[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sokoro

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4c, Slow yourself down

Post by Sokoro »

Nice mod with lot of effort put into it, having fun with it, but why is it so overpowered?
You can easily one-shot chaingunner with single sawed off shotgun in a big distance! that is just an example. Everything feels too strong and takes all challenge from normal megawads.

Is this supposed to be played with slaughter maps only?
I can understand why russian overkill is overpowered, it has "overkill" in name, and its gimmick is that the weapons are op, but why does Trailblazer and Guncaster share same fate?

The mod is superb filled with quality sprites, sounds, effects, coding etc., but balance is not there, it feels unfair to the monsters.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

Sokoro wrote:Nice mod with lot of effort put into it, having fun with it, but why is it so overpowered?
You can easily one-shot chaingunner with single sawed off shotgun in a big distance! that is just an example. Everything feels too strong and takes all challenge from normal megawads.

I can understand why russian overkill is overpowered, it has "overkill" in name, and its gimmick is that the weapons are op, but why does Trailblazer and Guncaster share same fate?

The mod is superb filled with quality sprites, sounds, effects, coding etc., but balance is not there, it feels unfair to the monsters.
I also felt, even compared to Guncaster or Russian Overkill, Trailblazer is overpowered. That's why I decided to play it on Edgelord difficulty and disabled some stuff from options. Also playing it with additional monster mods makes the gameplay more difficult.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Sokoro wrote:Nice mod with lot of effort put into it, having fun with it, but why is it so overpowered?

My modus operandi is making OP mods. I could've made them balanced, but it would be annoying and not something I want. If someone wants to make this stuff balanced, Dino already made his version of GC, so I can't say nay to someone doing the same treatment to TB, if they want to.

Plus, being "unfair" towards monsters sounds like a great idea, given how some mappers out there are really, really pushing it to the point of making it not fun for an average bloke like me on how bloody hard they made their stuff. Yes, I know there are lower difficulty levels, and I could "git gudder", but... I'd rather just mow through them like a freight train. In this case, 80's action hero of a freight train.
ANTARES74

Post by ANTARES74 »

PillowBlaster ,I sincerely thank you for the excellent things you do. And I fully support your modus operandi.) It has become too fashionable to mock a player in many ways and be too "fair" to hellish creatures! Well, for example, I want meat!))) Keep it up, you are on the right track, captain! Good luck in the development!
BradmanX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Yeah, as much as I like more balanced mods most of the time, sometimes it's nice to just annihilate the demonic hordes without having to put as much effort into it XP
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Besides, being so Omnipotent in Simulation is not a crime! :P
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Solaela »

Alptraum wrote:

I also felt, even compared to Guncaster or Russian Overkill, Trailblazer is overpowered. That's why I decided to play it on Edgelord difficulty and disabled some stuff from options. Also playing it with additional monster mods makes the gameplay more difficult.
What kinda monster mods would you suggest with this?
Alptraum

Post by Alptraum »

Colourful Hell (but with lesser item drops)
LegenDoom Lite
Doom RL Arsenal (Monsters only) (Haven't tried)
Hellspawn (Haven't tried it either)
BradmanX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by BradmanX »

Stylish Hell: A monster mod inspired by La Tailor Girl, has a good enemy variety when played with Doom, having enemies inspired by Heretic, Hexen, and Chex Quest as well as Doom. It is also compatible with those games.
Colorfull Hell (Haven't tried): Good enemy variety with different abilities, colors, and difficulties
Vanilla Doom Plus (Haven't tried): A monster mod with a variety of different enemies and the ability to fine tune the spawn rates of special variants of the different enemies
Champions: Randomly gives different traits to different enemies based on the parameters you set up in the menu.
Bratwurst (Haven't tried): Customizable Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny enemies, lots of tracer firing enemies with the default setup, but you can change the projectiles of alot of the enemies.
Alptraum

Post by Alptraum »

Dear Pillowblaster,

I was wondering, could you change settings to make weapon upgrades on-but blueprints off?
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Post by openroadracer »

Hello, I've got a couple of ideas on how to make the Macheterang even better than it is, but I don't know how likely they are to get in.

See, one of the things I noticed about the Macheterang was that it appears to have a knuckle duster on the handle. One of my ideas is to remove that feature from the base version of the weapon, but add it back with the Tinker's Toolbelt upgrade for it. This would come with a change to the quick melee when using the Macheterang, where using the "zoom" button melee with the stock version would do a bash attack with the handle of the weapon, almost like a pommel strike; while the upgraded version would use a quicker punch with the knuckle duster.

Second idea is to make it where, once you craft a second Macheterang using the Ammo Crafting Toolkit, you get a second Macheterang in your character's other hand. The controls for the weapon would now be:
  • Primary fire slashes with the blade in the left hand;
  • Secondary fire slashes with the blade in the right hand;
  • Reload throws the blades;
  • Zoom causes strikes using the handles of the blades, alternating between each hand.
Combining upgraded twin Macheterangs with a Berserk Pack would now cause extremely rapid explosions, especially with the Kinetic Fist upgrade.

What do you think?
erni945

Post by erni945 »

I have to report this bug because I noticed that it also appears on other maps, can it be fixed somehow?

https://i.imgur.com/767zO1c.png
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

You can turn off weather effects OR follow the instructions that were written on the previous page.
Spoiler:
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Post by openroadracer »

Actually, since it's been brought up again, I think I've seen something similar to Jezze's bug, but not with Eviternity: I've been seeing something similar with Random Deaths & Decorations. It seems like, just before an enemy shotgunner fires, I'll see a big floating shotgun, then he'll go back to normal for one frame to fire, then I'll see the floating shotgun again for a brief moment after he shoots.

And since I'm talking about Trailblazer having issues with other mods, can we talk about the issue with trying to run Trailblazer with Boom Power? Specifically, the fact that Trailblazer makes it impossible for Boom Power's death explosions to work, because TB with BP makes it where enemies simply spawn barrels on death? That's awfully disappointing, IMO. There's really nothing quite like playing a slaughter .WAD with Boom Power, especially if you can combine it with an overpowered weapon set like Trailblazer.
Burly Jim

Post by Burly Jim »

I've been playing this mod for something like a year, and I only just found out you can punch, thanks to a powerup blueprint...but I don't actually know *how*to punch. I can't seem to find it in the options-I'd figured it would have been near quick machete/quick spikebomb. Can anyone help?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”