Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

PFL

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97b fix fix hotfix

Post by PFL »

yeah, I encountered that situation with the latest release. One hit or so before they get killed, they stop moving.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

I love PillowBlaster's Guncaster mod. But I want to make it more difficult and spicy so I wanted to play it with Colorful Hell mod. But I get one of 2 problems.

A) Enemies are colourful but they don't drop gold

B) The game runs but enemies are not colourful.

I tried different orders and even patches to make it work but I couldn't do it.

Any help?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Alptraum wrote: Any help?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63660

Load order is:

Guncaster
CH
Adapter
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Ah, damn it
I was hoping to not have to update so quick but the colourblind mode add on made one huge oversight on my part and many monsters that had old way of entering phase 2 ended up having messed up warps

So here, CH 97CCC
Download;
Link

-Fixed the jump issues
-Nerfed Benellus normal form a tiny bit (rushed, not the final rework)

Edit: this was also bit sudden patch so I didnt have time to implement the ogg sound fix yet
quad01man

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc fiiix

Post by quad01man »

Hi there, using the latest build of colorful hell and I came across a freeze that happens when orange pain elementals start spewing their souls. Its just the transparent orange elementals, and It happens after the first or second soul to come out.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

That freeze is on the yellow Lost Souls themselves. GZDoom 4.0.0 completely freezes when the Yellow Lost Soul attacks and hits something.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

That is an oversight I accidentally did not notice when changing the colourblind mode jump things

Ive reuploaded a fixed version.
huntrag94

Post by huntrag94 »

Alptraum wrote:I love PillowBlaster's Guncaster mod. But I want to make it more difficult and spicy so I wanted to play it with Colorful Hell mod. But I get one of 2 problems.

A) Enemies are colourful but they don't drop gold

B) The game runs but enemies are not colourful.

I tried different orders and even patches to make it work but I couldn't do it.

Any help?
Have you tried using this viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63660 it's a fix for most monster mod add-ons fix for GC
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

huntrag94 wrote:
Spoiler:
Have you tried using this viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63660 it's a fix for most monster mod add-ons fix for GC
Not only is the post 2 months old, I linked the adapter in the post directly below it.
huntrag94

Post by huntrag94 »

Rowsol wrote:
huntrag94 wrote:
Spoiler:
Not only is the post 2 months old, I linked the adapter in the post directly below it.
My bad didn't see the date @ _@
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

So I made a "monochrome" addon that lets you force all monsters to spawn at a specific tier/color, and I figured I'd upload it in case anyone else would have a use for it:

Screenshot (top one is standard CH spawning for comparison):
Spoiler:
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72l8nslo5hbnm ... n.pk3?dl=0

You'll need to load it after the main CH mod for it to work, but other than that it seems to do the trick, at least on GZDoom 3.7.2. I haven't tested it with mods that require compatibility patches.

Black and White tiers are not selectable because not every monster has black/white variants. (Plus I'm a little nervous to find out what would happen if you tried to spawn large groups of enemies that are designed to be fought by themselves.)
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

After months of using the Shades of Doom/Champions/LegenDoom Lite combo I finally tried CH. And it's fucking great, but definately a little harder. I think I'll take a look at the custom difficulty submod now :mrgreen: But keep up the good work! I'm gonna play some more with this. :3:
zitro1987

Post by zitro1987 »

I like the new mod that allows you to play against a single color as opposed to a mix. Unfortunately, red enemies are not intended to be played alone - in groups they are game-breaking and/or unbalanced even on difficulty #2 with custom doom reducing damage by 1/3 or 40%. A shame, because some of the red monsters do work well even if 100% - shotgunner, caco, demons, hell knight, revenant, mancubi, arachnotron and a few others appear perfectly balanced in a terrifying sense. However, those zombiemen, imps, chaingunners are particularly difficult to navigate around due to their incredible hard-to-avoid damage. Also barons and archvilles play like bosses which are fine with a mix of colors, but gamebreaking when playing 100% red. So I guess I have no recommendations here.

However, playing with 100% orange on difficulty #2 for most maps is a blast! Orange enemies behave similarly enough to their original counterparts that they won't break balance or heavily impact gameplay. Playing with fewer but tougher enemies as described is extremely enjoyable and I don't mind the concept of 'bullet sponge' enemies too much if such enemies simultaneously have greater potential to cause damage because a player finds it challenging to avoid their attacks (the boring bullet sponges were the original caco and baron because their damage potential is really low except in close quarters).

Some thoughts on particular orange enemies:

Zombiemen - Cool seeing female representation, but they don't look or sound 'undead' in any way, plus their coughing is very irritating. I recommend changing the sounds a bit for these. Other than that, these enemies are the right level of challenging in packs, causing moderate damage and occasionally surviving a single mid-range double-shotgun blast. I particularly like that they can launch rockets at you if you keep your distance.

Shotgunner - Also the right level of challenging. Their damage potential is not ridiculous, but it is harder to avoid their rapid-fire shots (the best approach, if distance is possible, is to stay far away so their attacks deal less than 15hp per shot)

Chaingunner - Same recommendation about making these look or sound more undead. I like how we can actually dodge their attacks, but their damage output is extreme, possibly higher than it should be. Sometimes they even snipe you from afar, dealing more damage than I think they should. Their hp is interesting as it allows them to survive a rocket or point-blank super shotgun shot. I recommend lowering their damage output by a third.

Imps - Not too challenging (avoidable attacks) but imps often come in groups so they are well balanced here. Thankfully those attacks can really hurt if you fail to avoid them, so I have to stay focused.

Demons/Specters - Love them. Now that they jump in your direction, it is more challenging to keep your distance. Plus you need 2 rockets now.

Lost Soul - harder to dodge due to not responding to some bullets plus they split into 2-3 regular lost souls afterwards, so these are properly challenging.

Caco - Attacks are tougher to avoid due to the bouncing effect. I’m not a big fan of attack animations including the orb shields but gameplay-wise these units work well. Probably the closest to a bullet sponge

Hell Knight - Very well designed and balanced. I have lots of praises for this monster

Baron of Hell - Also very well designed and balanced, but please remove the self-splash damage so they don't hurt themselves with their own attacks.

Revenant - Bizarre and the only potentially game-breaking due to playing very differently (passes through walls, sluggish), but these are immersive and fan-favorite, so I won't throw recommendations.

Arachnotron - Nice that they get to be fast and flying. A bit impactful to gameplay, but not enough to break maps in my opinion. Right level of challenge due to their durability, close combat aggression and maneuvers and long distance attacks. One of the best designed monsters in whole mod

Pain Elemental - See lost soul

Mancubi - these are very well designed, challenging creatures that never seem to break maps. It is a great challenge fighting 4 of these at a time without the BFG.

Arch-Vile - Less dangerous attack than even the original arch-vile, but the danger revolves around them summoning creatures (instead of just reviving them). I think that feature (and their high hp) makes them formidable mini-bosses and have the right difficulty. When playing monochrome i like the variety of multicolor summons

Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon - Not as experienced against these, but I enjoyed these versions a lot. They provide a really tough fight, but they are not unfair to the player (you
sirleviatan

Post by sirleviatan »

thanks for the mod, it's amazing, I use a pack of Metadoom:
viewtopic.php?t=53010
Nameless Lite RPG Mod 1.6.0
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=56272
and Colourful Hell 0.97ccc
viewtopic.php?t=47980
and it's a bestiality, thank you very, very much!
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I don't know if anyone else encounters this on occasion, but with none of the extra spawn options on, there are occasionally these invisible spots in the case of cybies that causes friendlies to freak out, but the monsters themselves never spawn.

I haven't run into this often, but it's a bit annoying for 100% kills when this happens. Also Yellow Archvile eggs have a tendency at random to ruin 100% kills.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”