Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

4thcharacter

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.89 shady shady

Post by 4thcharacter »

The update time couldn't be more perfect. At a friday night too!

The color translation on some zombies definitely look better, but the new ground attack of blue chaingunner seems messy, graphical-wise.

Also, there was a talk about single-color game modes and difficulty with this game way, way before here. Since I saw DoomRL's new announced difficulty, would it be possible to have a progressive map spawning as a game mode?

Way back then I thought of this having a progressive mode where on the beginning maps the stronger enemies like orange and red are very rare but as it goes on they get more common and the weaker ones get rare but not entirely becoming the main enemy, probably the "main color" stops at pink. The black and white still keeps their spawn chance as it is, making them common at the late game even with the player having a complete set of gear would be cruel.

Also, the new tags. They're actually hilarious, contrasting to the tags that have a serious feel that I actually gave them during the older versions when I went w/ the JPHud healthbar.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

4thcharacter wrote:The update time couldn't be more perfect. At a friday night too!

The color translation on some zombies definitely look better, but the new ground attack of blue chaingunner seems messy, graphical-wise.

Also, there was a talk about single-color game modes and difficulty with this game way, way before here. Since I saw DoomRL's new announced difficulty, would it be possible to have a progressive map spawning as a game mode?

Way back then I thought of this having a progressive mode where on the beginning maps the stronger enemies like orange and red are very rare but as it goes on they get more common and the weaker ones get rare but not entirely becoming the main enemy, probably the "main color" stops at pink. The black and white still keeps their spawn chance as it is, making them common at the late game even with the player having a complete set of gear would be cruel.

Also, the new tags. They're actually hilarious, contrasting to the tags that have a serious feel that I actually gave them during the older versions when I went w/ the JPHud healthbar.
Well the attack isnt suppoused to be ground, more of close quarter, I might need to tweak it.

And yes, Ive talked about that with Yholl and Im definatly gonna have something similiar in plans
when I get around to remake the spawn system I will have a menu just for tweaking the spawns.

and yas, mission complete
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

Do any of the quotes on map start (other than black/white spawn alerts) have gameplay effect linked to them? I just got "Hey, how many imps have you killed today?" or similar.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Nope.
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

Wait, isn't that itself a black/white imp spawn alert?
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

yeah, I figured that one out right quick. the first meeting was kinda disappointing; it spawned in a walled-off alcove in e1m6-- meaning no loot.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

The black archvile after death leaves behind his glowing eyes in latest ZDoom.
PerilousPear

Post by PerilousPear »

I retreated from a fight with red pain elemental, but when I came back, he wasn't there. I couldn't find him anywhere at all. After a while my health began to chip away, also there were some disturbing noises in the background. Is it supposed to be like this or was that a bug?
Last edited by PerilousPear on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solus

Post by Solus »

Hello!
I just want to make a small commentary on Colourful Hell.
I've been playing with it for the past weeks and it has been awesome! I combined it with Trailblazer and I've been having a huge blast! When I think I've seen it all, your mod throws another new boss that makes my jaws drop. Unholy crap, the white spiders things. Insane!!! Did you have all this ideas from scratch or did you made up while it is was developed? Incredible!
I'm going through megawads with your mod and I haven't got tired yet. I always want to play more. So much fun!
Well, that's all. Nice work! Your mod is awesome!
mutator

Post by mutator »

where is the compat patch for the guncaster?
McConville

Post by McConville »

Sorry if I ask and maybe this question was already answered, but: when I try to launch this mod together with the Ketchup-Mod, the monsters of Colorfull Hell won't spawn. Do I have to edit something?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

McConville wrote:Sorry if I ask and maybe this question was already answered, but: when I try to launch this mod together with the Ketchup-Mod, the monsters of Colorfull Hell won't spawn. Do I have to edit something?
Ketchup isn't exactly "universal" - as far as I remember, it adds its blood effects by outright replacing the monsters. So while the monsters don't include the Brutal effects like headshots and the like, they're still not compatible with other mods that replace monsters.
McConville

Post by McConville »

wildweasel wrote:
McConville wrote:Sorry if I ask and maybe this question was already answered, but: when I try to launch this mod together with the Ketchup-Mod, the monsters of Colorfull Hell won't spawn. Do I have to edit something?
Ketchup isn't exactly "universal" - as far as I remember, it adds its blood effects by outright replacing the monsters. So while the monsters don't include the Brutal effects like headshots and the like, they're still not compatible with other mods that replace monsters.
Ah. Good to know. Thanks.
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

wildweasel wrote:
I've been playing this mod with ketchup forever though, and it's been working for me. Are you using v5 nogibs?
Yrvyne

Colourful Fractal Monster Mod

Post by Yrvyne »

Hello, Hege Cactus! Thank you for the awesome experience Colourful Hell provides. It's been a sister-staple monster mod in my gameplay for quite some time now - coupled with Combined Arms.

As the title implies, the other sibling is Fractal Doom which is my wishful defacto companion to Colourful Hell.

Would you consider assimilating Fractal Doom (or codes and sprites that function on its principle) within Colourful Hell? (This will greatly increase game difficulty which might require balancing adjustments unless monsters and their spawns are coded so as to also attack each other once hit and when not in very close proximity of doomguy.)

I am aware that a considerable amount of hours' worth of work is required, however, I lack the technical skill and expertise to achieve such a combination. Hence, after much contemplation, I made up my mind to ask you directly.

Having Fractal Doom's assimilation toggled off by default would keep the original Colourfull Hell experience intact.

Thanks a million for reading my suggestion.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”