[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Post by DoomKrakken »

It doesn't actually have too many custom monsters there. They don't come around too often, even on ultra violence.

If one doesn't want to play with the custom monsters, one can make a simple patch to replace the monsters with standard DemonSteele-modified monsters. I do this all the time with Guncaster, whenever there are custom monsters (although what I do is convert the monster itself into a Guncaster-compatible monster... though that's much harder to do with DemonSteele, as that has custom sprite work for each monster).
Literal Otaku

Post by Literal Otaku »

Is there a way that I could get "Iron Savior" and'or "Shi-hon mode 4" via console, because don't think i can get them in the Hell on Earth map WAD.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Literal Otaku wrote:Is there a way that I could get "Iron Savior" and'or "Shi-hon mode 4" via console, because don't think i can get them in the Hell on Earth map WAD.
You mean you can't get the BFG9000?
Kaeoschassis

Post by Kaeoschassis »

Don't have time to test right now, but I'd assume that since they're both BFG replacements, "summon bfg9000" would work?
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Kaeoschassis wrote:Don't have time to test right now, but I'd assume that since they're both BFG replacements, "summon bfg9000" would work?
Yes
Foxdash

Post by Foxdash »

This game are something! but i see a bug with the sentinel! when it dies, you'll be forced to stay the whole game without re take one, if they die, the HP will be 0 forever...

The player sprite for Shihong are... weird, not compatible with the hands, but ok...

I like the skin for Hae Lin, and she's so cute. hahaha!

you make a good work, man, i have to say thanks for
ICARUSLIV3S, too. I've discovered this mod watching your videos.

Oh, another thing!
Shihong's melee attacks are slow... you have any plans to make a combo sistem like Hae Lin? or make the bare hands/plasma sword a combo like that girl does in "The Space Pirate"? that are realy a good effort to put in from physical mayhem program for Shihong. :v

i was playing it with the starter pack, the game runs ok, but for some reason i can't activate the battle maiden mode! the hell! T-T
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hey guys. Just another note to reassure that, no, this isn't dead.
Moving to Zandronum 3.0 is looking to be the more likely option out of the aforementioned scenarios I've depicted, however, with very few of the input bugs still lingering in there--and even if they did, the Reload bind becoming a dedicated Special key makes things a LOT easier and quicker.

------------------------
Foxdash wrote:This game are something! but i see a bug with the sentinel! when it dies, you'll be forced to stay the whole game without re take one, if they die, the HP will be 0 forever...
I'm afraid I can't seem to replicate this, sorry. Are you using Zandronum or G/ZDoom? And if the latter, are you using an svn build or the stable build?
Foxdash wrote:The player sprite for Shihong are... weird, not compatible with the hands, but ok...
I like the skin for Hae Lin, and she's so cute. hahaha!
Thank you very much. The skin for Shihong is unfortunately unfinished, and looks to be for quite some time. The character artist has vanished for some time and I've been having difficulty finding a replacement.
Foxdash wrote:you make a good work, man, i have to say thanks for
ICARUSLIV3S, too. I've discovered this mod watching your videos.
Thank you very much.
Foxdash wrote:Oh, another thing!
Shihong's melee attacks are slow... you have any plans to make a combo sistem like Hae Lin? or make the bare hands/plasma sword a combo like that girl does in "The Space Pirate"? that are realy a good effort to put in from physical mayhem program for Shihong. :v
i was playing it with the starter pack, the game runs ok, but for some reason i can't activate the battle maiden mode! the hell! T-T
I really don't like dial-a-combo systems. (Sorry, Marty!)
I experimented with them a long time ago and made a wad about 'em and it turned out...really, really awful. They really work much better on a more limited plane with only a couple of enemies, imo.

Shihong does definitely need a buff, though, in the melee department. I've been thinking of a few possible ways to take it, and hopefully come the next build there'll be something significantly more concrete to work with.
Also the Iron Maiden is bound to Use Inventory. If you have at least one full bar of soul, activate it with that.
Foxdash

Post by Foxdash »

"I'm afraid I can't seem to replicate this, sorry. Are you using Zandronum or G/ZDoom? And if the latter, are you using an svn build or the stable build?"

I use GZDoom with latest version, just a HD Texture and loaded with ZDL, that's all. So i pick the sentinel and it dies... the HP counter marks 0 forever even in another level, if i take other sentinel, they spawn dead, in all levels, the HP for sentinel will aways 0 and it spawn dead, at the begining of the level with 0 HP. (The Ravens are fine, no bugs, if they die, i can take another with no problems).

"Thank you very much. The skin for Shihong is unfortunately unfinished, and looks to be for quite some time. The character artist has vanished for some time and I've been having difficulty finding a replacement."

That's too bad. :( I'm curious and sheering to see Shihong at your full waifu power!

"I really don't like dial-a-combo systems. (Sorry, Marty!)
I experimented with them a long time ago and made a wad about 'em and it turned out...really, really awful. They really work much better on a more limited plane with only a couple of enemies, imo.

Shihong does definitely need a buff, though, in the melee department. I've been thinking of a few possible ways to take it, and hopefully come the next build there'll be something significantly more concrete to work with.
Also the Iron Maiden is bound to Use Inventory. If you have at least one full bar of soul, activate it with that."

I understand. But i was thinking in put that kind of combos like Hae Lin makes with the katana, as she does with fists or Plasma Sword (Serious, she just shake the sword like she even know how to brand a sword, i feel sorry for her. :( )

Oh and yes, in Starter Pack, even at full bar, i can't transform her with the Battle Maiden mode, i've tried, not worked.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

SORRY FOR BUMPING THE THREAD!

But I wanted to share a small patch I made.

Demonsteele is an amazing mod, that much is certain, however sometimes a mapper puts a lot (and I mean a lot!) of barrels in a conveyor belt and blows them up using a crusher at the start of a level (check Sunlust Map 30 or Valiant Maps 07 and 18 as an example). In normal Doom, this is not a problem, the barrels blow up without you knowing it and the map goes in as intended, but when you enter one of such levels while using Demonsteele the game can suffer from severe performance drops (and even freezes in lower-end PCs). So, if you have been trouble playing one of these wads (or any other that make use of any similar trick), this very simple patch might be your solution.

It doesn't take away the visual spectacle that are exploding barrels, but simply spawns a dummy barrel for a couple of seconds, if that dummy barrel explodes, there is no performance drop since it does not makes use of any form of effects; and if it doesn't explode, it will fade away and be replaced by the standard Demonsteele barrel, thus if you blow it up later in the level, you will get all of the awesomness.

Get it
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I really do hope you get back to this term, the current update feels a bit unfinished with shihong, and haelin having the weird glitch with the revenant spawning on her.

And I still think the damage on shihongs punches should be variable to how well she paces them out... Spamming rapidly being very light punches, spacing them out every half second being current punches, and waiting a bit longer being harder punches..this would really help out, this model, keeping her slow punches from getting her killed, while normal punches would be a better option DPS wise for big stuff... Though, fast punches, even with less damage might be more viable for hoards of mooks, because currently "DPS" is pointless if 1 punch is 1 kill, and everything around you dies in 1 hit anyway.

Its like if you played space invaders with 2 different guns, one powerful cannon which does 1000 damage once per second but only hits one target, or a rapid fire blaster that does 1 damage, 10 per second. Even though one has a higher "dps", the extra damage is completely meaningless if targets die in 1 shot ANYWAY, so the smaller "weaker" gun is preferable since, in effect, its a straight buff. This is how I feel with her fighting imps, zombie, lost souls, ect, even if a few of them take 2 shots, a few levels up and its one, so I would much rather throw lighter punches just to get the best bang for my buck.
vergil

Post by vergil »

First of all I wanna say thank you for such an amazing mod. It's the first time I spent a lot of time playing any.
To be fair - I think the mod itself is very, very solid. However, there are some rough points that need to be polished (mainly Shihong), and I hope you'll review them in future.

Why's acacia is stronger than viper? Haeling pistol is already firing as fast as you can trigger, and it feels like they both deal same amount of dps in Guns of Aeons mode, which makes no sense. I think you should nerf acacia a bit, leave it a rapid fire pistol, but decrease it's damage per bullet. That way you could really feel the punch of the Viper.

Next stop is Shihong's Tiger sword which is... kinda dissapointing really, after you master kharon + sheath. You can't block projectiles effectively with it, and it does really mediocre damage to say the most - the swing speed is too slow. Using special attacks with is fun, but getting the charge is a pain a butt. I wish you could use it the same way as punches with hatesphere.

Orbs & pickups:
Sentinels and Ravens got too little health on higher difficulties, and sometimes got randomly damaged, even tho hit should miss them completely. Also, if you throw a grenade under youself as a Shihong, you can damage your own Ravens (I don't know if it's a bug, or intended).
Hatesphere is totally awesome, one thing tho - I haven't noticed the difference between melee mode and guns mode for the punches. It feels like they deal same amount of damage. Nvm, It's not.

Next stop is Shihong modes switching - it takes tremendeous amount in game time, where you could've been punching, shooting or using combos. I wish it would've been faster, that way you could've pulled awesome combos depending on a game situation, instead of hiding behind a corner, and praying that animation would finish in time.
Spoiler:
And the dodger mode... Personally I rarely ever use it, because idk. It's too gimmicky to be fair.

But that's not it, forth mode switching for Shihong is abysmally long compared to Iron Saviour animation. First - you need to stop firing, then pray the metal gods that you'll have enough time to pull out the big gun, and then you need to charge it for like 5 seconds just to make sure that thing in front of you dies.
And here goes Haeling - Byonshi! Punch, punch, punch, punch - everything's dead

Gauss gun left click attack is okay, and the gatling gun attachement is fun in it's own. But charge attack and combo attacks need some tweaking. In cooldown department. Make the combos pull out faster and consume more energy, and there you have it. Perfect ballance. Also, it feels like the either SFX for RMB Mastodon charging is missing, or it's too quiet in the havock, making it harder to understand when to release the trigger. Having a chargebar on the Mastodon would've been awesome addition.

Next one is a bit weird but... with arrogant weapons enabled, you still got legion and frosthammer spawning as Shihong, but you can't use them, and they're wasting a random weapon (with random appearance setting). I've read you've been planing on adding some arrogant weaponry for Shihong but it never got there in time. Which is sad but understandable.

Last thing I think that is missing with Shihong is weapon overcharge attacks. Would loved to see some of that action.
Overall, Demonsteele is a great mod, thank you Terminus (and team) for making such kickass mod. I wish I could find it earlier. :wub:
Definitely will look forward to the next updates.

P.s.
mumblemumble wrote:and haelin having the weird glitch with the revenant spawning on her.
That's because someone is using mod that nobody likes to mention, or ketchup. It's a feature.
the machine

Post by the machine »

Perhaps I just didn't hammer him long enough in God Mode, but it seems that the Devil Driver is immune to Shihong's conventional fist attacks. (Gigaton Punch still killed him in four hits.) I'm guessing this is a result of immunity to explosion damage, although I'm not good enough with Decorate to be sure. Is this intentional or a bug?

Edit: tried shotgun and machine pistols, neither appeared to damage the Devil Driver either. Hae-Lin's weapons worked fine, but after emptying all of Shihong's shells/bullets into the DD it still took 4 Gigaton Punches to kill.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

vergil wrote:Next stop is Shihong's Tiger sword which is... kinda dissapointing really
Actually the more time I spend with it the more I come to a conclusion that it's kinda awesome, it has pretty good DPS and murders thing fast even outside of melee mode, the specials are powerful, the powered mode is even more powerful, and if you are good with the sword getting charge is fairly easy. My only gripe is that the Power Mode Altfire is kinda weak, but eh.

And of course it's weaker than Hae-Lin's Kharon because Shihong is not a primarily melee character. A hybrid character being better at melee than actual dedicated melee character would be just silly.
vergil wrote:Sentinels and Ravens got too little health on higher difficulties
but they already die in 5 seconds for me
While we're here though, could Hae-Lin's buttshield get invulnerability while you're dashing? It's kinda weird when you charge forward through projectiles only to have your buttshield tank them all and lose a quarter of it's hp. I can understand the same happening with Hatesphere(since I imagine buttshielding is not it's primary purpose), but when it happens with the Guardian it's just weird.
vergil wrote:And the dodger mode... Personally I rarely ever use it, because idk. It's too gimmicky to be fair.
+
vergil wrote:But that's not it, forth mode switching for Shihong is abysmally long compared to Iron Saviour animation. First - you need to stop firing, then pray the metal gods that you'll have enough time to pull out the big gun, and then you need to charge it for like 5 seconds just to make sure that thing in front of you dies.
And here goes Haeling - Byonshi! Punch, punch, punch, punch - everything's dead
Don't have such problems. The ready animation isn't really that much longer than Hae-Lin's. Also, that charged alternate beam is more of a crowd-killer than a boss killer, if there is one thing in front of you that needs dying right now it is much better to spam normal beams at it. Each beam does as much damage as an unranked Hae-Lin Iron Maiden Punch(which is a lot) and if you get the timing gun just right you can fire them even faster than Hae-Lin can punch, and also while chilling from fifty meters away. Mastodon feels every bit as powerful as Iron Maiden is, with incredibly higher meter effectiveness compensated by lack of any defensive qualities to it.

Those beams do though have an annoying quality of blocking the hell out of your sight and making it difficult to dodge retaliation projectiles.
vergil wrote:Also, it feels like the either SFX for RMB Mastodon charging is missing, or it's too quiet in the havock, making it harder to understand when to release the trigger. Having a chargebar on the Mastodon would've been awesome addition.
Not missing, but pretty quiet. The gun barrels change formation when a second-stage beam is charged, I've always been relying on that.
the machine wrote:Edit: tried shotgun and machine pistols, neither appeared to damage the Devil Driver either. Hae-Lin's weapons worked fine, but after emptying all of Shihong's shells/bullets into the DD it still took 4 Gigaton Punches to kill.
Something is up. Whenever I don't have enough meter for a Mastodon wrecking, Shihong's shotgun is my primary means of Devil Driver destruction.
biscotti

Post by biscotti »

I seem to be getting an ACS error when playing as Shihong lately.

Code: Select all

ACS: I don't know what 'CanSpaceJump' is
Currently running the most recent devbuild of GZDoom, so I thought that was perhaps the culprit considering this is a recent issue. Reverted back to the earlier version I was using, tried running the 32-bit version instead, tried running it in ZDoom, etc. Nothing. Went and dug through all the script files but I can't even find the entry. This is probably something stupidly easy to figure out, but I'm honestly at a loss here.
Gez

Post by Gez »

An error message spam was recently added to the inventory functions. The error message could and should be more explicit (such as naming which function fails instead of saying "I don't know", a terrible design decision IMO); but the point is that before it also didn't work, it just didn't work silently.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”