[Justamod] Shut up and Bleed. (Now in V0.4 flavor)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:36 am

can I be honest? I feel incredibly weird having alternate versions of my mod being made without asking first. ispook asked so he got the ok but the other folks messing around with my stuff feels really...

idk I don't like it when I wasn't asked beforehand???
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 am

But... I did ask. I asked if it was okay with both you and iSpook, and I got the all-clear from him. I assumed you discussed it together...

Even still, I've made it a point to adhere faithfully to everything about the mod itself. I'm simply updating code to modern standards (which frankly, I think it should be regardless): something I know iSpook is hesitant of because of Zandronum. That qualifies as "messing around"?
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm

he asked me via note. I don't check this thread 24/7 and I leave myself signed in all the time, and I gave him the ok but beyond a note maybe once a week or so at this point. please don't assume for the future that these things are constant and that I am up to date on here. if no one come gets me how am I to know. assumptions end up making things worse.

and it isn't the updating process to better ports. theres slight changes that to me ruin the appeal man. just please note me for future reference. honestly 9 times outta ten im hella ok with changes or versions, but don't make assumptions based on associations. without asking privately it sours everything incredibly so and the desire to give the ok is FAR less man
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:28 pm

All news to me, but very well.
chronoteeth wrote:theres slight changes that to me ruin the appeal man

Such as?
Ed the Bat

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:36 pm

auto reload, no select if no ammo, etc. yes the option is in the settings, but that's the thing: given the option reduces stress and aggravation. I dun want that haha. ruins the mood.

see tho that's the thing: askin me woulda meant id be all ok cuz it's not the original. I just had a really sour attitude about it all because I wasn't confronted about it
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 pm

chronoteeth wrote:given the option reduces stress and aggravation.

I... don't understand this issue at all, sorry. You're saying that you oppose the flexibility of the engine itself?

chronoteeth wrote:I wasn't confronted about it

Not privately, but I asked publicly. Since this is your project, I had to think that iSpook wouldn't be calling any decisions that you would not have, yourself. And your post on page one indicated your involvement. Plus, unless explicitly set, the defaults for this forum are that you would be notified of updates via email. There were many ways in which I made this open to you. I am sorry you're unhappy, but I can't say I feel I did anything incorrectly with how I tried to ask permission to give engine-relevant updates.
Ed the Bat

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't have notifications set. look just ask via note next time and don't assume things. assumptions will eventually backfire
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:48 pm

If we're on the subject of assumptions, perhaps you'll want to consider changing this clause you inserted in CT-SUAB.txt:
Code: Select allExpand view
Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse.

Anyway. I believe everything has been said on the matter that there is to say.
Ed the Bat

Postby Cardboard Marty » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 pm

From the idgames release:
Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse

I understand getting permission for the port, but I don't there is an obligation to consult you for every change that differs from the original, especially forks of the port/adaptation. But hey, I'm pretty relaxed about these things so I can understand it being a bigger deal to others.

EDIT: ninja'd.
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I think you're trying to avoid the fact that you didn't ask me privately. those are the base options for making a text file in doomworld. most people don't check those options. in that case though my foresight was not accurate and I apologize for that.

as for this issue though it becomes an issue of defending. for future reference please just ask me via note
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 pm

chronoteeth wrote:I think you're trying to avoid the fact that you didn't ask me privately.

I didn't avoid the fact, I openly stated it myself.
chronoteeth wrote:those are the base options for making a text file in doomworld. most people don't check those options.

Quite a statement, considering your tirade against making assumptions.

chronoteeth wrote:for future reference please just ask me via note

Duly noted.
Ed the Bat

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:00 pm

yes, and I apologized for that statement. you do know that from a statistical side that it is true too
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I should have mentioned that I accept that apology. I just felt it might have seemed patronizing at the moment. Yes, I know the odds are heavily in favor of it. That's what most assumptions are; playing the odds. Not correct 100% of the time, but reliable enough, based in good reasoning, and on the whole it's how people operate in daily life. But mistakes can always be made, too. It happens.

And again, your concerns were heard and noted. If I have a topic to discuss with you, I will contact you directly.
Ed the Bat

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 pm

thanks for understanding. it's more of a prinicpal of the thing, and especially someone who creates art myself, these days credits and edits really get to me.I know you mean good will and it's not with out it's positives, you do better fixes to mods that most folksee as an oversight

why not create an original mod? you have the smarts and coding know how to do so
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Ah, that's nice of you to say... I have my own original works, but they're pretty much for private use only. They're a basis for most of what I've learned, though, and I've carried over pieces and concepts into other things I've contributed to, such as Reelism (possibly my biggest and most recognized public contributions to date).

And, as strange as it may sound... a large part of why I wish to contribute to other projects, such as this one, is that a couple of snippets of code in many projects (almost entirely due to outdated engine practices) block me from being able to run said projects in conjunction with my own work (I'm a big fan of mixing and combining), so I make those edits privately anyhow, and then I figured perhaps I could offer my updates to the actual project maintainers, and by extension, the player base. I like the thought of other people being able to get something out of my efforts.
Ed the Bat

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods