Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta )

Post by Dewzanity »

If green to purple enemy sprites do become a thing, I'd be quite excited to see everything else. I looked at the picture and immediately nicknamed the Blue Mastermind, "The Blue Pencil Leg Mind".
Poisoncrab

Post by Poisoncrab »

@HeadgeCactus
Thanks for the reply. I've mentioned in a previous post that I've been trying out the mod with a weapon pack and I've found that the additional enemies are much more fun to fight so HP nerfs don't concern me as much, although some could still use some tweaks with their abilities. I also like that Blue Spider Demon you've shown off and since we are on the topic of new sprites I've got even more suggestions. I did some quick editing in gimp so the images below might not look perfect, and I didn't even edit the whole sprites, I just wanted to give a basic visual of my suggestions.

The suggestions below are mostly visual, if I do have ideas for behavioral changes than I'll list them along with the image

Sources
All from the realm 667 repository (except for the purple zombie), the Fireblue zombie is from the heretic style

White shotgunner (Zardaz) abilities: I'd keep it's speed and attack patterns similar but replace the exploding shotguns and have him fire fast moving projectiles rather than a hitscan barrage.

sources:
green - yellow, realm667 repository (Doom Style), Cyan, Fireblue & White from realm667 repository (Heretic style)

New abillities:
White Chaingunner (Banshee) - her overall behavior and attack patterns won't differ much from the mad scientist, the minions she summons however will.
Banshee Minions - Night Shade (Imp level flying enemy), Lost Spirit (ghostly enemy that can pass through walls and fire projectiles), Spirit Imp (ghostly imp that fires a homing projectile, upon death they release a docile wondering ghost that can sacrifice itself to resurrect fallen enemies)

Sources - all from the realm667 repository, both Doom & Heretic styles

Blue Imp may not look very blue here. A blue tint will likely need to be added with the partial invisibility effect.

Sources:
All but the nightmare Imp comes from realm667 (Doom Style), the nightmare imp is from Doom 64

Gray demon abilities - The abilities that the stone demon comes with are already pretty good and fit in well with the stone like aesthetic of most of your gray enemies

Sentinel - Overall I think it should function the same way as the robot but have it replaced with a more demonic looking enemy, the guarding cubes will surround the Grand Sentinel rather than tiny spherical robots.

Gargoyle swarm - Meant to as an alternative to the bees, they can still function the same way, just replace the bees with a monster that better fits doom

Sources:
Satyr, Stone Demon - realm667 (Doom Style), Gargoyle - Realm667 (heretic/hexen style)
Blue Pain Elemental - Doom64
Sentinel, guardian cube - Hellforged

sources:
blue caco - hellforged
purple caco - Doom 64

sources:
Purple Rev - Hellforged

sources:
green, arachnophytes, arachnorbs - realm667 (doom style)
Blue spider - Doom 64
Brown spider - Hellforged

White Mancubus abilities: I think it could keep the attacks from the greater incubus as they are already powerful. I suggest adding in the ability for the Inkubus to melt itself into the ground and reform itself elsewhere (hens the name Inkubus). The melting ability could be used to surprise the player or retreat when wounded.

Source:
Blue, cyan, fireblue, and white all come from realm667 (Doom, heretic, and other styles)
Purple, & brown - Hellforged
Green - I got this one from a monster expansion for Brutal Doom, it may have come from project brutality originally but I'm not sure of the exact source.

I wanted to have one for purple but I couldn't find a fitting sprite for it

Sources - realm667 repository (doom style)

In hindsight I feel I could have made the armor on the blue guy pop a bit more

sources:
green & blue - realm667 (heretic/hexen style), Afrite - realm667 (Doom style)

White Baron abilities (Baron of Time): My suggestions for the Baron of time are heavily inspired by the Time Imp from realm667, I suggest testing him out so you can get a feel of what I'm going for with the white baron.
Health: 8000
Basic attacks: much like the barons attacks but faster and more damaging
Slow Time: The Time baron slows down time for everything on the map but him, this lasts for 30 seconds
Stop Time: time is force to freeze entirely, this effects everything on the map but the baron, lasts for 3 seconds. This ability is often used to trap the player so he can be pelted by the baron's fireballs
Time Travel: upon death the barons soul will leave it's body and return after a short time (about 25 seconds?). When in this second phase the Time baron will have double the speed but half the hitpoints.

Sources - all from realm667 (doom style)

Hell mother abilities:
I think the hell mother (white spiderdemon) should be a powerful summoner, spawning large amounts of demons to attack the player, think of her as a miniature and more mobile Icon of Sin. The hell mother prefers to keep her distance and not engage the player directly but if push comes to shove she is very capable of defending herself with powerful projectile attacks. I'd put her health at about 12000

Sources:
purple - Hellforged
Fireblue - Realm667 (doom style)
White - While it's based on the motherdemon from doom64 I used an altered sprite from Brutal Doom

White abilities - I'd keep it's attack patterns similar to the white cyberdemon that's already ingame, although maybe not have it launch itself in the air as that ability may look rather silly with the new sprite.

Sources:
green, purple, fireblue, red - Realm667 (Doom Style)
blue & black - hellforged
white - edited version of Korax from Heretic
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

This is my opinion, but I feel that every new skin should be based on the original sprites, otherwise it will be too difficult to tell which monster belongs to which class. The current bestiary being simple recolors of the vanilla monsters has a certain charm to it, and I'd argue that it's what separates this mod from other monster randomizers, but I wouldn't mind the addition of slight differences in appearance as long as they're readable as the same monster. Think of it as the monster changing outfits and/or upgrading their equipment with each tier.

In fact, if done properly, I think unique skins for each tier can actually make it easier to tell how dangerous a monster is at first glance. My suggestion would be something like this:

- Use the vanilla monster sprites as a base for Green and Blue tier, giving them only minor cosmetic differences such as the Blue Mastermind's new legs. Same goes for the optional tiers (fireblu, cyan, gray, etc) since the colors of these tiers already stand out so much.
- Use the Hell-Forged monster sprites as a base for Purple, Orange and Red tier, again adding only minor differences with each tier upgrade. For extra style points, keep the armor color the same and change only the monsters' skin and eye colors.
- Black and White could have more dramatic differences since they are bosses; If they're the only ones that have unique appearances not resembling any vanilla Doom monsters, then it will be an immediate warning to the player about what they're going to face.

EDIT: Here's a rough concept of what I mean, using the Revenant as an example...

Each tier is easily readable from a distance as a Revenant, and you can see a clear progression in visual appearance so that even without the colors in place, higher tiers look more threatening. If every monster type follows this visual progression, it should preserve the visual consistency that makes Colorful Hell stand out among the crowd.
Poisoncrab

Post by Poisoncrab »

SpacemanStrife wrote:This is my opinion, but I feel that every new skin should be based on the original sprites, otherwise it will be too difficult to tell which monster belongs to which class.

- Use the vanilla monster sprites as a base for Green and Blue tier, giving them only minor cosmetic differences such as the Blue Mastermind's new legs. Same goes for the optional tiers (fireblu, cyan, gray, etc) since the colors of these tiers already stand out so much.
- Use the Hell-Forged monster sprites as a base for Purple, Orange and Red tier, again adding only minor differences with each tier upgrade. For extra style points, keep the armor color the same and change only the monsters' skin and eye colors.
- Black and White could have more dramatic differences since they are bosses; If they're the only ones that have unique appearances not resembling any vanilla Doom monsters, then it will be an immediate warning to the player about what they're going to face.
I like your idea of having only small cosmetic changes with Green & Blue then from Purple - red they slowly begin to change their appearance more and more; I was just trying to add as much variety as possible to spice things up more. As for the extra tiers like brown, fireblu etc I think having drastically different designs actually works quite well with them, and the mod is already sort of going in that direction. The optional tiers are separate from the mods basic tier line up and act more as unique encounters and extra challenges so having more variety with their designs seems fitting.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Don't some CH enemies already have existing sprites like the female zombies and cyber Pinkies?
I guess at least those get to be restricted to some enemies when new sprites come.
I think a possible issue can be the actual names of the spritesets.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

If you're wondering how to make Colorful Hell enemies Guncaster-compatible, take a peek in the code for Mikk's Champions mod.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I dont really know how to approach those suggestion posts at all.
I want to keep certain level of familiarity with most of the enemies and go more ham with the boss spawns and optionals.
I never intended this mod to be super serious so while some bosses can be terror introducing(like abyssal mastermind), or just kinda fitting but nothing special per say (normal black chaingunner), or they might be just silly(white cybie) or references to things(black demon/hellknight/revenant) or even bit on the memery side(white shotgunner/benellus )

I do some sprite changes here and there for some monsters looks, but as long as I can keep an idea working using the default sprites, then hey, as long as it works. I dont wish to get too cluttery afterall, this mod after all has big a emphasis on the recognizing enemies by their colour deal, too much eye candy and it can get tricky. There's already a bit of that issue with some of the abyssals not being outright obvious, but then again, thats why its an optional tier.

Also guncaster should have some sort of universal compat mod version of it already, vindicated or something called? I havent kept track on that.

Now to other news;

Brown Beta 4:
Download

Changelog
Spoiler:
The two biggest additions are the brown archvile and brown pain elemental, they are both rather experimental so do keep an eye on em.
There's also some changes to some of the other enemies too (see change log)
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta #4)

Post by fakemai »

Small conflict I noticed with DRLA + CH is broken sprites on the assault minigun (minigun + 3 Agility modpacks, or just summon rlassaultrifleminigun). If it's a DRLA problem I'll bring it up there but I'm not sure which is to blame. Other than that, MoC Overkill is a great way to get destroyed by boss monsters. With the sheer quantity of enemies it's almost guaranteed one summons, less if played with Lithium, but a real pain in DRLA.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Hege Cactus wrote:I dont really know how to approach those suggestion posts at all.
I want to keep certain level of familiarity with most of the enemies and go more ham with the boss spawns and optionals.
Keep doing whatever you want to. It's your mod after all.

Just want to say it's fun, and that's what keeps me coming back. Great work.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

fakemai wrote:Small conflict I noticed with DRLA + CH is broken sprites on the assault minigun (minigun + 3 Agility modpacks, or just summon rlassaultrifleminigun). If it's a DRLA problem I'll bring it up there but I'm not sure which is to blame. Other than that, MoC Overkill is a great way to get destroyed by boss monsters. With the sheer quantity of enemies it's almost guaranteed one summons, less if played with Lithium, but a real pain in DRLA.
Not sure if I can fix that but I can see to it, probably have missed that due of "who would ever make assault minigun" factor
Keep doing whatever you want to. It's your mod after all.

Just want to say it's fun, and that's what keeps me coming back. Great work.
Glad to hear it!

And now its time for brown beta 5

Download

This time around, we have lot of revenant related stuff, such as buffed gray revenant ranged move and fireblu revenant rehaul
And ofcourse, brown revenant and brown baron jump in the tray

go nuts
Spoiler:
Droober

Post by Droober »

- changed fireblu revenant
Love the update! However, the fireblu revenant has become too over powered. His AoE plasma attack is near impossible to dodge, especially in smaller corridors.

I cannot fathom what i'll do if i'm thrown into a slaughter esque map and having to deal with more then 1 of these guys, the amount of propagation & damage these guys generate will turn the whole situation into work then fun.

Suggestion: Maybe leave the dual plasma shots the rev shoots from his cannons and remove the AoE plasma burst, then replace the plasma with the classic AoE fire burst?

Edit: I primarily mix Colorful Hell with DoomRLA
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Droober wrote:
- changed fireblu revenant
Love the update! However, the fireblu revenant has become too over powered. His AoE plasma attack is near impossible to dodge, especially in smaller corridors.

I cannot fathom what i'll do if i'm thrown into a slaughter esque map and having to deal with more then 1 of these guys, the amount of propagation & damage these guys generate will turn the whole situation into work then fun.

Suggestion: Maybe leave the dual plasma shots the rev shoots from his cannons and remove the AoE plasma burst, then replace the plasma with the classic AoE fire burst?

Edit: I primarily mix Colorful Hell with DoomRLA

yeah, it appears fireblu revenant and the brown baron ended up being more OP than intended
In the testing they didnt appear as OP so I made a oopsie

I might make a mid way patch to fix them but I dont like to make those unless there's a major bug so I might just hasten the next test patch.

Tho if there any other balance issues with other enemies outside these two, let me know, I could make a general balance patch instead.
XASSASSINX

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97ccc (+brown Beta #5)

Post by XASSASSINX »

Hello! I have two questions about this mod: Apparently Brown Tiers are "monster support tier", Correct? but what do they support exactly? From what i've played with them, they don't seem to have any support with other monsters, hell, they kill allies more then they help. Am i missing something?

Second topic, is there any way to play this with the "Colorfull Arsenal" addon? I might be wrong, but i remember a version of that mod with "Weapons Only", Yet i can't seem to find it anymore. That mode is considerable old for this version of Colorfull Hell. Everytime i try to run Colorfull Arsenal with ColorfullHellBrown, i get this error:

Code: Select all

Script error, "ColourfulHellBrownBeta5.pk3:cvarinfo" line 1:
cvar 'CH_spawnmultiplier' already exists
Any help??
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Is this Brown Monster called "Sand"?
KyleDartist

Post by KyleDartist »

I know this might be a bit of a necropost, but is there an updated version of this anywhere? Love it as it sits but kinda wondering if someone made a spiritual successor.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”