[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Frozenwolf150

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4, Welcome to Explodistan

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I've noticed that both Trailblazer and Guncaster are actually far better balanced when playing with Hexen than with Doom. In Doom you just get way too much ammo, but in Hexen due to the mana system, you're forced to conserve. Regardless, I've been testing Trailblazer with Hexen and I found a couple of minor glitches.

* The HUD does not show your keys anywhere. This is not game-breaking, as I can simply enable Alternate HUD and hit = to see my keys, then - to switch back.
* Upon loading any save or loading any map, I get the error:

Code: Select all

unknown item class clip_junkspawner to drop from a random spawner
However, this doesn't seem to affect anything, as I still get the junk spawns. If I'm missing a feature due to this error, I'm not sure what it is.
* When you get a Berserk powerup, it takes effect immediately. However, when you transition to another map, you lose the effect. I can't tell if this was intentional or not.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

clip_junkspawner is for the clips in doom/doom2.

Losing Berserk on map switch is entirely intentional, as that's pretty much standard for Doom.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

As for Hexen, you will need to memorize what keys you have and don't have. Guncaster takes the liberty of displaying the keys you pick up in Hexen (with a keybind, though). Trailblazer has yet to implement this, as far as I remember (though it'd be nice if it had a similar function). It's no glitch, it's just not implemented yet...

Hold on... are you losing berserk when you transition to a map within the same hub?
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

DoomKrakken wrote:As for Hexen, you will need to memorize what keys you have and don't have. Guncaster takes the liberty of displaying the keys you pick up in Hexen (with a keybind, though). Trailblazer has yet to implement this, as far as I remember (though it'd be nice if it had a similar function). It's no glitch, it's just not implemented yet...

Hold on... are you losing berserk when you transition to a map within the same hub?
Yes, I meant to clarify that. I'm playing a custom mapset that replaces a single hub, and the map transitions are within the same hub.

Another Hexen glitch I forgot to mention. When standing on a floor that's supposed to drop away, either into a lava pit or a pitfall, you start taking damage the moment the floor starts shaking as if you were already standing in the lava. One example of a map where this happens is Guardian of Fire. You will even take damage if you're standing on the edge, or on the safe platforms that are supposed to remain after the rest of the floor sinks.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

For the Berserk Powerup, that can simply be fixed by adding "Inventory.InterHubAmount 1" and the INVENTORY.HUBPOWER flag to the properties section of the Berserk powerup bringer.

The second thing sounds more like a glitch concerning Hexen, rather than Trailblazer... (shrug)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Fun fact: this Berserk handling in Hexen is actually fairly balanced, too. Consider NecroDoom, in which most powerups are carried items that can stack to a max of two, each - and they have INVENTORY.HUBPOWER set on them. Carry a rage battery or two into a new hub, use one, become extremely punchy - the gauntlet upgrade doesn't help matters either :)

Source: Necrodoom broke in my Hexen virginity.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It may be more balanced, yes... but then it lessens the intended purpose of the berserk pack. Coding-wise, all maps are separate... but gameplay-wise, these maps are all part of one super large level.
bruce3rd

Post by bruce3rd »

pretty amazing mod
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

comet1337 wrote:i wonder when will amv2k9 give us the dual machetes he showed ages ago
Never. I was just messing around with things, and it's really glitchy and doesn't look that great in action.
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

Strange that many weapons not auto reload now when the mag is empty. Could you please make it the way it was before? Kinda lazy to press R ....
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

sycspysycspy wrote:Strange that many weapons not auto reload now when the mag is empty. Could you please make it the way it was before? Kinda lazy to press R ....
Right here!
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Hey, I see that you implemented the railgun&shotgun combo (that I proposed a good while ago) in the form of Nut Force One! Thanks, PB! :thumb:
Could it be possible to make its sub-projectiles also fire upwards and downwards from the main shell (not only horizontally, as it is now)? Would make NTF more useful against airborne targets, particulary Lost Souls.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

shotfan wrote:Hey, I see that you implemented the railgun&shotgun combo (that I proposed a good while ago) in the form of Nut Force One! Thanks, PB! :thumb:
Could it be possible to make its sub-projectiles also fire upwards and downwards from the main shell (not only horizontally, as it is now)? Would make NTF more useful against airborne targets, particulary Lost Souls.
Using that gun against lost souls sounds like a ridiculous waste, and it's powerful enough as it is in current setup already. If you wanna disperse a horde of those, you've got spike bombs and other explosives for that.
Frozenwolf150 wrote:I've noticed that both Trailblazer and Guncaster are actually far better balanced when playing with Hexen than with Doom. In Doom you just get way too much ammo, but in Hexen due to the mana system, you're forced to conserve. Regardless, I've been testing Trailblazer with Hexen and I found a couple of minor glitches.

* The HUD does not show your keys anywhere. This is not game-breaking, as I can simply enable Alternate HUD and hit = to see my keys, then - to switch back.
* Upon loading any save or loading any map, I get the error:

Code: Select all

unknown item class clip_junkspawner to drop from a random spawner
However, this doesn't seem to affect anything, as I still get the junk spawns. If I'm missing a feature due to this error, I'm not sure what it is.
* When you get a Berserk powerup, it takes effect immediately. However, when you transition to another map, you lose the effect. I can't tell if this was intentional or not.
-Actually, I did implement that already. Partially. Obviously same thing as in GC, the key list. I just didn't save a particular tweak and menudef bit, probably thanks to spontaneous bluescreen and didn't check thoroughly if I re-added everything.
-That's definitely a bug. I was messing around with an idea and I guess it was the same ordeal of not being reverted after aforementioned bluescreen.
-Dat's intentional.
amv2k9 wrote:
comet1337 wrote:i wonder when will amv2k9 give us the dual machetes he showed ages ago
Never. I was just messing around with things, and it's really glitchy and doesn't look that great in action.
Now you know why I resigned from that idea, heh.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

PillowBlaster wrote:
shotfan wrote:Hey, I see that you implemented the railgun&shotgun combo (that I proposed a good while ago) in the form of Nut Force One! Thanks, PB! :thumb:
Using that gun against lost souls sounds like a ridiculous waste, and it's powerful enough as it is in current setup already. If you wanna disperse a horde of those, you've got spike bombs and other explosives for that.
Nothing is ridiculous when you have as much ammo as me :lol: I tested the new version with Oblige on standard ammo supply setting, and few maps in had enough ammo to arm whole Marine Corps (sans Spikebombs - I have now around 30 of them, wheres Nutcracker slugs number over 80). So blasting lone Lost Souls with a Nutcracker makes no difference to me, as I will snatch around ten slugs for it every level (and there is Unlimited Ammo powerup...). But as you said, the Nut Force One (or NFO; I messed up the acronym the previous time :oops: ) is powerful enough, but making it fire off extra shots in vertical dimension would make it feel more natural... but I agree that this addition is completely unnecessary for gameplay, so nevermind.

But maybe a little change for difficulty settings? Does Edgelord affect ammo counts? I would welcome a difficulty that cuts down ammo by 75%, without changing other things on Total Badass too much.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Making custom difficulties is one of the easiest things you can do. Just add AmmoFactor = 0.75 to the difficulty you like playing or make your own. You'll find them in (Z)MAPINFO (incase you didn't know). http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Skill_definition

Return to “Gameplay Mods”