Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

bowserknight

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.929 grayline

Post by bowserknight »

Hege Cactus wrote: so I looked through this and must say, Impressive work! Tho its more of a gauntlet than a showcase map, still, very nice work
I love the little details on some of the black & white room that gives them personality like the white HK room and white caco room

one thing that bit bugs me is that the colour lights on some of the rooms, mostly the blue and green are quite harsh and it hides the translation in the enemies, those rooms that have one enemy stuck in a pillar or caco could have them having normal light if you wish to showcase em.

I'll look forward to the finished map

Yeah I also noticed the thing with the color lights, it kind of "overlays" their colors but I don't really know a way how to do a similiar effect without ruining their color schemes. It really bothered me too at the start but I kinda got used to it.

And also, I indeed had something else in mind when I started with this, I originally intended the map to be like Psychophobia's test room, if you've ever seen that. You press a button and the monster you want will be summoned. Then I thought that it would be too simple for my taste and changed the idea a little.

Lastly, I really messed up vs. the black Caco and Pain Elemental. Those can be really annoying if they spawn too many monsters... but I was also in a rush.

Anyways, glad that you still like it! Need to make some more improvements but I hardly have any time to do so. Need to try the new path as well.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I watched from the beginning to the end. I like some of the names you gave the boss enemies, compared to mine which seems monotonous and kinda less varied. You're also a better player than me, I would've died plenty of times on most enemies there, mainly the black shotgunners and zombie.

About the map, this isn't much of a priority but it would be good if the areas of the boss enemies had some props or had an improved look, like gravestones for white zombie, lab apparatus and disgusting barrels for mad scientist (Psychophobia had some of these), chains and skulls for the juggernaut and so on. Probably make the whole place for the black bfg general to resemble a military base too.
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

I know what you mean but that would require me to import textures and stuff from other mods/wads and I don't want to put too much external stuff in it, also I'm honestly a little too lazy for that lol. Sometimes I also just can't think of any good designs for rooms.

About the gray / fireblu monsters, how do you even summon them? I tried summoning them with the console with "summon fireblumind" for example but all I get is the yellow one. Also tried playing on deathmatch or coop but can't notice any differences. Sometimes I'm too dumb for the simplest things lol

EDIT: oh wait they were turned off in the CH options... stupid me. Anyways, after testing those out as well now, how does it work if you enable them? Will they just get randomized like all the other monsters? And if so, how big is the chance to encounter them, where can we place them tier-wise? Are they more rare than red monsters or are they somewhere inbetween? Cause they seem to be around yellow / red tier difficulty, at least the fireblu ones. Would be really interested to know how those are calculated. Maybe the answer is already around here somewhere but I couldn't find it yet.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

bowserknight wrote: EDIT: oh wait they were turned off in the CH options... stupid me. Anyways, after testing those out as well now, how does it work if you enable them? Will they just get randomized like all the other monsters? And if so, how big is the chance to encounter them, where can we place them tier-wise? Are they more rare than red monsters or are they somewhere inbetween? Cause they seem to be around yellow / red tier difficulty, at least the fireblu ones. Would be really interested to know how those are calculated. Maybe the answer is already around here somewhere but I couldn't find it yet.
They dont have a specific tier to them, which is why they are optional
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

I know about that, I just meant how high is their chance of appearing compared to other tiers when you activate it? That's all I wanted to know.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

bowserknight wrote:I know about that, I just meant how high is their chance of appearing compared to other tiers when you activate it? That's all I wanted to know.

Spoiler:
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

damn so the chance of them appearing is different for every monster? I thought each color has a set chance, no matter which monster. Didn't know it was this complicated, if it's really true.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It is true, since they fall under a randomspawner therefore they still run on chances to spawn and I based what I got from there. Maybe what Hege means that they don't denote rarity like the standard colors.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

4thcharacter wrote:It is true, since they fall under a randomspawner therefore they still run on chances to spawn and I based what I got from there. Maybe what Hege means that they don't denote rarity like the standard colors.
Bingo!
You get a cookie
Catarne

Post by Catarne »

This mod helps balance the game very well. Even with mods like Russian overkill i need to be careful. Great mod :)
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

just something I found... was fighting with the Black Mastermind and it used the attack where everything gets really dark, it seems like the effect goes away after about 30 seconds but there was one time where it just didn't end, even after the Mind was dead. I went on for like 3 minutes and everything was still dark. I don't know how it happened but it was really annoying, luckily it was just one time. If I knew how to reproduce this I'd tell you :/

But wait... I think I found the answer. It happened again but after 2 minutes it finally ended. I guess if the black Mind uses this move multiple times the effect stacks, so the more it uses it, the longer it takes to go away. So it's not a bug after all.
Last edited by bowserknight on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

bowserknight wrote:just something I found... was fighting with the Black Mastermind and it used the attack where everything gets really dark, it seems like the effect goes away after about 30 seconds but there was one time where it just didn't end, even after the Mind was dead. I went on for like 3 minutes and everything was still dark. I don't know how it happened but it was really annoying, luckily it was just one time. If I knew how to reproduce this I'd tell you :/

But wait... I think I found the answer. It happened again but after 2 minutes it finally ended. I guess if the black Mind uses this move multiple times the effect stacks, so the more it uses it, the longer it takes to go away. So maybe it's not a bug after all.
it stacks, one time I had the effect on for about 30 minutes or so cause I wanted to test out how dark it could actually get~
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

another thing I just realized, is it intentional that the Cybies and Masterminds don't have their immunity to splash damage anymore? all this time I thought they are still immune to it and never used the Rocketlauncher, but they are actually super effective :O
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

bowserknight wrote:another thing I just realized, is it intentional that the Cybies and Masterminds don't have their immunity to splash damage anymore? all this time I thought they are still immune to it and never used the Rocketlauncher, but they are actually super effective :O
That was unintentional bug in the very game (The doom wad). Good to hear it was fixed.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I don't think Cybie and Spider Mastermind's resistance is a bug from the original vanilla Doom... I think they don't have their splash damage resistance anymore because of the other boss enemies that don't have them, for consistency's sake.

Also, it's fun seeing a gray arachnotron decimate a group of weak imp and zombie variants. It batters someone with a high-speed grenade, then the grenade that falls on ground explodes taking out everyone else near the now-dead battered guy. It doesn't stand a chance against tougher enemies thanks to it's slow rate of fire and the delay of it's projectiles' explosions.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”