[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jeimuzu73

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4a, Why can't this be love

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

JSYK, I'm writing a TVTropes page for this mod (and RO and GC later on): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... railblazer

Hope you don't mind. :P
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:JSYK, I'm writing a TVTropes page for this mod (and RO and GC later on): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... railblazer

YES.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS.

TVTropes really needs more pages for (GZ)Doom mods.

Edit:
Just a tip, remove your session ids from any links you post anywhere:

Code: Select all

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47494&sid=**********
"&sid=**********" is your session ID. Someone with this can possibly enter into your account. Depends on how secure the site is, I think, but NEVER COUNT ON THAT. (I replaced the actual session ID here with a bunch of '*'s, for obvious reasons. An actual session ID is usually made up of a bunch of letters and numbers.)
SNobleJr

Post by SNobleJr »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:JSYK, I'm writing a TVTropes page for this mod (and RO and GC later on): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... railblazer

I did a bit of cleanup on the TV Tropes page, but good on you for taking the initiative to create it in the first place.

Also, now that I've popped in anyway: great job with the mod, Pillow. It's become one of my go-to gameplay mods as of late, particularly when combined with Colorful Hell. It's tremendous fun.

There's one idea I have based on some of my playthroughs: have you considered reworking the weapon-specific blueprints as second-stage tinker upgrades? The blueprint spawner drop table seems a bit diluted, and it can kind of leave the player at the mercy of the random number generator when it comes to getting specific upgrades. As an example, on my Resurgence playthrough, I didn't find a Skullthrottle Instaspin blueprint until the second-to-last map, and that WAD is not even all that stingy with backpacks. This change could give the player a bit more control over which upgrades they want to invest in, and leave a smaller, more predictable drop pool on backpacks for the more general upgrades.
PillowBlaster

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4b, Only fools rush in

Post by PillowBlaster »

SNobleJr wrote:There's one idea I have based on some of my playthroughs: have you considered reworking the weapon-specific blueprints as second-stage tinker upgrades? The blueprint spawner drop table seems a bit diluted, and it can kind of leave the player at the mercy of the random number generator when it comes to getting specific upgrades. As an example, on my Resurgence playthrough, I didn't find a Skullthrottle Instaspin blueprint until the second-to-last map, and that WAD is not even all that stingy with backpacks. This change could give the player a bit more control over which upgrades they want to invest in, and leave a smaller, more predictable drop pool on backpacks for the more general upgrades.
The idea for that is to get some extra replayability value by adding some stuff you may or may not get through the run. Some of them make a huge difference, some feel like a complete utility, and that's alright. It makes them far more valuable this way once you find them. Fun fact is that everything supposed to be crammed into blueprints, but as you noticed - it makes things a bit too reliant on the RNG, hence why I invented Tinker. For now, I think I am happy with having one upgrade per weapon, and some extras, if you're lucky. Plus, the player is crazily powerful enough already, haha.

Also, I know this makes it that you may or may not find a one you want, or just keep hitting dupes, but there's no good handling for inventory progression I am aware of. Not a one that would work for people in multi as well.

That being said, bit of a bugfix thing.
Spoiler: Changelog
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

*Trailblazer update*

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY-

*Bugfixes*

...oh.

Dammit, I thought it would be some kind of sub-update given the new title.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

so the update title was spot on then
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

So that's why the update title is thiis. Welp I guess I just wait for new content for this mod and hope it'll be done soon...
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Pillow just had to get our hopes up by updating Russian Overkill first.
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

DoomKrakken wrote:The Chrome Justice's shell ammo (not magazine capacity) also gets an ammo boost with the backpacks. Your "Dem Shells" capacity is always equivalent to 1/3 of the capacity for your standard shells.

And no, weapons do not get extra magazine capacity from picking up backpacks. Ammo capacity increases, but not magazine capacity.
Seems mine stuck at 80 until I upgrade it.
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

When are we going to have some beautiful light with the weapons?
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Aw cmon, Pillow already has a habit of putting shittons of particles into his mods. I don't need any more pressure on my potato pc.
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

TootsyBowl wrote:Aw cmon, Pillow already has a habit of putting shittons of particles into his mods. I don't need any more pressure on my potato pc.
we can have it the same way as light.pk3, it's toally optional. or have a parameter to enable or disable the lights.
Shadez12

Post by Shadez12 »

TootsyBowl wrote:Dammit, I thought it would be some kind of sub-update given the new title.
I guess...
Spoiler:
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I expected that, and don't like being taken for granted. I am kinda out of doable ideas what to do anymore with this mod, and feature-wise, it's as complete as I could get it to be without DoomNukem's assistance. I even pushed it over the limit with the blueprint stuff. If someone will want to push it even further with some addons, be my guest. Otherwise, I think I'm done here. I'll warn anyone brave enough to venture into that territory though to not end up with a colossus on clay legs. Feature overdose without much of direction is as bad as lacking in content.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Honestly, I think this mod is pretty solid where it's at. It kinda feels "just right." It very much feels like all the parts of it 'fit' together. Like, if you played it on an unfamiliar map pack, with unfamiliar monster skins, you'd kinda feel like it was just a never-released game from the past. It "works."

Sometimes there's just a "final" version of things, and this really feels like a good place to be final (barring unforseen major bugs, etc, of course). If someone were to make an "add-on" I'd think it'd be more suitable to take the 'idea' (80's style action-star, plus junk/blueprint mechanics) and create a second character that's another 80's action archetype, or create a monster-pack of some sort to pair with it. Both of those might be a good way to avoid "Feature Overdose" pitfalls, as well as leaving what is a really rock-solid mod as the core still.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”