Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: JohnnyDoom - The Return of The Titlescreen

Post by Samarai1000 »

Graf Zahl wrote:*snip*
Fuck anyone that wants to play an older mod that uses the menu system, I guess.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Samarai1000 wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:*snip*
Fuck anyone that wants to play an older mod that uses the menu system, I guess.
You come in with that kind of an attitude and you expect to actually be listened to? This is a hobby project - we're not a corporation, you're not forking over cash, and we feel no pain of loss when you leave. We owe you nothing. So if you want to leave then do so, by all means, but don't expect anyone to sympathize with you when you come off as a hotheaded moron with a chip on your shoulder.

Your hatred and anger motivates us to spite, not to sympathize, nor have any desire to fix your problems.

If you can't learn basic diplomacy, expect to get nothing back. Good riddance, too.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Rachael wrote:*snap*
I find it a bit odd you call me a "hotheaded moron" and respond with that, but I apologize for being passive aggressive. I just worry about big changes or overhauls of GZDoom features will break compatibility with older mods, as they occasionally have in the past. I do wish you had made the response in direct messaging so as to avoid getting the thread off topic, though.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd say the proper way to handle something like this would have been to report the issues to those involved - whether bringing it up as Bugs threads (like this one) or by bringing it up to the actual mod authors in the case that it's something that needs fixing mod-side. An understanding should be reached, somehow.

Swearing and cursing and otherwise making a point to offend people, however, doesn't tend to endear anybody to help.
johnny

Post by johnny »

affandede wrote:I think You-Know-Who might help you. For free, even. He did some sick optimization thing to v21.
I mean my ACS that I wrote specifically that controls all the powerups/multi kills/jpoints tracking and all that, not with any BD stuff. I know it all functions, but I guarantee I've coded it in a less-than-optimal way.
wildweasel wrote:Check to make sure that the blood projectiles do not have +SKYEXPLODE on them; if they do, remove or unset that flag, so that they vanish when they reach the sky instead of entering their death state.
I would love if it were this easy but the ceiling blood works literally by just thrustthingz-ing a blood model against the ceiling constantly until the dripping stops, then it disappears. Very hacky but it does the trick when the sky-ceiling isn't super low.
Velaron wrote:Sadly, it's kinda unplayable for me. After entering the second map in a WAD, it begins to freeze every second or so. Tried latest GZDoom both vintage and not, playing only Ultimate Doom and JohnnyDoom.
:( It's gotta be something with my ACS. I really need to pay some pro to look at it. ANY OF U GUISE READING THIS, if u tryna make like 30 bucks on venmo hmu (is that too low?)
Trusty McLegit wrote:Fuck yeah, love this mod! Is there a particular reason this only works with the vintage edition?
Thanks dude!! Lol actually, no there isn't. It works perfectly fine with the modern version. It's just that the menus look stupid and the colors look all washed out in some places and too saturated in others. Who knows, maybe my settings just need tweaking. But the modern version also completely ruins the timing of my title screen which fuckin sucks.
Gorec wrote:i have stuttering too and maybe shadows cause this,no bloom no voxels no fancy torches low graphics turned on and still lagging,tried on vintage 3.7.0 and 3.7.2
Does nash's spriteshadow mod have a stuttering problem? Maybe that's it.
Kinsie wrote:It works fine in the modern version.
Thanks for answering questions in here kinsie, metadoom fucking rules by the way holy shit you're an all star!
Rez

Post by Rez »

Turns out after commenting out everything from LOADACS the game will spam error messages but still run.

Turing off strafetilting fixed some slight mouse stuttering, but i didnt have these huge performance issues the others were reporting.

Might be worth experimenting with.

EDIT, some bugs:
With vanilla monsters on shotgunguys drop their shotgun twice.
Grenadebox ammo has no sprite.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Rez wrote:Turns out after commenting out everything from LOADACS the game will spam error messages but still run.

Turing off strafetilting fixed some slight mouse stuttering, but i didnt have these huge performance issues the others were reporting.

Might be worth experimenting with.

EDIT, some bugs:
With vanilla monsters on shotgunguys drop their shotgun twice.
Grenadebox ammo has no sprite.
Lol well yeah man but then all the fun parts of the mod get turned off! I have no idea where the few people who are getting slowdowns are coming from, it runs buttery smooth for me. I have one theory though which I have changed for an update that I’ll probably put out tonight when I get home from work. Also if you turn on vsync, the mouse stuttering goes away. This only happens on some monitors I believe, as I used to get it but don’t anymore on my visio tv. And thanks for the bug reports—will fix. It’s good to know people actually use the vanilla stuff and other cvars.
Dwailing wrote:The Dark Imp with the purple fire seems to transform briefly into a regular Imp during one of its pain animations. It's probably missing a sprite for a pain frame or something like that.
I’ve noticed this too and have been trying to figure out which one it is. Thanks for this. I think it’s from a weird angle too.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Johnny's back at it? Dang! Better turn down the bass already, just in case.
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

Not sure where the stuttering is coming from, but actually if I kill the monsters on the map and when they fully die, it stops. Like there is some kind of intense check every second that causes the lag. It only happens every second or so. And it doesn't happen on all maps for some reason, unrelated to the monster count.
Rez

Post by Rez »

Found a potentionally gamebreaking bug, burning chaingunguys are not set to non-blocking.

Also, meleeing Hellknights when they are crawling on the floor still triggers fatalities when they are turned off.

I like having fatalities, but sometimes they get in the way.
A fun solution would be triggering fatalities only on punches, not on kicks, letting you choose on the fly.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Velaron wrote:Not sure where the stuttering is coming from, but actually if I kill the monsters on the map and when they fully die, it stops. Like there is some kind of intense check every second that causes the lag. It only happens every second or so. And it doesn't happen on all maps for some reason, unrelated to the monster count.
That’s a good theory—it’s my theory as well. If you look in the weapon code, every single tic in the realready state, script 799 (checks all cvars) is being run. This is so you can switch vanilla weapons/fatalities/jpoints powerups etc without having to restart the map and it’ll take effect instantly. This is obviously excessive and idk why I made it that way now that I’ve thought about it more. In the update I’m moving the check to happen just once (beginning of the pullout animation) each time you switch weapons. I think (hope) this might do the trick.
Rez wrote:Found a potentionally gamebreaking bug, burning chaingunguys are not set to non-blocking.

Also, meleeing Hellknights when they are crawling on the floor still triggers fatalities when they are turned off.

I like having fatalities, but sometimes they get in the way.
A fun solution would be triggering fatalities only on punches, not on kicks, letting you choose on the fly.
Rez you are a boss finding these bugs and I appreciate it. Honestly I haven’t tested the vanilla monsters even once because meh I like the new ones lol so I’m glad I have you. I would be down for the kicks thing, but that would cause certain pieces of combo chains to not trigger fatalities, and we can’t have that. Love me some combos.
Slax wrote:Johnny's back at it? Dang! Better turn down the bass already, just in case.
:wub: :wub:

Once again thank you errbody for playing and working with me here, I’m still figuring this out as I go
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i hit a mech demon with the knife and the game froze
probably a 0 tic infinite loop somewhere
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Here's another bug report, with a fix provided:
1.) Get a radio and use it.
2.) While the "need some backup now!" sequence is playing out, hit a number key or use the scrollwheel so that you'll switch weapons as soon as the sequence is over.

After the player puts away the radio, the game will throw up a VM execution error and drop to console.

Since I've been farting around with your mod code(!) I figured out a quick fix: In the AllyRadio code, after "TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("AllyRadio",1)", add a line that's just "TNT1 A 1". This will soothe things into working correctly.
johnny

Post by johnny »

johnny wrote:that’s a good theory—it’s my theory as well. If you look in the weapon code, every single tic in the realready state, script 799 (checks all cvars) is being run. This is so you can switch vanilla weapons/fatalities/jpoints powerups etc without having to restart the map and it’ll take effect instantly. This is obviously excessive and idk why I made it that way now that I’ve thought about it more. In the update I’m moving the check to happen just once (beginning of the pullout animation) each time you switch weapons. I think (hope) this might do the trick.
Quoting myself here, but the more I think about this the more I realize it will probably do nothing. There's a lot of scripts that get called a ton so this probably won't do much, but I did it anyways because it was a redundancy. I changed a bunch of scripts to ACS_Execute rather than ACS_ExecuteAlways as well, maybe that will help them not overlap as much. Had to change them back, a lot of these scripts need to fire off very quickly or else the multikills don't register or have a delay appearing on screen, or you stay in chasecam mode too long after a fatality. Now I remember why I had to spam them so much. I wish I had my old laptop to test this on for slowdowns. Anyways, the update is up, here is a list of the shit that I changed:
Spoiler:
FIRST PAGE GOGOGO
Kinsie wrote:Here's another bug report, with a fix provided:
1.) Get a radio and use it.
2.) While the "need some backup now!" sequence is playing out, hit a number key or use the scrollwheel so that you'll switch weapons as soon as the sequence is over.

After the player puts away the radio, the game will throw up a VM execution error and drop to console.

Since I've been farting around with your mod code(!) I figured out a quick fix: In the AllyRadio code, after "TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("AllyRadio",1)", add a line that's just "TNT1 A 1". This will soothe things into working correctly.
My man! You caught me right as I was typing this. Good deal thank you sir. Fixed and added.

EDIT: Oops. Broke something. If you downloaded in the last hour and you can run while fatality-ing, redownload.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Re: JohnnyDoom - let's fighting love

Post by Slax »

Still fun. WHO KNEW?
Ah yes. My addictions. Johnny grenades, shenanigans, bad puns and... uh, more shenanigans. Too bad this is feature complete. Oh well. A man can dream.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”