Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Disc Primitive

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.70 zip zap

Post by Disc Primitive »

What bees? :o So far I haven't encountered anything resembling bees. And I've replayed Going Down with Colourful Hell a few times.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I think they're one of the higher up Lost Soul replacements or something, but I'm not sure. I was playing E3M2 and they came out of the general region where the exit is, so I think they were either a Cacodemon, Lost Soul or Spectre black level.
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing H,NTR. Perhaps it's too easy for them to spawn.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

I forgot this awesome mod.
I decided to pair this with Smiley II, the results were weird, but fun
Spoiler:
This is what you get when ZDoom can't find the right colors, they won't turn colorful
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I was on Ultraviolent.

I actually had some fun messing around with a Doom 64 mod and this, it was funny cause a lot of the sprites actually did get recolored, though everything was way too tall and some of the death anims were messed up.
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

So wait, the recolouring isn't actually new models but instead coded palette swaps? Now that's some badass coding...
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

Disc Primitive wrote:So wait, the recolouring isn't actually new models but instead coded palette swaps? Now that's some badass coding...
It is not that hard though. You can find the PALETTE codes on ZDoom wiki and re-code it with Decorate
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

That way it can adapt itself quite well to WADs with custom palettes. I tried it with Back To Saturn X Episode I and most of the recoloured enemies appeared really good.
Except that pink zombieman with the helmet and plasma rifle. He appeared all weird in BTSX :/
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Reminds me of Diablo 2, all sorts of colours showed up there on rare versions of monsters.
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

TheUnbeholden wrote:Reminds me of Diablo 2, all sorts of colours showed up there on rare versions of monsters.
I thought that was the first Diablo, not second. Because I also thought about those games when I first played this.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Man those bees are insane. Do they have a cap on how many spawn? I had so many I was starting to lag.
I have a fix for that in the next version that should help with the lag issue
That way it can adapt itself quite well to WADs with custom palettes. I tried it with Back To Saturn X Episode I and most of the recoloured enemies appeared really good.
Except that pink zombieman with the helmet and plasma rifle. He appeared all weird in BTSX :/
Yeah, most of the enemies are recoloured via the translation feature and they do look pretty nice in BTSX, I actually played through BTSX ep 2 with one test version and some of the translations looked pretty badass.
But there was also issues like purple and blue mancubi being identical.

Currently I'm working on a polishing round to fix a little issue with blood colours + corpses that I had overlooked, and to fix some other little issues like the rare infinite works green demons.
Also there's a little issue with the black and white spawns, now that the black spawns have started to reach the level that nearly all monsters have one, I've started to notice something I refer as haiku effect on start of larger maps, so I'm thinking if I should further tweak the spawn rates or look into making a script to limit black & white spawns a bit, but idk.
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

But is it possible for this mod to work as intended in WADs with custom palettes?
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Disc Primitive wrote:But is it possible for this mod to work as intended in WADs with custom palettes?
Behavior wise, yes
Looks wise, no.
Disc Primitive

Post by Disc Primitive »

Well, as long as it behaves as intended I am all pleased :)
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Hege Cactus wrote:
Man those bees are insane. Do they have a cap on how many spawn? I had so many I was starting to lag.
I have a fix for that in the next version that should help with the lag issue
Yeah, most of the enemies are recoloured via the translation feature and they do look pretty nice in BTSX, I actually played through BTSX ep 2 with one test version and some of the translations looked pretty badass.
But there was also issues like purple and blue mancubi being identical.

Currently I'm working on a polishing round to fix a little issue with blood colours + corpses that I had overlooked, and to fix some other little issues like the rare infinite works green demons.
Also there's a little issue with the black and white spawns, now that the black spawns have started to reach the level that nearly all monsters have one, I've started to notice something I refer as haiku effect on start of larger maps, so I'm thinking if I should further tweak the spawn rates or look into making a script to limit black & white spawns a bit, but idk.
You might want to see if you can limit the number of black and white spawns that can appear in a map, I was playing MAP06 of TNT and I had THREE black spawns (zombieman, imp, and shotgun) amd that had 297 monsters. I'd hate to see what maps with larger monster counts would spawn.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”