though, that one's also even more spammy in red form.

Blue cybie is going to get another attack that should make him more interesting to battle in the future, cause I do kinda agree that green is more threatening as it is.
Green shotgunner vs blue shotgunner is debatable, blue shotgunner used to be insane sniper before I nerfed him and gave him the alternative attack, granted I need to buff the said alternative attack a little it seems.

yellow vs red is bit of a two sided blade here, tho lot of the red ones have had nerfs before.

Red imp used to one shot players, I had to nerf him 3 times. currently he has that enrage that makes him go spammier and faster after one pain state, tho I could fine tune the attack itself a bit. Granted, yellow imp's fire shitting is annoying and might get tuned down.

Red zombie will annihilate you if left unchecked. Yellow zombie has a weakness with the rockets if you let her fire 3 of em. I might make red zombie more aggressive and lower the wind up a little however cause yellow zombie does have that dodging.

Red shotgunner is very lame, I have to agree here. Originally I was afraid the one shot SSG might be too strong but honestly, he never gets the chance to use it. I plan to give him an alt fire for med - long range that should get players more... fired up.

Red caco is aggressive, spams like hell. Orange caco is more of disturbance / support / nuisance monster. I fail to see this one completely.

Red spider wont flinch when firing and the shots scatter, its extremely aggressive and will be your doom if its in a situation where you'd normally hope to flinch a spider. Yellow's advantage is the flying and the long rape mind bullets, tho in terms of DPS and immediate threat, red spider should take the cake here easily. However I do think yellow spiders health might be bit too high for its mobility.

Red baron has two variants; wuss and boss. I dont think we even need to go through the boss version. Wuss version alone has large spread, bounce bomb and when enraged, goes super spam mode and insane speed. Orange baron has longer warning and slower fire rate all together, tho his star throw spam move is a little too persistant at times, but in general seeing red baron raise its other hand should be a bigger exclamation mark than seeing yellow one do it, if it doesnt then I'm not sure you've ran into red ones plenty enough.

Red revenant has mega laser of doom and very accurate hard to dodge spam shot, however, yellow revenant is kinda messy and old code wise, so he is broken in those terms alone. I will be tweaking yellow revenant in the future, but his no clip stays for the sake of terror.

Red mastermind is terrifying horror beast that has accurate rapid railgun move, fires homing blood orbs that have mirror image trail making them harder to hit, when enraged, summons multiple portal circle saws that can cover an area quickly and have randomized patterns that can cause real pain in the ass. Yellow mastermind has triple spread bullet that has sparkle trail and can summon drones that home in like the blood orbs, but are easier to spot and dodge.

There is some situational stuff with yellow vs red and most of the time, red variants rarity alone makes them seem weaker compared to how often you run into yellow.
Granted, there is still balance issues around.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Hege Cactus wrote:Red shotgunner is very lame, I have to agree here. Originally I was afraid the one shot SSG might be too strong but honestly, he never gets the chance to use it. I plan to give him an alt fire for med - long range that should get players more... fired up.
u fookin wot m8
Red Shotgunner is the king of RNG-based instakills.

OH HEY LET'S MAKE A ZOMBIE WITH AN SSG
OH HEY LET'S NOT ACTUALLY GIVE HIM A COOLDOWN ON HIS ATTACK
OH LOOK HE FIRED THREE SSG SHOTS IN ABOUT A SECOND FLAT
WHAT'S THAT, YOU FLINCHED HIM DIRECTLY AFTER HE FIRED?
FREE EXTRA SSG SHOT TO YOUR FACE

yes i mad

unless you actually changed that since I last played, in which case feel free to call me a pile of sentient bees

Return to “Gameplay Mods”