[Justamod] Shut up and Bleed. (Now in V0.4 flavor)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:18 pm

ah, glad that got sorted out, it does work properly for me now. :)
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby iSpook » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Glad to hear it!
User avatar
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.
 
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Location: In the middle of Stephen King Territory

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 pm

the damage for the revolver seems to be kinda random to me now, actually. i can sometimes drop a Turmoil in 3 shots, sometimes it takes more than one magazine to kill them. i definitely don't agree with it being something you'd use more over the 9mm pistol, since it's far more useful against weaker enemies than the revolver, even if it isn't nearly as accurate as it is. also, if you carry more than one grenade in your arsenal, you always seem to lose them when progressing to the next level. annoying, since the grenades are actually very useful weapons, and i don't see why you'd lose them out in a survival horror mod, of all things.

on another note, Cygnus IV seems to be a good mapset to play with this mod. it even comes with its own moody soundtrack, although it's not exactly ambient through and through, and the DEH story doesn't really match up with the story from the mod. speaking of which, i actually liked the little story blurbs you got with clearing an area, even if it'd break compatibility of other mods.
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:46 pm

So, returning to my unanswered concern about engine versions... are you trying to stay compatible with a lower-numbered version of Zandronum, such as 1.3?

Also, since all of these weapons have AMMO_OPTIONAL, I find that the VP70 will always fire three rounds, even if it only had one or two in the magazine. May want to rectify that.
Lastly, I have to say I really hate Accusers... in an open area, even a single one will just destroy my day. Not enjoyable...
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby iSpook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 am

Ed the Bat wrote:So, returning to my unanswered concern about engine versions... are you trying to stay compatible with a lower-numbered version of Zandronum, such as 1.3?


Yes, I am. I figured it'd be enjoyable in survival co-cop.

Ed the Bat wrote: Also, since all of these weapons have AMMO_OPTIONAL, I find that the VP70 will always fire three rounds, even if it only had one or two in the magazine. May want to rectify that.


Noted.

Ed the Bat wrote:Lastly, I have to say I really hate Accusers... in an open area, even a single one will just destroy my day. Not enjoyable...


That's the general opinion of them, I've hated them in the original mod too.
User avatar
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.
 
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Location: In the middle of Stephen King Territory

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Ed the Bat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:37 am

Surely Zandronum 2.0 has Survival? But, what do I know (I'm presuming people who like Zandronum aren't using 2.0 for some reason)? Gotta do what you gotta do. As for Accusers, I know it's usually the most proper thing to stay authentic to the original, but... if there was ever a movement to do any balance changes, I guess my opinions on this one are known (and not uncommon, apparently).
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:16 am

they already got nerfed a bit in the latest version. now the projectiles aren't as many and not everywhere, mostly just where you are at. though yes, they're quite annoying, and you have to stay the hell away from them and take potshots at them when you can.
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby -Ghost- » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32 am

Ed the Bat wrote:Surely Zandronum 2.0 has Survival? But, what do I know (I'm presuming people who like Zandronum aren't using 2.0 for some reason)? Gotta do what you gotta do. As for Accusers, I know it's usually the most proper thing to stay authentic to the original, but... if there was ever a movement to do any balance changes, I guess my opinions on this one are known (and not uncommon, apparently).


It'd be cool to have a side version later down the line, when the main mod is done, that has bigger changes to balance, sprites, etc.
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby TerminusEst13 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 am

Ed the Bat wrote:(I'm presuming people who like Zandronum aren't using 2.0 for some reason)

2.0 isn't actually released. It's only in an alpha state.
User avatar
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Ed the Bat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:20 am

TerminusEst13 wrote:2.0 isn't actually released. It's only in an alpha state.

According to this, public beta has been available for a full year (minus nine days). But, alright.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby CorSair » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Glaring bug:
Mine Layer secretly uses loaded SPAS ammo, noticed when my fully loaded spas was empty while I used my mine layer. I think this bit screws it up, in Minegun file:
Code: Select allExpand view
      TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("Spasmag",1)
?

And some monsters have problems while trying to attack on different heights. Even 128 units high ledge can be problematic to Abaddon, if you have ground to move around. Most of the spread shots pass over my head, since it explodes midway. And Granfalloon has similar problems. Can only attack on same height as it is.

Some other annoyances:
Glutton/lost soul replacements have Sin of Flesh's echo sound, gave me scare few times when I didn't remember monster placement.

Famine projectiles when it is spent have same normal death sound as Famine got. Got goofed few times by this.

Sin of Flesh: when I managed to infight it with malbouge (note: one), it got obliterated by malbouge. That's pretty... underwhelming when you get easily buttblasted by Sin.

Also, didn't pitkis move a bit forward (or lunge) while attacking player? I remember them being bit obnoxious for this reason... (And it was quite challenging, too. Whatever way folks like to take.)


Will try to see if there's anything else I gotta report. Currently playing Eternal Doom, seems okay so far (Map 5 now.)
User avatar
CorSair
Yay fridays
 
Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Location: .fi

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby iSpook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:13 pm

CorSair wrote:Glaring bug:
Mine Layer secretly uses loaded SPAS ammo, noticed when my fully loaded spas was empty while I used my mine layer. I think this bit screws it up, in Minegun file:
Code: Select allExpand view
      TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("Spasmag",1)
?

And some monsters have problems while trying to attack on different heights. Even 128 units high ledge can be problematic to Abaddon, if you have ground to move around. Most of the spread shots pass over my head, since it explodes midway. And Granfalloon has similar problems. Can only attack on same height as it is.

Some other annoyances:
Glutton/lost soul replacements have Sin of Flesh's echo sound, gave me scare few times when I didn't remember monster placement.

Famine projectiles when it is spent have same normal death sound as Famine got. Got goofed few times by this.

Sin of Flesh: when I managed to infight it with malbouge (note: one), it got obliterated by malbouge. That's pretty... underwhelming when you get easily buttblasted by Sin.

Also, didn't pitkis move a bit forward (or lunge) while attacking player? I remember them being bit obnoxious for this reason... (And it was quite challenging, too. Whatever way folks like to take.)


Will try to see if there's anything else I gotta report. Currently playing Eternal Doom, seems okay so far (Map 5 now.)



1.) The projectile's explosion isn't the Famine's death sound, but the sound you hear when Famine's explode.

2.) I've looked over the Sin's and Malbouge's projectile damage and Malbouge will pretty much beat out the sin, It has 1.6k health and it's main projectile does 20-60 damage each, while all of Sin's projectiles do 10-30 damage each (well except the projectile it fires in that barrage). Unless I make the Sin 20x more damaging this probably will always be the case.

3.) I didn't notice the lunge, I'll look into it.

4.) Fixed the mine bit.

5.) The height thing may be due to A_spawnitemEx, I'll look into it.

6.) Yeah I wasn't thinking with the LS's replacement's sounds, whoops. Fixed it.
User avatar
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.
 
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Location: In the middle of Stephen King Territory

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Ed the Bat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:19 pm

I meant to ask, why DO you use A_SpawnItemEx for the replacement actors? In most cases, I only see one monster replacing another, so you could just use the 'replaces' keyword. In other cases, surely RandomSpawner would be a cleaner solution for multiple possibilities (assuming Zandronum supports it; I really have no frame of reference on that).
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby iSpook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:I meant to ask, why DO you use A_SpawnItemEx for the replacement actors? In most cases, I only see one monster replacing another, so you could just use the 'replaces' keyword. In other cases, surely RandomSpawner would be a cleaner solution for multiple possibilities (assuming Zandronum supports it; I really have no frame of reference on that).



Because at the start of the mod, I was planning on adding a secondary monster to each monster slot, and someway along the way "Randomspawner" was being wonky, so I sorta used HD's method of spawning bosses instead.
User avatar
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.
 
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Location: In the middle of Stephen King Territory

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby Ed the Bat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 pm

"Wonky"? I'm genuinely curious to know more, because this method you're using has its fair share of problems. For example, if a new monster is too big to fit, the spawn fails. Also, if the monster being replaced is supposed to have a TID, the new monster will not. Both of these things have broken maps while I was trying to play.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchygamer, PresBarackbar and 15 guests