Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

KILLER2

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.80 Imping

Post by KILLER2 »

I tried playing this a bit with DoomRL and I'd say there are some things I really don't like. Aside from the mod not being fully compatible with DoomRL (which is sort of besides the point, it's not supposed to be), I really don't like the way you handled some rarer enemies and bosses. You have some monsters wayyy too much HP, which will invariably cause you to run out of ammo in most mapsets. The fact that the monsters are stupid tanks also makes for fairly boring gameplay. Having to kill a baron with 5 SSG shots was ALREADY tedious. Don't even get me started on the same thing with the shotgun. Maybe it's too far in development to address this, but I feel the challenge of the monsters should come in their abilities and how well you can deal with them, instead of just having them deal medium damage but take 50% of your resources to kill. I'd rather fight a 300 hp black imp that moves really fast and has absurd damage than a slow, medium damage 2600 hp black imp.
My suggestion is to rework all of the "regular" rarity enemies to have arguably the same hp, and having the difficulty come from their abilities or something. It's fine if the black/white variants have relevantly more hp, but not freaking close to 100 times more hp (i.e.:black chaingunner).
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Not compatible with doomrl? Aside from enemies dealing out correct damagetypes but not having right damage resistances, the monsters work fine. On the health thing that would be necessary in vanilla, besides most of them drop ammo upon death. On weapon mods like Trailblazer or DoomRL, it would make the things easy (and contradictory for the latter since the random monsters with different healths create a roguelike feeling and makes DoomRL's name more right).
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

KILLER2 wrote:Silly stuff and silly things.
The rarer enemies are supposed to be Boss-level monsters. Even if they have dangerous attacks and abilities, having their HP be closer to their lower-tier counterparts would make them NOT threatening in the least, especially when you have stronger weapons.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

iSpook wrote:
KILLER2 wrote:Silly stuff and silly things.
The rarer enemies are supposed to be Boss-level monsters. Even if they have dangerous attacks and abilities, having their HP be closer to their lower-tier counterparts would make them NOT threatening in the least, especially when you have stronger weapons.
Ok. Please explain to me how the flying FUCK am I supposed to deal with a 5000 health chaingunner/imp/demon on level 3 with a shotgun with 25 shells and a chaingun with 100 bullets.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

The white and black enemies are entirely overtuned for sure.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

KILLER2 wrote:More things and stuff.
You don't. You run from it. I thought you'd know that by now. Like I said, they're supposed to be BOSSES, not just "Complex doom"-level, bullshit-class normal mooks.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I'll just drop this from the first post;
BlackEnemy: "Lucifers handcrafted challenge just for you". When these guys spawn, they let you know it. These are always bosses that will make your day miserable if they spawn in a badplace. They are very rare so maybe that day wont always come, unless you tempt fate. They differ a lot from the usual enemy
WhiteEnemy: "RNG Hates you tier". Similiar to the Black tier, these guys will let you know when they spawn and they are pretty much the hardmode boss style enemies. As their name implies, you should know what to expect. Just hope map01 wont spawn first former as white; they are the most rarest with the lowest chance to spawn. They differ a lot from the usual enemy.
Like iSpook said, they are bosses that spawn, its why you get the level message for em
If there was a problem free way to make em not spawn in the first level(s) I'd have put that in, but currently if you are un lucky, they will just become a fate to escape from.

I am aware that they can be bit hard to take on ammo wise sometimes, but its why big chunk of em actually have "gifts" or so to give you ammo
Like the black imps big ball attack, look closely after the smoke clears down.

Also if you are patient, you can make black chaingunner kill itself, its one of the rare few bosses that isnt immune to its own damage.

Finally, this mod isn't 100% compat with doomRLA but it's very damn close and I tend to use it myself a lot when I test changes and mooks, with other weaponmod for that being trailblazer
If you want easy mode and one of the bigger compat breakers, take demomang, you will take like 50% less damage and some bosses turn into complete jokes.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Honestly the best tool for dealing with Black and White spawns (especially early in the game) is save scumming.

Seriously, don't be ashamed to save scum it, especially when you're outgunned in the beginning. I do this often with randomizer mods like this one. Right before I hit the exit button to go to the next level I save my game so that if the deck is stacked against me next level I just reload my previous save and try again.

It's pretty much rerolls for days or until RNGesus shows you mercy. :v
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

TBH, I love the monsters having high HP. But yeah, on Doom it can get a little tedious with the original weapons you have. Still it adds challenge and I like it since the original enemies can get boring after a while. The boss enemies are meant to be feared like a plague alright, especially on Vanilla. But whenever I see the warnings pop-up on various weapon mods, I can't stop myself from grinning.

Also, next release when? :D Sorry, I'm just too excited.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Nems wrote:Honestly the best tool for dealing with Black and White spawns (especially early in the game) is save scumming.

Seriously, don't be ashamed to save scum it, especially when you're outgunned in the beginning. I do this often with randomizer mods like this one. Right before I hit the exit button to go to the next level I save my game so that if the deck is stacked against me next level I just reload my previous save and try again.

I personally try to never save. If I lose the current map I just restart the save I had at the start of the level and use "changemap [current map]" and hope I get better roled enemies/drops. I actually learned this trick from AeoD, it was a tip for playing that mod.

I don't really mind bosses that much but...I rolled a zombie boss in hellbound on map02 on a heavy hitscanners map and was a bit upset.

EDIT:By the way Hege Cactus, do you think you could maybe try adding specific drops for DRLA? Currently you're flooded with too many armors, boots and regular weapons, but the higher rarity bosses don't drop rarer loot (this is what I meant when I said it's not fully compatible). It would be awesome if you could do that. In fact, taking down the damn bosses would start to look really tempting if they always dropped a rare or master crafted weapon ;P
Maybe some fancy gore effects (more like ludicrous gibs amirite?) support too?
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

truly a cruel mistress the RNG is
TBH, I love the monsters having high HP. But yeah, on Doom it can get a little tedious with the original weapons you have. Still it adds challenge and I like it since the original enemies can get boring after a while. The boss enemies are meant to be feared like a plague alright, especially on Vanilla. But whenever I see the warnings pop-up on various weapon mods, I can't stop myself from grinning.

Also, next release when? :D Sorry, I'm just too excited.
Yeh, I should really say that this mod wasn't too much planned for vanilla, mostly for extra challenge for weapon mods or so

And I will release a next release in not too long, I just need to finish up one more black tier monster and tweak up some stuff, and try and see if I have the time to tweak the black shotgunner spawn.
I'm aiming to try release near the same time as LegenDoom just to ride the wave :roll:
EDIT:By the way Hege Cactus, do you think you could maybe try adding specific drops for DRLA? Currently you're flooded with too many armors, boots and regular weapons, but the higher rarity bosses don't drop rarer loot (this is what I meant when I said it's not fully compatible). It would be awesome if you could do that. In fact, taking down the damn bosses would start to look really tempting if they always dropped a rare or master crafted weapon ;P
Maybe some fancy gore effects (more like ludicrous gibs amirite?) support too?
Specific drops is something I've been considering, but I think I should look at making that an optional patch for compat in general just incase, and there are some other things to fix too when it comes to doomrla specificly, like dropping demomangs grin a little when facing the death missiles of doooooom.
Drop wise tho, I have planned to tweak the armor bonus drops down significantly for the next release to stop the flooding of boots and never need to worry about armor breaking with doomrla ever.
Currently, rarer and higher tier bosses drop a lot of backpacks, which tends to compensate into crates, which are like christmas in doomrla.

Fancier effects gore wise aren't really too high in my priority, but they would be nice to have at some point, and effect improvement to polish the looks in general is something I desire to do eventually
Tho that is for the future once everything else is done, I do tweak attacks and that type of effects tho cause you gotta know when the attack is really gonna hurt, but I really don't have the time to learn how to do fancier gore and brightmaps and the like, really. Which is why the quality can vary between the tiers and its very basic line in general so far.

Also I am thinking of adding a little list of mods that work with this mod to the first post at some point, maybe I should do that at the same time for the next release when I have to update it?
Just gotta do a little digging to check what patches people have made for some mods.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

You could make boss enemies surely drop a crate or two. On mine I edited the black enemies (sans the black cybie, which drops two) to drop a single crate when they die. And the white enemies drop two crates. Unless you're lucky then it would take you a lot of crates to get something very worthy.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Hege Cactus wrote:
Specific drops is something I've been considering, but I think I should look at making that an optional patch for compat in general just incase, and there are some other things to fix too when it comes to doomrla specificly, like dropping demomangs grin a little when facing the death missiles of doooooom.
Umm WHAT?!
Hege Cactus wrote: Fancier effects gore wise aren't really too high in my priority, but they would be nice to have at some point, and effect improvement to polish the looks in general is something I desire to do eventually
Can't you just take the ones from DRLA Monster Pack and change the colors?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

KILLER2 wrote:
Hege Cactus wrote: Fancier effects gore wise aren't really too high in my priority, but they would be nice to have at some point, and effect improvement to polish the looks in general is something I desire to do eventually
Can't you just take the ones from DRLA Monster Pack and change the colors?
Go ahead! This would actually be the best way to do it. The Nashgore used in DRLA is heavily customized; not only does it take into account velocity, but also blood color! There's even a special gibber type for Spectres, you can copy it and add any Renderstyle to it, and the gibs will copy that.

Make sure to, of course, credit Nash for the original system, and Kate, Kyle873 and myself for the fancy adaptations to it. Attack me on irc if you need help working out where everything is in my fustercluck of a mod.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

The machine pe's sprites would seem to go well as the white counterpart. The cacobyss too. Imo there seems to be nothing good and fitting for white spectre and demon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”