Tranquility (On Hold, 2017-08-12)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Tranquility - An "Authentic" Weapons Mod (2015-04-

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am

Combination of smaller movements and cone fire, possibly?
(subject to my comments elsewhere)

I think the speed is fine as a base speed, but an option to sprint would be very helpful and feel less frustrating.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Caligari87 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:50 am

I think the two are going to end up inextricably tied. At the moment I'm not thrilling to the idea of coding a stamina system, so I think the player's reason for not having "auto-run" always on should come down to how much accuracy they're willing to sacrifice, but that involves making the sway/accuracy issue less annoying than "swing your view in random directions while running" as it currently stands.

Hmm... Maybe the accuracy (however I redo that, cone-of-fire or otherwise) will still be tied to the player's actual movement speed as it is now, but also checks the "always run" CVAR as a toggle for a less-accurate "hipfire" mode or something... DoomRL does that with the "running" vs "caution" modes.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Patriot1776 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:Hmm... Maybe the accuracy (however I redo that, cone-of-fire or otherwise) will still be tied to the player's actual movement speed as it is now, but also checks the "always run" CVAR as a toggle for a less-accurate "hipfire" mode or something... DoomRL does that with the "running" vs "caution" modes.

8-)

Does it do that in DoomRPG/RL as well? I'm thinking so, and I did not know about that feature. :o
Patriot1776

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:I think the two are going to end up inextricably tied. At the moment I'm not thrilling to the idea of coding a stamina system, so I think the player's reason for not having "auto-run" always on should come down to how much accuracy they're willing to sacrifice, but that involves making the sway/accuracy issue less annoying than "swing your view in random directions while running" as it currently stands.

Hmm... Maybe the accuracy (however I redo that, cone-of-fire or otherwise) will still be tied to the player's actual movement speed as it is now, but also checks the "always run" CVAR as a toggle for a less-accurate "hipfire" mode or something... DoomRL does that with the "running" vs "caution" modes.

8-)

I actually coded a stamina/limited sprint system for my MoHA:A weapon mod - you can have a gander at it here, if you're interested.
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:50 pm

I might do that, thanks :)

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Postby Caligari87 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:58 am

New Update! Download in OP.

• WEAPON SWAY COMPLETELY REFACTORED AND CHANGED: Your view now no longer bobbles around wildly, although it does react to recoil the same as before. Now, your crosshair is accompanied by a "rear sight" which shows how offset your aim is from ideal. Shots only go straight when you have a perfect sight picture, although at Doom's close combat ranges it's still somewhat reasonable to "run and gun". As before, health, movement, and stance (crouching) influences weapon sway and accuracy. Your aim will get quite jittery when you're hurt.
  • Increased falloff distance for gunshot noises, and added "distant" gunshots. Still sounds a little weird, may tweak some more.
  • Tweaked some movement speeds again. Should be a little less frustrating now.

This refactor has been bugging me for a long time now. Stayed up until 2am, worked almost 7 hours straight getting it right. Please report any bugs!

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Re: [WIP] Tranquility ("Authentic" Weapons) (Updated 2015-05

Postby Big C » Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 am

I think you typo'd the changelog date---it's a bit early to be May 30th! :P
Big C

Re: [WIP] Tranquility ("Authentic" Weapons) (Updated 2015-03

Postby Caligari87 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:25 am

Durp, fixed.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Postby JimmyJ » Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 am

I love the new aiming system so far. If you've used up all your shotgun ammo, then pick up more shells, you don't have to pump to be ready to shoot, you can just fire right away.
JimmyJ
AKA Catweasel

Postby Caligari87 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Definitely, gonna be reworking the ammo system soon.

On a side note, I've noticed that something in this mod allows the player to go over 100% health with medkits and stimpacks. I've scoured the code and can't seem to find anything that might be causing this. I've even set the playerclass maxhealth to 100, but it doesn't respect it. Anyone care to help check it, or throw around ideas?

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Postby Matt » Sun May 03, 2015 6:15 pm

I thought it was on purpose, as a way to abstract away having to use medikits!

That said, the pacing of the mod is a bit odd... with all the nightmare critters and everyone starting off alerted the assault rifle becomes necessary as a machine gun to mow down onslaughts of very predictable monsters that only stop when they're all dead.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Caligari87 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Nope, bug. Can't think of anything that might be causing it either. I haven't modified health pickups, nor the player's health ratios. Just inherited from DoomPlayer and changed some speeds and starting weapon. :shrug:

For what it's worth, monsters actually don't start "alerted", zombies just wander freely until they aggro you (which happens ridiculously early on E1M1). I once found a sergeant chilling with the imp in the exit room, randomly... I will readily admit the carbine is OP to a fault, and there's really no reason to use the shotgun unfortunately. I don't think it's a question of damage, but more of usability. Maybe it would balance better to concede the zombies as using pistols instead of rifles, sprites be damned.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Postby Matt » Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm

No! The carbine is the best weapon! Beef up shotty instead!
Matt

Postby Caligari87 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Lol, any recommendations? It's already fairly powerful, just kinda useless compared to the carbine.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Postby Big C » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

For that matter the single-barrel shotty is kinda underpowered compared to the sawed-off.

I like the idea of changing the rifle zeds into pistol troopers, though.
Big C

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods