[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PillowBlaster

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer

Post by PillowBlaster »

FreddBoy wrote:Right, after playing this through a few WADs and having a blast, time for some serious feedback for this mod!
Glad you liked it! Let me see what you have here.
FreddBoy wrote:- However, you may want to decrease the size of the projectile of the bitchmaker, many times I've hit the corner of a wall while shooting through a not exactly small window, perhaps a 20-25% reduction would be ok.
Bitchmaker's projectiles supposed to be big, so you can easily hit with them over a distance, or with the alt-fire. Think of it as large fireball gun, rather than bullet weapon. heh.
FreddBoy wrote:- The patriarch is CRYING out for a LVG secondary attack, as bouncing grenades around corners or down pits would be a godsend on some maps.
That's pretty good idea that I have thought of myself.
FreddBoy wrote:- Maybe increase the magazine size of the sidekick to 20 rounds to help keep it viable until you get a FMG. As the leadspitter is horrible at range, the sidekick is useful for long shots to save ammo.
20 is too much... maybe I could expand it to 16, but it reloads so fast that clip size isn't that big of a fuss here.
FreddBoy wrote:- The nutcracker needs to have a LOT less recoil when firing, as you can't really tell you've hit with it. Maybe increasing the reload to compensate would keep it balanced, or add an ADS as an secondary attack option for more accuracy.
That's the point of the Nutter - you shoot it, consider yourself flying. The recoil has no influence on the accuracy. It should get easier to hit the things with it in the next version though, as I have had increased it's impact range.
FreddBoy wrote:- Maybe adding an item guide in game or on this mod page to explain the different sphere effects, especially the blur sphere replacement. I realised after I picked it up a few times what it did, but others might wonder what it does exactly.
There is. Everything is on the first page, hidden in spoiler, really. I'll see if I could include some info page on help screen.
FreddBoy wrote:- minor HUD issue, there is no icon (like the bottle of Piss) to show that you own a hazmat suit, just green numbers.
FreddBoy wrote:- like wise, there's no icon to show that you own a pair of NVG too. Yes I know the icons up the top right of the screen show you using them, but actually knowing you have them is nice too.
I wanted to keep it colour-coded, just to keep from cluttering up the viewspace.

NINJA EDIT: Oops, now I have read it correctly. The other two items already have the counters in, just... thought there's too much of them. I might still add the Pisskey counter, as sometimes it's good to know you still have backup healing while not having it selected.

I hope I'll be able to answer your concerns, Crudux Cruo - just want to give some lame excuses why the things are set up here as they are. :P
Crudux Cruo wrote:Well, ill keep this short since this is largely going to be watered down personal bias, keeping in mind this is meant to be bigger than life and over the top. i realize im sort of the black sheep here, since russian overkill is the inspiration here and seeing how i just couldn't stand its balls-to-the-wall power. this isn't my cup of tea but.. her goes.

In a nutshell, my biggest complaint isn't the fact the weapons are stronger, but rather than they vary wildly in power and balance to the point that if you just had one gun, the others wouldn't really matter as much. as it is now, if i had all the low level guns and got to choose one special weapon (minigun, rifle, grenade launcher, magnum), i really wouldn't need anything besides maybe the grenade launcher. Part of balance is that no weapon gets unused... but this isn't whats in here. I still play this and have fun, but i avoid using any of the large weapons because it just really becomes hugely unbalanced, more so than it is.
Let me straighten this up - RO isn't an inspiration here. It's overpowered, but not as balls-overpowered as overkill is. The damage scale indeed raises exponentially after reaching minigun and such, just so you could use it in mildly slaugterish levels without breaking a sweat. The other weapons are more scaled for standard doom, but still with a pinch of overpower, but they all serve some purpose. So yeah - you're using it right, but if you don't like that feel, I'm afraid I can't help here, just ignore the mod whatsoever, or edit it for your personal use.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Add +NOEXTREMEDEATH to bullet weapons, and perhaps to the machete as well.
I didn't see any bullet weapon gib anything yet, but fine, I'll add that. Albeit machete stays as it is, as it's pretty RIP'N'TEAR weapon.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Pistol is sorta wonky looking, the dual revolvers have been given short shrift. make the Bosavso the ammo free backup, and BEEF UP THE REVOLVERS! the way it is now the bosavso is the primary, and the pistols are no ammo backups, and as a result, suck. reverse it please.
Maybe, I don't see anything wrong with it, other than being tad boxy. The pistol serves as a standard peashooter - replace it once you get machinegun-shotgun, unless too far for shotgunning. The revolvers have infinite ammo and replace the chainsaw, that's why they have generally low damage output, but still serve as a pistol upgrade. (Chainsaws sometimes aren't that common, so you might not find them instantly.) Won't change.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Maybe reduce the clip size on the LMG a tad? 70 bullets makes it almost better to use than the uzis for most situations.
Uzis have still way higher dps, despite having small clips - they reload and unload fast, and have only ten bullets less than FMG. They serve as a close-combat alternative, considering that you can keep your target stunned, while with FMG - you are left vulnerable while reloading.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Bitchmaker and patriarch almost do the same thing, and there is so much ammo its impossible to run out. i end up just using the patriarch because its faster than the bitchmaker; the bitchmaker really doesn't do anything better than the patriarch except that it shoots in a straight line.
I have had occasionally run out of bitchmaker's ammo. While slower, it still murders single targets better than patriarch, as it has higher damage per shot. And yeah, without arcing and having way higher projectile velocity, it's better suited, for instance, sniping targets out of the air.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Minigun is way over the top in that it too never runs out of ammo. i'd suggest maybe making it spend 2 or 3 bullets at a time instead so its not so over the top.
The minigun is the staple of the mod, inspired by Serious Sam and the likes; it's supposed to be overpowered for the reason mentioned on the beginning.
Crudux Cruo wrote:the rifle is just balls. just remove it. it looks terrible, its overpowered, and the recoil is rediculous. it just takes away from everything else i feel.
No comment. Well, not really - I don't know what you feel, so I can't help on that. I won't remove it, that's for sure. The mod needs a BFG equivalent, and I don't have anything else to suit that need. (That bigass gun-thing few posts before doesn't count, it would make things only worse, and it's far from being finished, heh.)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I concede that the minigun is overpowered and very, very efficient for its ammo usage, though it's a bit slow for close range yet still very effective when shooting monsters in the face. Every other gun feels totally balanced. On a level above Doom's actual weapons, that is. :P

Additionally, I can't say I gib things often with bullets either.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I will agree with the point about the minigun, you have way, way too much ammo for it. 400-450 max might be better than 600.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The Chrome justice (the pump action shotty) feels way too weak for the amount of ammo it consumes. 24 shells for 8 rather pitiful shots ain't much. I've had better luck using the Fleshrends than that thing. (They burn through shells, but if you can manage alternating between the two you feel like one hell of a badass. Or just pressing both for a double whammy.) I do like the piercing nature of the normal fire for the Justice, but since it spreads out a little too much, it's just not that useful to merit using 3 shells for 1 shot.

Really the Fleshrends feel sooooo much more satisfying to use.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

The Chrome's been buffed, especially in a similar manner to the Nutcracker. It's best for large crowds, as always!
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Zhs2 wrote:The Chrome's been buffed, especially in a similar manner to the Nutcracker. It's best for large crowds, as always!
In 1.1 or in a soon-to-be-released version?

Cuz if it's 1.1 it still feels very meh.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Soon-to-be. Sorry for non-specificity.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Alright, so I had thought I had a large amount of ammo at the start of the game...

But it turns out I hadn't even nabbed a backpack. Good lord, is that much ammo actually necessary? 1200 bullets for the minigun seems extreme overkill, especially given its power. I mean, with all this ammo, there's not much point in switching weapons since you have so much magnum, patriot, and minigun ammo to literally waste everything. And you get so much back from ammo drops too.

Prior to getting the backpack, I had some fun actually micro-managing my ammo and swapping between weapons to deal with different threats, but if I'm gonna have this much ammo, half the guns in this set aren't actually necessary, since you'll almost never actually run out of ammo.

If I may, I'd suggest reducing the ammo for the minigun, magnum, patriot, and the FMG/Leadspitters. I've got an absurdly large amount of surplus, its ridiculous.

I still love the mod mind you, it's just the ammo situation seems a tad too much.

Edit: Fyi, not by a massive amount, just a little, like a 1/6 or so off of the max amount.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Cryomundus wrote:But it turns out I hadn't even nabbed a backpack. Good lord, is that much ammo actually necessary? 1200 bullets for the minigun seems extreme overkill, especially given its power.
well, sinze atm had over 1000 bullets for minigun also it wasted a lot of ammo after fired in a few sec, seems legit to me. unless trailblazer's one is far stronger than any of automatic guns like someone said before.

anyway i'd like to have some suggestions about this mod right now;

-first is macheterang, i have no problems with this one. but when i throw it, it ricochets with no sounds. well, postal 2's apocalypse weekend's boomerang machete did threw some sounds, though.

-and i hope rest of guns can have secondary abilities or attack, such as fleshrend's single barrel fire, 3 burst fire or akimbo system for leadspitter, make patriach shots multiple tiny-weaky rounds, or clusterbomb. and i cannot think of skullthrotte and t-rex rifle's one. because they're still op without any of secondary abilities. but it's just my wishes.

-patriach's first person weapon sprite's magazine size is pretty smaller than dropped empty one. and pickup sprite one is EVEN more bigger! but it's not a big deal, but it's pretty bugging me graphically.

-either fmg, it's ammo pickup sprite is bigger than thrown empty one.

-and the last thing is t-rex rifle, it's never spawns any single of casings. so what, is this thing can fire whole bullets including casing? or caseless?

aaand it's all done, anyway i'm pretty sure that ammo pickup sprites were intentional. because they need to be have bigger sights, to be detected easily and it helps you to refill your ammo. thanks for listened all of my whinings if those things were helped.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Cryomundus wrote:I will agree with the point about the minigun, you have way, way too much ammo for it. 400-450 max might be better than 600.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The Chrome justice (the pump action shotty) feels way too weak for the amount of ammo it consumes. 24 shells for 8 rather pitiful shots ain't much. I've had better luck using the Fleshrends than that thing. (They burn through shells, but if you can manage alternating between the two you feel like one hell of a badass. Or just pressing both for a double whammy.) I do like the piercing nature of the normal fire for the Justice, but since it spreads out a little too much, it's just not that useful to merit using 3 shells for 1 shot.

Really the Fleshrends feel sooooo much more satisfying to use.
Cryomundus wrote:Alright, so I had thought I had a large amount of ammo at the start of the game...

But it turns out I hadn't even nabbed a backpack. Good lord, is that much ammo actually necessary? 1200 bullets for the minigun seems extreme overkill, especially given its power. I mean, with all this ammo, there's not much point in switching weapons since you have so much magnum, patriot, and minigun ammo to literally waste everything. And you get so much back from ammo drops too.

Prior to getting the backpack, I had some fun actually micro-managing my ammo and swapping between weapons to deal with different threats, but if I'm gonna have this much ammo, half the guns in this set aren't actually necessary, since you'll almost never actually run out of ammo.

If I may, I'd suggest reducing the ammo for the minigun, magnum, patriot, and the FMG/Leadspitters. I've got an absurdly large amount of surplus, its ridiculous.

I still love the mod mind you, it's just the ammo situation seems a tad too much.

Edit: Fyi, not by a massive amount, just a little, like a 1/6 or so off of the max amount.
I won't decrease the ammo limits, especially for the minigun - if you enter crowd-mowing area, it really chews through your surplus real fast, especially on low health. The number only looks big, trust me.

Mhm, but still, so far the minigun has been criticized by quite a hunch, but that's still like only two people - not enough data to determine for me whether I should nerf it or not, as it's the biggest offender here. Gonna put up some poll...

The chrome will (hopefully) receive a considerable upgrade, if Dooms will ever return to modding, that is, because so far - he only rises my hopes up, just to make them fall and crash like a faulty VTOL aircraft.
Captain J wrote:anyway i'd like to have some suggestions about this mod right now;

-first is macheterang, i have no problems with this one. but when i throw it, it ricochets with no sounds. well, postal 2's apocalypse weekend's boomerang machete did threw some sounds, though.

-and i hope rest of guns can have secondary abilities or attack, such as fleshrend's single barrel fire, 3 burst fire or akimbo system for leadspitter, make patriach shots multiple tiny-weaky rounds, or clusterbomb. and i cannot think of skullthrotte and t-rex rifle's one. because they're still op without any of secondary abilities. but it's just my wishes.

-patriach's first person weapon sprite's magazine size is pretty smaller than dropped empty one. and pickup sprite one is EVEN more bigger! but it's not a big deal, but it's pretty bugging me graphically.

-either fmg, it's ammo pickup sprite is bigger than thrown empty one.

-and the last thing is t-rex rifle, it's never spawns any single of casings. so what, is this thing can fire whole bullets including casing? or caseless?

aaand it's all done, anyway i'm pretty sure that ammo pickup sprites were intentional. because they need to be have bigger sights, to be detected easily and it helps you to refill your ammo. thanks for listened all of my whinings if those things were helped.
-I thought that the ricocheting sounds would get pretty annoying fast. I didn't have any sensible noises for that, anyway.

-I don't think I can include any sensible alt-fire for dual-wielded weapons. Leadspitters are already dual-wielded. Patriarch will have most likely the bouncing grenade alt-fire. Nutter could have recoilless firing mode, and the minigun... I'll see about it. I have some idea, but as it's been mentioned - it's overpowered already.

-The clips were supposed to have realistic sizes, while pickups are oversized for the matter of being doom pickups. Yeah... Patriarch's clip is a bit small, but can't fix that.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

understood, and i'm wishing for doomnukem can fix that up. if that's possible. i could resize the clip, but original sprite is too damn blurry. i might screw it up more.

EDIT: Aaand i just voted for yee-i mean yiss, because it has extreme damages from each fired bullets. i just mowed the hell outta the band of pinkies at tricks and raps.
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I wouldn't say it's blurry. It's actually crisp as hell, it just has too much anti-aliasing left, as he wasn't that aware of how things tick in Doom, back then. And I'm afraid that even if he could fix it - I'd even go as far and say that I'd personally discourage him from doing that. Small fixes? Maybe, if it wouldn't make him consider remaking it entirely again. Also, poll is up. Just take into account the philosophy (lame excuse) I have pointed out, as some maps really make the difference, and I don't talk about stock ones. :P
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

doomnukem would feel like what you said, too bad it was too late. but still, i don't have any reasons to change my mind that skullthrotte is good to go. because like i said, each bullets from it deals heavy damages and makes major demons or horde of them are being fooled by only one weapon. and it has assloads of ammo, especially when you grabbed backpack. but hey, it's quite understandable since you made the goddamn enjoyable and overwhelming russian overkill. but still...meh, i would love nutcracker.

and question, how to i activate the akimbo mode for leadspitter? i pressed every keys and spawned another one but it still didn't worked. do i should get something special for it?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I have an idea for the final difficulty setting to make this MOD more challenging.

On the Nightmare setting, reduce the aggressiveness of the enemies, but make them a bit more aggressive than the UV setting (enough to where they aren't standing there and fire ball spamming all day when in sight). Give the monsters fast movement, and tone down the total player damage to 50%.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

I should probably clarify this, I have zero intention of fixing anything, touching up the animations or making any content additions or doing any sort of update, I'd almost say at this point I want nothing to do with it except playing it here and there. I wasn't keen on releasing this at all, I'd come quite further in spriting to the point where I wanted to redo most things from scratch, my old stuff looks like ass, might be just me but I can't appreciate it at all, I'm done with it.

it's great to see people disagree with me and i'm glad that people might find some use of what's in here, heck its awesome to see people enjoying the mod, but pillow is the real mvp, he did an amazing job of bringing this up to a releasable state and poured so much effort into it. however again, I have no interest in working on this, so keep in mind any balance changes and extras are all pillow's work.

I find Guncaster far more interesting at this point and I will need to get back to spriting soon, its difficult at best, aside from doing life I find spriting is now a rediculously tedious process that I simply don't enjoy at the moment.
it doesn't matter how many times I've changed the process, it's such a chore spending hours slaving over frames only to fuck up at some point and have to do it all over again, ain't nobody got time for that, on top of that it seems like a waste of time, nearly always the first question thrown in my direction is "does this work in brutal doom", "can you make this for brutal doom" but even more so, and ever more annoying "can I use deez guns in muh shitty generic realm667-weapon-mashup mod" and then they've done some awful recolour or fucked with the contrast.

don't get me wrong, i'm more than happy to see these resources put to use, there's definitely room for some super sweet frankensprites/hackjobs, I like lurking around to see what others come up with, but inevitably most of this will end up ripped and placed as is in some obnoxiously file-sized brutal doom variation without a credits.txt
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

and don't get me wrong either, even those sprites are maybe have some minor errors and not able to be refined, it's not even a big deal to me. or hell, everyone. because since your sprite works were useful, various and have an extreme measured style, it covers everything.

so we're appreciate you for made a lot of awesome sprite works from yours, truly. and you said the truth, i shall close my request.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”