Tranquility (On Hold, 2017-08-12)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PLA

Re: Tranquility - Alpha 2017.07.04 released

Post by PLA »

This mod is just plain awesome, I am really looking forward to try other weapons, keep up the good work!
SenTex

Post by SenTex »

Is there a way to actually hold the gun like in the video?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

No, the video is for an older version. Adding in a first-person sprite is not something I plan on doing, because it'll take a ton of extra spaghetti code and won't properly show the operation of the weapon.

8-)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I think at very least, it could be made a little smaller / put to the side a bit, the giant pistol in the middle of the hud does look a bit dorky, and while I love the game-play, it feels excessively big, at least to me.

Also, I do think a small line of black particles / sprites connecting the front / back sprite, acting as a barrel, would be an easy, yet effective means of fleshing out the "gun" slightly, even if it lacked a handle, trigger, ect, it would resemble a gun much more..
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

mumblemumble in the HD thread wrote:Nice to see you back btw, when you going to make a new gun for tranquility? :)
lol, it's only been--

[checks]

...two weeks since I committed something to Tranquility. :oops:

I've been procrastinating, unfortunately. I have the PMG graphics for the shotgun more-or-less ready. I just always hate starting anything that means 100+ lines of code before I'll be able to see usable results. I'll try to get that banged out and (mostly) functional before the weekend's over at very least.
mumblemumble wrote:I think at very least, it could be made a little smaller / put to the side a bit, the giant pistol in the middle of the hud does look a bit dorky, and while I love the game-play, it feels excessively big, at least to me.

Also, I do think a small line of black particles / sprites connecting the front / back sprite, acting as a barrel, would be an easy, yet effective means of fleshing out the "gun" slightly, even if it lacked a handle, trigger, ect, it would resemble a gun much more..
I'll try making the gun smaller and moving it to the side. Which is going to break the HUD that Gutawer made me, and require re-doing all the code that handles the overlay offsets... eurgh.

I do kinda like the line of particles idea, I'll see about adding that to the sights code.

8-)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Actually, now that I think about it, couldn't you use a particle / sprite setup on a "skeleton" spawning frame to create an actual gun frame? Like the barrel, handle, and other elements? Not sure the limitation of how a set of particles / sprites can turn and still be consistent, but the idea sounds neat.

Would be odd to handle, but if possible you could get an actual pixilated floating "gun" which while it would be less pretty than normal doom sprites, would be kinda cool too.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Sorry; I'm not willing to go that far, at least not at this time. If I did that, I may as well use voxels or 3D models to re-create the whole gun, and that's outside the scope of my patience and skill.

8-)
elCreyo
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Re: Tranquility (On Hold, 2017-08-12)

Post by elCreyo »

I wanted to try it out but I get this error.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /error.png
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

In all honestly I've stepped away from this mod for a while and don't plan on making any updates. If you feel so inclined, you can probably fix the error by changing the "random" on those lines to "frandom" I think.

Also make sure you have the version from Github, as any of the zip files in this thread are likely out of date. I checked the code there any you must have a different version because those lines shouldn't have that problem.

8-)
elCreyo
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

I downloaded it from Github and it works now, thanks.
UmbrellAssassin

Post by UmbrellAssassin »

Caligari87 wrote:In all honestly I've stepped away from this mod for a while and don't plan on making any updates. If you feel so inclined, you can probably fix the error by changing the "random" on those lines to "frandom" I think.

Also make sure you have the version from Github, as any of the zip files in this thread are likely out of date. I checked the code there any you must have a different version because those lines shouldn't have that problem.

8-)
Hello, sorry for necro bumping the thread, I just don't have access to PMs yet. I noticed the github repository is down. Did you have an archived version of this?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I posted a build on Discord a while back, I think this should be roughly where it was the last time I deemed it "playable": tranquility-2017.07.04-alphak.pk3

Unsupported, not developed, might be broken or buggy. I make it available here only for historical interest.

I've internally re-written the code several times since this version and it no longer really resembles much of anything. Perhaps someday I'll make it public when it's in a playable state again.

8-)
UmbrellAssassin

Post by UmbrellAssassin »

Thanks for the link.

I loved Receiver so this is right up my ally.

Plus it really shows how varied zscript can be
It's amazing.

Thanks for your hard work.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”