Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.942b Abyssal fill up

Post by Brohnesorge »

PFL wrote:The mod keeps on getting better; great work. I just want to share my feelings about the updated Black Revenant; unbeatable. There is now a third party showing at the same time with the second and I had no choice left but to cheat. I was having a good time with them before but now it's ridiculous. I kept receiving a LOAD of blue flying demons while I was trying to avoid the other one and got beaten to death in a second. This is even more unfair than Benelus is. I will play my older versions since this is not playable for me. I'll see how it turns out in further releases.
That sounds like a map issue, not a Colorful Hell issue. Black Revenant is largely the same unless you have EX monsters turned on. Which you can turn off.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Would it be possible to tone down the abyss monster spawns? also I feel having abyss monsters having a spawn to spawn from near by enemy corpses (thats what I noticed when I tried to stream anyway) is really obnoxious. I ended up having to turn off those spawns unfortunately. they are a neat idea but right now its just too chaotic to have em enabled xD
PFL

Post by PFL »

May I have noticed that when this message occurs: "A chill runs down your spine" then you have a stronger version of that enemy ? Is that it ? That's the only explanation I can come up with for my ultra powered Black Revenant, encountered only once with the same settings or so since I use this mod (version 666). If so, I wonder what could be more with Benelus ...
a.dusty.taco

Post by a.dusty.taco »

PFL wrote:May I have noticed that when this message occurs: "A chill runs down your spine" then you have a stronger version of that enemy ? Is that it ? That's the only explanation I can come up with for my ultra powered Black Revenant, encountered only once with the same settings or so since I use this mod (version 666). If so, I wonder what could be more with Benelus ...
"A chill runs down your spine" is a EX boss. Just a stronger version of bosses, Yes. Also, The white shotgunner, Benellus... He sucks. He just out right sucks. I believe he summons like, Shotgun totems. Even more unbalanced than ever.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Setting the "Health & Armour Bonuses" setting to "Scarce" seems to spawn no bundles at all. I don't think it's just because I'm getting unlucky drops; I've tried using "summon HealthBundle" in the console and every time there's nothing. The other settings seem to work as intended.

EDIT: On a different note, itsmedoggo's customisation addon is great. While it can be used to change the difficulty of the game...
Spoiler:
zitro1987

Post by zitro1987 »

I really love this mod. There are a few annoyances, but it plays really well with the traditional weapon system from weapon mod 'final doomer' (as it improves chaingun and combat shotgun) or even the arsenal mod where its overpowered weapons get balanced out somewhat against such high HP monsters.

I do have a few suggestions:

*I tried a mini-mod that allows you to customize chances of different colors. However it only works if playing 'ultra-violence' which is often too difficult with the mod.
*An option to set default HP modifier could be nice. If playing with traditional weapons (or final doomer), the monsters can sometimes be unusually sturdy which can complicate certain battles. I do think with traditional weapons, it would be beneficial if all HP is reduced by about 20% to attempt more wads in ultra-violence.

Now on monsters:

*I cannot play with the black and white bosses, but I can handle abyssal. The black and white bosses are simply too overpowered to have them spawn at a random location by chance. When it is close quarters, they are kind of impossible.
*I like that we have a very distinct female zombie for orange and they seem well designed and balanced.
*I think the red shotgunner is not that dangerous compared to the red zombieman or the orange shotgunner. While the former has the capacity of dealing much more damage in one shot, the others tends to be harder to avoid damagey.
*I think the chaingunners can be a bit too punishing. They weren't that easy to begin with, but the green one appears to damage you twice as much from moderate distances (higher accuracy?) and some of the more advanced ones, especially red, can be too much of snipers. While the damage boost is expected, the accuracy bonuses puts you at an unfair disadvantage as doom doesn't really have any sniping weapons, so having chaingunner accuracy depend on distance evens out the playing field.
*Imps are great. I particularly love the attack from the blue ones. I'm not a huge fan of bouncy balls (purple) which appears to be a common theme in purple. It strikes me as odd in Doom and can make dodging ridiculously difficult. I would prefer purpose just throws a very fast projectile instead. I also think the grey ones show up too often.
*Demons are great, with charging attacks when more advanced. Love them just the way they are.
*Lost souls are great. I do think the orange ones are a bit much with giving you 3 lost souls when they die, but not a major issue. My biggest issue is the wasp nest - the wasps are too numerous and damaging - I thought the intention was minor annoying damage, not life danger.

*Cacodemons are great (especially the blue and red ones) though I don't understand what the orange one attacks you with - I never received damage from them

*Hell demons, Arachnotrons, and barons of hells are very fun to fight against, all kinds, and appear quite well balanced. Mancubus as well, though the purple bouncy attacks are a bit overpowered.

*Revenants, even the common ones, now shoot 2 missiles at a time. I didn't think this creature required more attack power, especially given how difficult is to dodge these. The more advanced versions don't deal much more damage, so it's more of a concern about the common revenant.

*I'm not too familiar with the advanced arch-viles, cyberdemons, and spider masterminds. The green cyberdemon does appear too much more powerful than the regular counterpart, but I remember fighting a purple spider and it was beatable.

Barons of Hell: Please make bigger than hell knights to differentiate them against hell knights. They look identical when in green or blue or I think purple too.
Last edited by zitro1987 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

An option to set default HP modifier could be nice.
Custom Doom has you covered. viewtopic.php?t=51446
PFL

Post by PFL »

Big problems on big maps ...

1- The black archvile's grey floor wave slow attack gets everywhere and circles around until there's a lag so intense youu'll have to idclip/reset yourself out of the map or to an earlier saved point.

2- The grey pain elemental's nests are all over the place and they move way up in the sky until you can't or don't see them to shoot them, that's, when they don't move to make it more impossible. I had hundreds of wasps flying at me at some point making this pain elemental one of the toughest enemy around.

3- The abyssal archvile EDIT:BARON(?) (the one with the wings) was multiplying itself to the point that they were over a thousand. In five minutes. My level was over. The strongest enemy in the game with that kind of behaviour.

All of these events were encountered only once on big maps from the same wad. If there's a limit that might define their generosity, it'll be useful.

Other than that, I wait for the next few whites ... - Great job
Last edited by PFL on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

I really have to try this out some time again. It's been ages since I did anything with this mod, even stopped with this test map I kept working on. After watching some Doom videos on youtube, I had this idea of adding colored weapons in this mod, but I guess that would be a bit too much and people use other weapon mods anyways. Still would be interesting to see like black or white version of the SSG for example, that really just do more damage, shoot faster etc. and nothing too special. But yeah, I bet there's already enough to do anyways.
zitro1987

Post by zitro1987 »

I get the impression the drops for more advanced colors can be excessive to the point of helping the player:
*Ammo drops of rockets and cells are plentiful, which can hurt balance of wads that intend limited plasma usage
*Drops of soulspheres and blue armor should be extremely rare or limited to a small percentage of red enemies (and abyssal).
*Drops of green armor and berserk are way too common from enemies that have relatively low hp. I would imagine these are best meant for orange/red barons of hells, archville, etc.

Another option is to add an option in-game relating to 'overall' drops, not just bundles.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

1- The black archvile's grey floor wave slow attack gets everywhere and circles around until there's a lag so intense youu'll have to idclip/reset yourself out of the map or to an earlier saved point.
Yeah that problem is annoying, Ive been trying to get it fixed but something there just kicks back, I might eventually give it a timer if all else fails, still have few ideas to try tho
3- The abyssal archvile EDIT:BARON(?) (the one with the wings) was multiplying itself to the point that they were over a thousand. In five minutes. My level was over. The strongest enemy in the game with that kind of behaviour.
Huh? It shouldn't be able to multiple itself, it can revive other monsters tho, gonna need more info on this
I get the impression the drops for more advanced colors can be excessive to the point of helping the player:
*Ammo drops of rockets and cells are plentiful, which can hurt balance of wads that intend limited plasma usage
*Drops of soulspheres and blue armor should be extremely rare or limited to a small percentage of red enemies (and abyssal).
*Drops of green armor and berserk are way too common from enemies that have relatively low hp. I would imagine these are best meant for orange/red barons of hells, archville, etc.

Another option is to add an option in-game relating to 'overall' drops, not just bundles.
I do plan to rehaul the drops eventually, specially the berserker packs since they are still surprisingly common even tho they've been nerfed twice

Time for a release

Colourful Hell 0.95
Download

Big changes:

Chaingunner rehaul
Damage fall off; More firemodes for distances
Greater distance means less damage in this matter
But lower distance can be devastating

White cyberdemon added
Have fun

Changelog:
Spoiler:
dljosef

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.95 tweak tweak

Post by dljosef »

That white cyberdemon... I gotta say that announcement quote of his is pretty apt.

Now I'm waiting for the rest of the white enemies. (especially the white baron and the white spider mastermind)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

hot diggity a new version~
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

White Cybie?

Yes, thank you.
PFL