[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4, Welcome to Explodistan

Post by Zhs2 »

BoneofMalkav wrote:
mutator wrote:How can I pick up powerups as item and not activate?
Hold the Activate/Open Door Button then run into the Powerup
but only after you've spent junk on the proper blueprint :wink:
mutator

Post by mutator »

yeah I found all the blueprints :) this mod is becoming even more fun than ever before I am really in love with it the ability to pick powerups as inventory item to use later on the map :P really great features.. there will always be need for the junk parts so mod won't be boring
rsl

Post by rsl »

Welcome to Explodistan
+10 for the new thread title.
Awesome! :mrgreen:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Greetings from Bombardia, and i say welcome back, RSL! Long time no see!
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

Minor thoughts/criticism/issue report dump:

I just beat the entirety of the Overkill version of Maps of Chaos with Colorful Hell and this new update (pretty damn fast, I know. I enjoy the enhanced movement a bit too much.), and it was a hell of a lot of fun. The new blueprints are great additions and really allow junk points to go a lot further than they could in the previous version, where the only use I found for them after getting all the upgrades was mass-crafting spike bombs. Being able to craft 500 points worth of armor on the fly is great, seeing as how the hard cap of 200 caused me some massive headaches in the past. Storing powerups and increasing their duration is also nice, seeing as how there are some moments when playing with Colorful Hell where you really need them (fighting the White Shotgunner in a confined space is one of them). The only issues I had with the blueprints is that some of them seem unusually rare. I saw plenty of duplicates for most blueprints, but for some reason I didn't see lucky strike until level 23, master exploder until level 25, and the strip loader blueprint just didn't spawn naturally at all. I doubt this is intentional, seeing as how you can't really get much use out of these three by this stage of the game. Having striploader not spawn sucked, seeing as how this was really the only thing holding me back from using Auto Justice over the fleshrend or leadspitters in most situations (on that note, I absolutely love the freedom missile spam, just makes these so much more satisfying). Also, you may want to move the flares blueprint to the normal backpack spawns in the future. The current logic makes a lot more sense, but a lot of map makers absolutely refuse to acknowledge the existence of the infrared goggles from my experience, so I fear this may end up making it unobtainable in most custom wads.

In terms of other issues, the only thing I'd really noticed is that there seems to be a hard cap on how much the backpacks can increase your overall capacity. This isn't really a huge deal, seeing as how it becomes pretty hard to run out of ammo by the time the ammo count caps, but I just found it to be a bit of a shame since Malcolm's potential to hold all the ammo in the Milky Way was one of those minor details I found a bit more amusing than I probably should.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Man, the blue prints are awesome! Unlike weapon upgrades, I don't have to think about what to spend my parts on, cause they are so important to achieving overkill amounts of easiness.

I dream one day that I can do the rest of a play through with just the fully upgraded BM with the blueprint upgrade and hammer space back packs. :wub:
shotfan

The Trailblazer - 1.4, Welcome to Explodistan

Post by shotfan »

A bit of feedback after completing 5 Oblige maps (around 200 enemies on average on each) with Colourful Hell on Total Badass difficuty (I only tried a few of the blueprints):
- Upgraded Fleshrends do not need to magically fire three shells worth of pellets at the cost of two, at all. You are drowning in Fleshrend shells unless you use them exclusively. I have around 400 at the time, even though I use FRs regularly. The walls are lined with these shells - not to mention that like every second slain enemy drops them. I could fill a backyard swimming pool with this amount of shot!
- FMG could consume two 9mm bullets per shot, considering it is somewhat more powerful per shot than Sidekick and Leadspitters.
- Auto Justice could make use of a slight magazine upgrade to 12 shells, IMO. 10 shells run out pretty fast, which may sometimes be a problem, considering that reload stay manual.
- Could upgraded Bitchmaker's round overpenetrate AND explode within every enemy they go through? Now that would be a fabulous Magnum! :twisted:
- Could upgraded Partiarch's shells become faster? It would make this grenade launcher more of an autocannon, that it already borders on.
- Nutcracker's update... two words: FREEDOM, MOTHERF***ERS! :instagib:
Spoiler:
(note to myself: I need to try this with some 80s'-esque music pack - maybe Hotline Miami soundtrack will work? :roll: )
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

There's a little issue with Edgelord difficulty: health and armor bonuses wont work. Otherwise it's perfect and is what I always wanted.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Get some classic rock n' roll! I have a whole playlist of rock (though not all roll) that I like to play whenever I run Trailblazer.

Not liking the idea of ripping magnum bullets, or with the FMG consuming twice the ammo (especially since the FMG doesn't do anywhere near twice the damage of the Sidekick and Leadspitters...

Ooh, you thought of 12 shells too??? NICE!

As far as I remember, there was no Reload function for the Fleshrend... maybe the upgrade can consume three shells per shot, and then you can use the Reload key to detach/reattach the upgrade, so you can choose to expend two shells worth of power at the cost of two shells, or expend three shells worth of power at the cost of three shells.

Patriarch works just fine for me. No need to change it. :)
Carbine Dioxide

There's no need to change any of the things suggested in my opinion, the weapons still feel pretty damn awesome as is.

Oh, man, how my face lit up when I used the BM's alt fire with Ammo Junkie. :wub:
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Fun fact: the Fleshrends used to consume more shells for more power, but the idea was dropped in favor of keeping any augments to the weapons ~pure upgrades~.

The hard ammo cap might well be disappointing if you're still picking up backpacks in a slaughtermegawad, but I figured an upper limit might as well distinguish between certain other related characters by this mod author, whose hammerspaces are technically only as limited as a 32-bit signed variable. :D

FMG's damage is good as-is considering its variable difference from the Sidekick and Leadspitters - it is by and far the bullet weapon with the least gimmicks involved for pure damage, and so its capability remains just that: a choice for pinpoint, long range, single target damage. The Sidekick, while it has its uses and its oomph with the blueprint, is slower, and the Leadspitters spit most of that DPS downrange to be lost when you're not hitting anything (although I do admit to firing them just so the fireworks automatically slam a few distractions). When you have the time to aim, the FMG is worth it - and is slightly rarer in certain Doom 2 scenarios where the mapper expects your chaingun to be obtained from chaingunners only.
Ikazu-san wrote:There's a little issue with Edgelord difficulty: health and armor bonuses wont work.
This sounds like a feature...
Pardo

Post by Pardo »

1.4 doesnt work for me.
i have no idea why.
it gives me the IWAD selection screen, i choose what i want to play and click and then it tries to load and almost instantly stops to a red line of some sort of error.
i am using the latest GZDoom, the same very one i used with version 1.3 and it worked.
its literally the same folder with the exact same files in it, only i replaced 1.3 with 1.4 and now it doesnt work anymore.
what should i do?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What does the error message say? That's kind of important.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Describe the error, and consider grabbing one of these to see if it rectifies the issue.
Carbine Dioxide

The Quad Damage is honestly kind of underwhelming. I thought it would do a lot more damage, and was looking forward to completing later levels with the Side Kick.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”