Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: BDJ - grenades, fighting, and fatalities worth doing

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

YES, Terminus! :twisted:

Here is a prototype of a new pickup sprite. If you like it, I will keep going.

I will color it grey or black when I get the HUD sprite colored.
Attachments
64 PROTO.png
64 PROTO.png (287 Bytes) Viewed 4943 times
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I was playing through Phobos: Anomaly Reborn with this mod (good work on this; it's kickass) and noticed something unique that I've never seen in a doom mod before: bullet decals on the floor and ceiling. That's something I've been wanting for a while now. How did you achieve that?
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Wow... this is fantastic. You've literally done everything I wanted to do, this is one-stop shopping for me.

Brutal doom with -
- Doom 64 sounds and weapons
- voxel items
- perfect weapon sprite/damage/ammo
- smooth doom integration

I still like Brutal Doom even though the cool thing to do is now to dislike it, but this is freaking spot on.

Few things I'll agree with -
-I don't like the AR iron sights, they don't match the normal weapon sprite and I don't like such visually restrictive sights. And I wish it was still full auto in iron sights, but I can appreciate the sentiment of making it a "semi auto sniper kinda sorta."
-Also, I don't like enemy health bars but that's just a personal preference. Which I see can be negated by reducing the hud to the smallest screen size, nice!

Keep this up! Please!

All we need is a BDJ edition of the doomvisor hud I'd be set for life!
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

WOW I actually loved playing this! I got tired of Brutal Doom until I found this. This is just amazing how you implement the grenades, and everything is just perfect. PLZ keep on going with this mod, and great job!
EDIT: One thing that would be nice is if we could disable voxels in-game.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Sorry, if i annoying, but i found a bug:

Player can pass thru red column (i mean normal red column with skulls and tall red column with skulls).
Also broken floor lamps not have a voxel models, but i know, this models can be (i see them in other mods).
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I like what you've done so far! The Doom 64 weapons are great, wouldn't mind more, like maybe the chaingun. I also like your colored enemy types, it'd be cool to have more of them as well for some of the basic monsters, maybe zombie variants with helmets etc, too. Having them revert back to regular sprites during fatalities and such isn't a big deal, they turn into gibs anyway. :P The health bars are nice to have, but it feels a little small on a widescreen resoultion, so it can be hard to read; I'm running on 1600x900.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Alrighty, lots of responses to make here!

Carbine Dioxide - I actually considered inputting some of the smoothdoom death animations, but I figured I'd wait til BDv20 came out to see what Sgt. Mark already had done. I didn't want to waste a bunch of time adding them only to find out the next BD is loaded with better, smoother ones. If this is not the case upon release, I'll add in some smoothdoom ones. If you want to blackify the 64 guns and make better ADS sprites then I say go for it. I'd actually love that because I really have no talent in that department. Widescreen... yeah, I know :( I can probably make the grenade arm widescreen friendly, but the punch sprites just end up looking wrong. If that arm was just like, 2 inches longer, I could get it looking fine, but if you move it over by the necessary amount of pixels to make it not float, it looks like doomguy has short little t-rex arms or is abruptly stopping his punch mid extension. I dunno, I'll figure something out, because I know us 4:3 players are the minority. I'm definitely gonna fix the radio hand sprites, I know they look [censored word] atm. The shotgun (and all the rest of the) pickups are vanilla because I don't really have a lot of options as far as voxels go, and voxels are fucking awesome so I had to put something. I want to avoid having some voxels and some sprites. It's all voxels or no voxels, you know? I might go ahead and make them turn-offable since DoomCraft suggested it, in which case I will most definitely use your shotgun sprite. Looks awesome so far. Once again, I'm glad you're enjoying it bud. I know I enjoyed making it.

Devianteist - orderrrrrr UUUUUuuup vanilla grenades are ready for action. Zombiemen, shotgunguys, and chaingunguys have a 70ish percent chance to drop 3 of them. I put the pk3 in the DL folder with the rest of the stuff so just click the same download link and it'll be there. I didn't see you wanted punching and kicking too so this is only grenades right now, but yeah I can and definitely will do that. I'm getting drunk right now but check back here tomorrow and I'll have it done for ya.

Rustygold - I know right?!??1 Thanks man. Yeah I beefed up the shotgun to still be a contender even when you have the ssg, and nerfed the shit out of the ssg single shots and made their spread wider. You can still shoot one barrel at a time, but... there's really no reason to. It's just there for symmetry's sake--everything else has an altfire, ssg might as well too!

Terminus - lawls HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT

Wivicer - haha unfortunately dude that part is not my doing. I believe it was part of BD sperglord edition, which this is based off of. I have no idea how it works, but yeah it's pretty rad.

Max - Thanks man!! Yeah I basically tried to apply every little cool doom thing I've come across to this mod. My favorite part is the different punching animation based on whether or not it connects. When I learned that was possible I had to change my pants. I don't like the iron sights either, and some better ones are in the works. As far as rapid fire goes, check the download link. I threw a patch in there for ya that makes it shoot full auto always. Also, you can move the healthbar around or disable it entirely if you want to--check the HUD options menu, you can disable it under "Enemy Healthbar Options". No screen size change needed. And I'll get to work on that ultimate doomvisor thing, it looks goddamn amazing, I've never seen that before.

DoomCraft - Thanks, thanks! Yeah I'll probably make an option to disable voxels if you want in the future.

RastaManGames - Not annoying at all! I don't know why that was happening but it's fixed now. And yeah I know about the floor lamps. I wanted to keep the voxel cause it's cool, but I want to keep them breakable because that's also cool. My hands are tied!

Ghost - If I can find a way to work the D64 chaingun into the same kind of minigun form I have now, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna update the randomizer to include the recolored barons/knights/demons from KDIZD eventually, might throw some new zombies in there too, just for you.

Glad everybody's enjoying it so far! I am too, I play this shit every day. Check the download link again for a small update with some fixes and other little things, a rifle full auto ADS patch, and a standalone grenade throwing weaponset.
Last edited by johnny on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'm glad you picked BDSE to base this off. The only other BD submod that comes close is Quaker's and that one is a bit crazier.
Legend

Post by Legend »

The grenades are really cool. I would love to see a stand alone wad with just the grenades that uses a mutator that randomly changes rocket ammo pickups to grenades instead though. Getting grenades from doing fatalities on imps doesn't make much sense to me.

And possibly a black glove version :P . The grenades are the best part I think.

The overall concept is very nice, even though I'm not a big fan of BD, even though I do use it now and then (that probably wasn't proper English).

Very nice. Kudos for getting rid of the flipping birds and cussing at monsters.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

johnny wrote: Devianteist - orderrrrrr UUUUUuuup vanilla grenades are ready for action. Zombiemen, shotgunguys, and chaingunguys have a 70ish percent chance to drop 3 of them. I put the pk3 in the DL folder with the rest of the stuff so just click the same download link and it'll be there. I didn't see you wanted punching and kicking too so this is only grenades right now, but yeah I can and definitely will do that. I'm getting drunk right now but check back here tomorrow and I'll have it done for ya.
Haven't downloaded it yet, will get right on it right after I finish typing this. I'm glad that you decided to make the Zombie enemies drop them, cause Rocket ammo always seems to be the first thing to get replaced.

EDIT: Been loving the absolute hell out of the stand alone grenade.pk3. Can't wait for the the addition of the punching and kicking.
Last edited by Devianteist on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cacobus

Post by Cacobus »

Hey Johnny, I know somebody asked this before,but could you please add a second dowload link,I always have trouble when downloading from Mega,and I am dying to try this.Thanks :lol:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

After playing around with the weapons a bit more, I think there are a few things that could use tweaking:

-The rocket launcher fire sound is a bit too loud, though that's personal preference.
-I'm not sure if I like the new plasma rifle, it feels less useful than the original one because you usually overheat before you can take down a Baron or a few enemies.
-The shotguns and chaingun feel pretty good, I like how the default shotgun is still pretty powerful so it's not immediately replaced by the SSG.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Hey Cacobus, check the OP for an alternate link through dropbox.

Devianteist - Good to hear dude. I'm giving my dog a bath right quick cause he just rolled in a turd outside, but I'll get crackin' on the punching and the kicking right after.

Ghost - I'll crank it down a bit. My laptop speakers are really small and have almost no bass so my SNDINFO lump might be full of volumes that are a little too much for actual decent speakers. As for the plasma rifle, ya gotta pace those shots brother! The plasma rifle is strong as shit and everyone knows more power = more good, so rather than make the plasma globs weaker I opted to add a little strategy to shooting it in lieu of spray 'n pray. If you quit firing for like, 2 full seconds, the built up heat will be back at zero. Each shot adds one unit of heat (out of 49, 50 triggers overheat), but while it's in the ready state, it's taking off one unit of heat per every one tic, which is 28.571 milliseconds. It cools down pretty quickly. The overheat animation is only like 2 or 3 frames longer than the original reloading animation was, so if you overheat every single time, you're basically just using the same thing as the old plasma rifle. If you stop firing every so often to let it cool a tad, it's actually a bit stronger.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

johnny wrote: Devianteist - Good to hear dude. I'm giving my dog a bath right quick cause he just rolled in a turd outside, but I'll get crackin' on the punching and the kicking right after.

Ghost - I'll crank it down a bit. My laptop speakers are really small and have almost no bass so my SNDINFO lump might be full of volumes that are a little too much for actual decent speakers. As for the plasma rifle, ya gotta pace those shots brother! The plasma rifle is strong as shit and everyone knows more power = more good, so rather than make the plasma globs weaker I opted to add a little strategy to shooting it in lieu of spray 'n pray. If you quit firing for like, 2 full seconds, the built up heat will be back at zero. Each shot adds one unit of heat (out of 49, 50 triggers overheat), but while it's in the ready state, it's taking off one unit of heat per every one tic, which is 28.571 milliseconds. It cools down pretty quickly. The overheat animation is only like 2 or 3 frames longer than the original reloading animation was, so if you overheat every single time, you're basically just using the same thing as the old plasma rifle. If you stop firing every so often to let it cool a tad, it's actually a bit stronger.

Gotta love animals. :3:

Also, about that explanation for the plasma rifle; thanks. I was trying to figure out how your PR worked, but couldn't quite get it down (being unfamiliar yet with DOOM's tics). So that helps a lot.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

hey, there is a way to remove the footsteps?? is the most annoying thing and more when they are not sync to the movement, about the barrels why they take so much damage to explode?
When a key or skull is pick it up is no show on the hud and the sound of the rifle is diferent from normal state and iron state

Return to “Gameplay Mods”