[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Post by Captain J »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Image
SENPAI NOTICED ME
Unless on multiplayer, through. You are pretty gotta going fast.

just sayin', desune.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

My brain just did a thing.

Dashing + kinetic energy.
Swoosh, SMASH! Stun, knockback, chain-chaos, MADNESS!
(See Fig. 1 a)

...and big ol' Hae-Lin indentations on walls and stuff. :roll:

Fig. 1 a
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hey guys have some random screenshots.

Basically if I don't release a new DemonSteele build this month, may God strike me down.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Dem chilis, man. They're... starting to mess you up.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Nice screenshots. Hope its close-by. Btw your video on your tumbler where you demonstrate the hookshot made me think : when you kicked the head and accidentally whacked it, shouldn't that give you a style bonus? I mean, kicking heads into the air and shooting / slicing them IS kind of badass, agreed? Also, it seems like the dash attack does not destroy objects yet, just noticed that... and dashing into a teleporter can do strange things, like not arrest your velocity (you teleport but keep going, but at least this is a proof of concept for my push teleport concept.) Kind of irritating to dash only to fling out and off a cliff =< and correct me if im wrong but iron maiden has no dash attack yet
Stephen312312

Post by Stephen312312 »

Awesome screenshots. Hope the next version of DemonSteele will come soon.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Image
finally, some bigass tank based monster for doom community!
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

I've noticed that enabling classic health system still makes all health and armor pickups look exactly like they do in Doom. Could they be made look like their DemonSteele equialents? I'm kind of missing my vast amounts of junk food.

Oh, and maybe make the Cookie do something in classic health other than displaying cryptic prophecies.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

mumblemumble wrote:Btw your video on your tumbler where you demonstrate the hookshot made me think : when you kicked the head and accidentally whacked it, shouldn't that give you a style bonus? I mean, kicking heads into the air and shooting / slicing them IS kind of badass, agreed?
Hahah, tempting, but trying to align up the perfect conditions for that and not just make it grindable would be difficult.
mumblemumble wrote:Also, it seems like the dash attack does not destroy objects yet, just noticed that... and dashing into a teleporter can do strange things, like not arrest your velocity (you teleport but keep going, but at least this is a proof of concept for my push teleport concept.) Kind of irritating to dash only to fling out and off a cliff =< and correct me if im wrong but iron maiden has no dash attack yet
Fixed the dash attack, thank you. And now the Iron Maiden does have a dash attack.
I'm not sure I understand about the teleport, though. Could you elaborate, please?
Stephen312312 wrote:Awesome screenshots. Hope the next version of DemonSteele will come soon.
It will be! No promises, because >ever giving deadlines, but I'm really hoping to put out the next build come sometime next week. There's not a whole lot left I have to do--only two major hurdles left!
But boy, are they major...
HexaDoken wrote:I've noticed that enabling classic health system still makes all health and armor pickups look exactly like they do in Doom. Could they be made look like their DemonSteele equialents? I'm kind of missing my vast amounts of junk food.
Oh, and maybe make the Cookie do something in classic health other than displaying cryptic prophecies.
Probably not going to change it to food, sorry.
But fixed, now the cookie and pepper give a small scatter of health bonuses.

ALSO HAVE ANOTHER SCREENSHOT
THIS TIME OF A MAP

Wait, a map?!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

i bet it's specially for MAP30. if that's true, HOLY HOUSECALLING HELLA HELL.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

"We must now gather the most awesome of textures for this, one of the most awesome wads. Awesome maps."
"Ohhhmmm..."
-Doomlai Lama
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Iirc the teleport flings you if you enter one mid air / dash. I did it on tnts map.. . 15 i think? Right after map "hunted" with all the archviles and i dashed into the teleporter you jump into from above and i flung out the other end, like i teleported slightly above the pad and kept going. Might of been cause i double jumped too and was traveling upwards as i hit it idk. Happened twice though.

Im going to be honest btw omens alt fire is weak from testing yesterday, not worth the souls or charge short of for kicks. The range is so low normal use is far more effective, damage wise im sure i could equal or outdo it with a few strikes at 90+, and thats before considering soul charge. Might be worth it if you made the thunder beefier and perhaps homing, more range, and/or lessen, tweak or even remove the soul consumption.(or a mix of these) Also i forget what weapon but the space pirate had some jumping laser weapon which homed and went from target to target, that would be useful. But honestly since its an infinite ammo weapon and ammo isn't an issue, imo it should either be beefier than the standard omen 70+ charge or use no souls. Legion alt is similar dps wise but has benefit of close range stunlock (and living helicopter mode) as well as it keeps working after you put it away (we could use more abilities like this), which omens primary fire does anyway. (omen a tough guy, hack away while stunlocked) sorry for the harsh criticism but its pretty much not worth it tactically speaking, all it takes is dashing up and using omen at 70 + and you easily leave the special attack in the dust damage wise, flexibility wise and imo aesthetics wise. Also if you do indeed keep it as a beam, could you make it instead consume 1soul unit per x amount of ticks?(assuming soul costs stay) Sorry to shit on the idea but outside it being flashy it just doesn't hold a candle to the normal omen fire =(

Omen fire default
Pros: stunlocks, area denial damage, continues working after its used, pairs really well with kharon, if rationed can provide continuous high dps (get to 70, fire, wait a few seconds, repeat) no soul use.
Cons: short range, useless at low charge.

Omen fire special
Pros: more range, looks cool, good for blasting down hallway. Feel like thor without needing to get off my ass and walking over to smack someone's shit.
Cons: doesn't synergize with kharon, equal or less damage, cannot "fire and forget", soul use, limited range. Needs to be fired from high charge to be worth souls.

If you just want it done for v75 i would say eliminate the soul cost (or at least greatly reduce it). I could see using it if it used no souls, and i know v75 is something you want out soon
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

mumblemumble wrote:sorry for the harsh criticism but its pretty much not worth it tactically speaking, all it takes is dashing up and using omen at 70 + and you easily leave the special attack in the dust damage wise
I appreciate the input, I certainly like different viewpoints. In this case, though, your information is gravely erroneous.
In the build I'm sitting on at the moment, the Omen's special does 35 damage per hit, adding up to 7000 damage total--more, if you include the mid-attack regeneration. This is enough to take down any enemy in roughly six seconds at most. I think the one on the git is 30 damage per, for 6000+ damage. The alternative you propose, hitting someone with a full charge and then a few lesser charges, does 180 (full charge impact) + 64*12 (resulting surrounding explosions, assuming absolute best possible scenario and that every single explosion hits dead on, which it won't = 768) + 120 + 64 (60-charge impact and the resulting explosion) = 1132 damage, over a much longer span of time.
That doesn't even come close to the special's damage, which hits much harder much faster, and has a range of up to 512 units, over 6x the normal range of 80 units.

Giving this weapon a lesser cost or homing lightning would be balancing suicide. There would be absolutely no reason to use any other special attack, none of which even come close to its damage. For comparison, the spin attack is 534 damage--multiplied by Slayer's damage multiplier to result in 2670 damage. Add on to the fact that it's precisely because the Omen is effectively infinite ammo that it needs to make up for it with soul cost. It's unbelievably powerful, with disadvantages being its more limited range compared to the other specials and ramped-up cost.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Ah, i guess thats a good point. Sorry. I guess i got too obsessed over how well the omen synergies with sword play, since them stacked=maximum stunlock. I should try killing an emperor til he says "don't taze me bro".... That said making soul consumption based on time held down seems logical (if you haven't done this already) since a full 100 mana drain and a quick zap do the same consumption. Possible / already done?

Sorry for my grievous miss judgment, i feel like an ass now.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

That's an interesting idea! I'll give that a shot, thank you.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”