[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer

Post by xenoxols »

No, I mean who made the Midi in the pk3?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Prepare for "hey, can I use these sprites in my project?" times infinity.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Slax wrote:Prepare for "hey, can I use these sprites in my project?" times infinity.
And - sad as it is - "I borrowed these sprites but didn't ask for permission" times twinfinity. These are really great resources, though, and I am very, very happy that this mod is finally available to the public. The Skullthrottle is, hands down, one of the most satisfying weapons I've seen in a Doom mod in a very long time. The sound of its barrels spinning up reminds me of an air-raid siren.

About my only real complaints are a couple of things that stood out to me...

The Sidekick pistol makes for a fairly nice starting weapon, but because it's fully automatic, I found it hard to fire it semi-automatically. I usually don't hold the Fire button down when using pistols, because I'm so used to one click for one shot. Because of this, the aim mode is difficult for me to use effectively.

Overall, the weapon animations seem a little on the stiff side. They are smooth, which is good, but some things look like they move in straight lines a lot (especially the FMG's reload sequence). A little bit of bobbing and weaving probably wouldn't hurt. The Uzis could probably lower about 10-20 pixels while reloading, too; the new magazines appear to be sucking themselves into the guns, which looks a little strange (unless that was actually your intent with that animation!).
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've just noticed every gun has NOAUTOAIM, and a number also have AMMO_OPTIONAL. How come?
headrebe;

Post by headrebe; »

Have a bit of an odd glitch, I can't seem to get the hud to appear to matter what options I flick on.

Updated to the latest version of GZdoom and still have the issue. Anyone know a way to fix this?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

[wiki=CVARs:Display#screenblocks]screenblocks[/wiki] 11. The status bar does not yet accommodate any other bars below fullscreen.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Not bad. Nothing revolutionary (except for that insanely awesome minigun-sprite), but definitly good.
Only complaint: The revolvers felt exactly like the RO-ones while shooting.
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

Well, i played it, and it was awesome, really awesome. You made a good job as always!!
All weapons are very good looking and feels nice to play with, but i have something to say about the minigun :c
When you shoot at enemies, the bullets seems to go through them without spilling blood, and it feels quite.. unsatisfactory.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I actually really like this mod, and the graphics by doomnukem are fresh. This is definitely a good start.

I suggest:

Rebalancing stuff. unless this is designed to be over the top powerful. you should consider retooling it entirely damage wise.
Seeing if doomnukem will take a second look at this. there are a few things which could benefit from a rework (uzi, knife), but everything could stand for more polish.
Also some features that have been coded seem to be missing, such as double uziz and double shotguns, and cigarrete butts. ill continue to play as my time has been very brief, but it seems these are impossible to acquire.

overall, i'd just say clean it up a bit and retool and you'll be fine; i really like this mod and i'll be keeping an eye out.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

The double uzis, shotguns, and the random cigarette butts work for me. At least, unless i'm playing Chex Quest apparently.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

After playing this on a few slaughtermaps and just some somewhat difficult mapsets like Speed of Doom I think it's great and I really like this mod.

I have a couple of questions though.
Is the pump shotgun supposed to feel kind of weak? Just doesn't seem to stand up to the dual shotguns even if I line up piercing shots. It has pretty good visual feedback but power-wise it feels a bit lackluster.
Is the T-Rex rifle's projectile supposed to kill enemies in such a narrow line? It kills enemies really well in a single line but it's so narrow that it feels like a railgun. Which is fine but this makes it pretty useless in slaughtermaps due to sheer enemy count.

Outside of these all the weapons feel really good and it's surprisingly balanced against large numbers of enemies.
Also I really like the Magnum, that's an amazing revolver.
Rayd3r

Post by Rayd3r »

This mod is AMAZING. I thank everyone involved with bringing this masterpiece into existence from the bottom of my heart, this is just some of the finest modding talent the community has to offer. It's spectacular; the weapons are exquisite, both in design and function. The lore, the setting, all the quality and style I would expect from PillowBlaster, and it's god damn awesome. And that PISS brand whiskey. One of the only things I find just a tad annoying though. I know the weapons are supposed to be over-the-top and powerful-as-motherfuck, but I kinda wish _EVERYTHING_ didn't go down that fast, if you catch my drift. And in case you didn't, no I am not implying this should be merged or patched with Brutal Doom in any way whatsoever, that would just ruin it the way I see it. What I am doing at this moment, for personal use, just because I like a hard challenge I am making a patch to be replace the monsters with those found in Deadalus' Complex Doom, a mod which I am profoundly fond of, which has also become my new standard for playing pretty much any mapset in co-op or survival; in both multiplayer and solo. Anyway, you guys have done an amazing job on this mod, and I as well as countless others are bound to have tonnes of fun and beyond with this. I look forward to future updates and projects from you and others. Keep up the good work!
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Dear Crudux Cruo: Pick up another of the respective weapon, perhaps then it will work. Of course, this might take a while in single player Heretic or Hexen. I have no idea what you mean about the cigarette butts. It's also funny you mention rebalancing because everything got nerfed to a level just above Doom weapons in superiority - the goal was an arsenal that doesn't force you to use certain weapons, though some weapons are definitely better in certain situations! Doom 1 monsters will never be able to stand up to you, though, as the balance is definitely centered around the Doom 2 experience.

This doesn't officially support Chex quest, by the way.

Estopolis: You're using the Nutcracker where the Chrome or Skullthrottle would be superior, unless you can get that lucky line of monsters! The Chrome's true purpose shines in a crowd, and the Skullthrottle will clean up a mob quick. Save NC for the biggest combos you can manage... Or sniping that Cyber/Spider through everything you can't kill.
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

I wonder how much work I'd have to do to do a patch to make this compatible with DoomRPG? (Sorry, I'm addicted! It's a hard habit to break!)

Loving the mod so far, PIllowBlaster!
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Well Zhs2 I have to say, the Chrome(Pump action shotgun right?) doesn't seem to deal with a crowd as well as the sawed offs.

I mostly use the T-Rex rifle to hit archviles but it feels pretty tough to hit these things due to how accurate it has to be.
The pump action shotgun and the T-Rex rifle just don't seem up to par as the other guns.
I'll have to test out the pump action shotgun more though. It really feels like I'm missing something.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”