MiniSphere Addon v1.1.1 (Mar2015) - Invisibility Replacement

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MiniSphere Addon v1.0.0 - Invisibility Replacement

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Thanks!
If you think that anti-aliasing won't help much, then I'll use your current sprites (they look pretty good already) and release version 1.1.0 :)
I've just sent to you a small updated file. I think you are free to release it then. :mrgreen:
Well, that would make the invisibility useless altogether. As I explained under Detailed design choices:
Coincident wrote:I wanted a simple and balanced alternative to reach the intended goal of the invisibility sphere: help survive an upcoming battle.
Health + Armor is the simplest way I found for that purpose.
IMOH invisibility was intended for SNEAKING UNDISTURBED through upcoming battles and not only for survive.
I'll give you an example; imagine that you're fighting on a place filled with lava/nukage and the only exit way is through a dark alcove guarded by a bunch of mancubus: you're panicking and mancubi fires repeatedly to you because THEY'VE SEEN YOU, and if you take 40+40 you could survive (maybe) 2/3 shoots of them. BTW I really like your idea with this special pickup, also you may consider another variant: a portable minisphere with INVISIBILITY ACTIVATED plus 40+40 CHOOSEABLE AID from inventory
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Sounds complicated. Which would be what this mod is trying to avoid.

I really think the invisibility sphere became useless when keyboard + mouse became the standard way to play Doom after the source release. Inputs stopped being a limiting factor at that point, and with the increase in mobility and precision the invisibility sphere started to become more of a nuisance than a help.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

GooberMan wrote:I really think the invisibility sphere became useless when keyboard + mouse became the standard way to play Doom after the source release
This is why I'm trying to give to Invisibility some hopes (and I think Coincident also): if somebody could be able to tweak Minisphere with -SEEINVISIBLE through some specifically inherited ACS among all (for example) Doom monsters, keys+mouse could be IMPROVED with such powerups, expecially on SLAUGHTERMAPS. I'm no fool, I know strafing is better than any bonuses, I play Doom and all their derivatives since 1996, it's just entertaining people with some more innovative powerups ideas.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The Invisibility Sphere is still useful against hitscaners. You can be as mobile and agile as you can be. You can't dodge hitscan attacks.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Blue Shadow wrote:The Invisibility Sphere is still useful against hitscaners. You can be as mobile and agile as you can be. You can't dodge hitscan attacks.
Oh yes, hELL I'm definitely together with this man.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

I totally agree with GooberMan and Blue Shadow.

But hit-scan enemies asside, there's only one scenario where the invisibility would make sense: with very smart enemy AI.
Maybe if enemy projectiles had a wide angle of attack at all times, or the enemy fired projectiles based on your movement, and not just your position (would kill any circle-strafer).
Maybe then an invisibility that made the enemy miss more would make sense.

But I don't know of any mod that has that smart enemies...
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ozymandias81 wrote:
Thanks!
If you think that anti-aliasing won't help much, then I'll use your current sprites (they look pretty good already) and release version 1.1.0 :)

I've just sent to you a small updated file. I think you are free to release it then. :mrgreen:
Now I've REALLY sent my small update to you. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Coincident

Re: MiniSphere Addon v1.1.0 (Feb2015) - Invisibility Replace

Post by Coincident »

Just released v1.1.0. First post updated.

Changes:
New Sprites by Ozymandias81: a blue & green rotating sphere steroids-style powerup
Supported dropping a MiniSphere (half the health+armor, and does not countitem)
Added support for GORE mod.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I still think the sprite is out of keeping with the other Doom powerups. Basically, it's too good. :P It's far more complicated and technical looking than anything else yet it's really only a minor powerup.

Also, wouldn't it be better if the central sphere stayed in the same place? The way it is right now looks like it is jiggling around due to bad alignment.

Another suggestion, I think a "lighter" pickup sound would be appropriate too. For it to have the same beefy "GONGGGGGG" of the major powerups seems wrong to me.

All that being said, it's a nice little mod and a nice useful mid-range powerup.
Ozymandias81

MiniSphere AddOn v1.1.0 r0215 - SoulSphere Replacement

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Coincident wrote:Just released v1.1.0. First post updated.

Changes:
New Sprites by Ozymandias81: a blue & green rotating sphere steroids-style powerup
Supported dropping a MiniSphere (half the health+armor, and does not countitem)
Added support for GORE mod.
Hey Coincident, why don't you add these title to the subject instead of "...(Feb2015)..."?

MiniSphere AddOn v1.1.0 r0215 - SoulSphere Replacement
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Enjay wrote:I still think the sprite is out of keeping with the other Doom powerups. Basically, it's too good. :P It's far more complicated and technical looking than anything else yet it's really only a minor powerup.

Also, wouldn't it be better if the central sphere stayed in the same place? The way it is right now looks like it is jiggling around due to bad alignment.

Another suggestion, I think a "lighter" pickup sound would be appropriate too. For it to have the same beefy "GONGGGGGG" of the major powerups seems wrong to me.

All that being said, it's a nice little mod and a nice useful mid-range powerup.
I've just ripped all these sprites from some Flash exercises, then crop'd, then remap'd, then reshap'd, then antialias'd and then 'd... Oh yes, there were 70 of them anyway... :bang: So I think alignment must be fixed, but this couldn't be done at the moment.
Spoiler:
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

I'm short on space for the title. :shock: But I think Feb2015 is more clear (letters + numbers separate month + year better).
Enjay wrote:I still think the sprite is out of keeping with the other Doom powerups. Basically, it's too good. :P It's far more complicated and technical looking than anything else yet it's really only a minor powerup.
I understand. I thought the small size would compensate for that.
Still, thank you for the feedback.
Enjay wrote:Also, wouldn't it be better if the central sphere stayed in the same place? The way it is right now looks like it is jiggling around due to bad alignment.
Yeah, I also noticed that: the central globe shakes just a little bit. I think the sprites need to have the X offset stabilized.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ozymandias81 wrote:I've just ripped all these sprites from some Flash exercises, then crop'd, then remap'd, then reshap'd, then antialias'd and then 'd... Oh yes, there were 70 of them anyway... :bang:
Heh, I guess that undelines my point. 70 sprite frames in a minor pickup versus 4 in the full-blown megasphere (and other original powerups). ;)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^12354654876543215465132E!
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

I confess that I've been play-testing this with Smooth Doom, where the megasphere has 12 frames, and looks, well, smooth. Maybe that's why it doesn't shock me.
Do you think that limiting the frames on the miniSphere to "emulate" and old-school look would help?

I could find a way to make Smooth vs OldSchool versions of decorate, and only make the miniSphere smooth when SmoothDoom is loaded (or other mods that would look equaly good).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”