[RIP] Brutal Fantasy Doom (Pre-Alpha 0.5_2)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ghostrider231
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP/Released] Brutal Fantasy Doom (Pre-Alpha 0.5_2)

Post by Ghostrider231 »

ArcheKruz wrote:Yeaaah, FF Doom was a fun novelty back in 1997 when it first came out, but it hasn't aged well since the spritework and mapping is very poor. You will need to rebuild the entire mod from the ground up for it to be playable by today's standards, good luck with that.

(PS : Why not use Heretic weps for the sprites?)

EDIT : I've gotten a few ideas while taking a walk and here are some of the notes I've had.
  • A Final Fantasy-esque mod should retain as much of the features of an RPG as it possibly can.
  • It should also benefit from being a first-person action game in the Doom engine.
  • The way I see it, physical combat should be about managing stamina, and in this case, ATB
    • Every melee attack will take off a certain amount of ATB, and to attack again with full effectiveness, the ATB has to recharge to full. (Like Secret of Mana)
    • There are two modes (Toggled with Reload) and two actions with each mode available. (Primary and Secondary Fire) One-Handed Mode and Two-Handed Mode. OHM uses less ATB, and allows you to block but has less power with each strike, THM has more power, and allows for a charge up thrusting lunge attack, but uses more ATB and doesn't allow for blocking.
      • The way I'd do blocking is either give it a chance to deflect attacks, depending on how good the shield is, or drain ATB with speeds depending on how good the shield is.
    • The circular saw will have two modes of attack, a standard rapid-fire melee mode, and a saw swing that deals either heavy damage, or deals 9999 damage depending on crit chance. Primary fire consumes ATB constantly but can be used to full effectiveness as long as there is enough ATB charged up, but the secondary fire can only be used on a full ATB gauge.
    • The longbow will be a deadly marksman type of weapon and it will be as powerful as any other weapon, but you'd have to use it skillfully. Holding the fire button will slow the player down gradually and zoom the view in. Pressing secondary fire while charging up (using synth-fire scripting) will do a breathe action and start firing invisible ghost tracers, allowing for the visualization of the ballistics of the arrow and for aim to be steadied for a period of time. The power of the shot will depend on the amount of charge, and the amount of ATB available. The ATB amount consumed depends on amount of charge, and the ATB bar will freeze while charging.
    • Replace the musket with a multi-crossbow. Each bolt does as much damage as a fully charged longbow shot, but without the accuracy and marksman aides. The crossbow can hold a certain amount of arrows and each arrow must be loaded separately with the reload function. Loading each arrow will consume a certain amount of ATB, and each successive arrow loading requires more of the ATB charge to be present in order to be successful. Firing the arrows will consume a marginal amount of ATB. Primary fire fires all of the arrows at once, secondary fires them semi-automatically in a rapid succession.
    • The Autocrossbow has the same ATB mechanics as the circular saw's primary attack, and does damage based on a medium-charged arrow shot.
  • Magic should be pretty awkward and clunky to use, but also very powerful. They will not talk to ATB at all, but they will take time to charge up, charging up a spell longer will use a higher tier version of that spell, but the player will have to have unlocked a higher tier of that spell first. The types of spell available are Fire, Ice, Lightning and Holy. All of the spells are consolidated to one weapon, and the elements are toggled by the reload function. Each element have 2 spells available. Obviously, higher tier spells take longer to charge and uses up more MP. Using a spell often will eventually unlock a higher tier version of it.
    • Fire Spell : Fireball - Your standard fireball spell, does impact burning damage plus an additional radius damage. Impact damage, radius damage, and especially radius damage size scales up with Tier. Medium power, medium range.
    • Fire Spell : Flare Aura - A circular wall of flame flares up all around you, incinerating all who comes close. Damage, and to a lesser extent, range scales with tier. High damage, low range.
    • Ice Spell : Ice Shards - Essentially a shotgun, but with fast-travelling ice shards. Shard count and damage scales with tier.
    • Ice Spell : Frost Tornado - The Iron Lich's tornado spell, but it slows down the attack rate of all enemies caught in it for a short period of time. Unpredictable, could backfire. Damage, lift, effect duration, and spell duration scales with tier. Medium damage, potentially long range.
    • Thunder Spell : Chain Lightning - Seems like a clone of the Hexen Mage's lightning spell attack at first, but the lightning projectile starts firing a ring of similar lightning bolts at random angles, called a chain. Number of chains depends on the tier of the spell, tier two fires one chain, tier three fires two chains. The number of lightning bolts fired upon death of the mother projectile also scales with tier. Medium-v.high damage, medium range.
    • Thunder Spell : Heaven's Gate - Leaves a thunder sigil on the ground, causing a massive lightning bolt to strike the ground from the sky and shock all enemies within range after a few seconds. Only works outdoors, very powerful, damage scales pretty sharply with tier, damage range scales up marginally, damage hotspot scales nominally. High-v.high damage, short range.
    • Holy Spell : Holy Bomb - Fires a series of holy balls that seek a target and homes in on them, and explodes on impact. Impact Damage, explosion range and number of orbs scales with tier. Medium-High Damage - Long Range
    • Holy Spell : Judgement - Massive AOE Nuke spell, basically the BFG tier spell of the game. Fires a slow moving projectile that constantly explodes and eventually slows down until it comes to a stand-still. It detonates when it is still for more than a couple of seconds or when it hits something, dealing massive radius damage over a wide range. This is followed by a storm of medium-damaging pillars of light that are spawned at random over the spell's area of effect. Initial speed of the projectile, travelling & detonation explosion damage, detonation damage hotspot, travelling & detonation damage range, pillar damage, frequency of spawning pillars, duration of the pillar storm and range of pillar spawning depends on tier.
  • Lastly for weapons, dances! While spells are cool and all, you are Mog, and Mog's specialty are dances. All of Mog's dances could be divided into the two remaining slots, or could be expanded into slots 6-9. I won't detail how they should work because the wiki already has the details of his dances. It's up to you how you want them to be implemented. I think that the dances should take up a full charge of ATB.
  • There should be an EXP system, where defeating an enemy makes you stronger with stats. When you level up, you gain points in the following stats :
    • Endurance - Adds HP Max Bonus
    • Strength - Adds damage buff to melee attacks, and longbow shots
    • Alacrity - Controls the critical hit rate for physical weapons, as well as controls damage bonuses for the longbow, multi-crossbow and auto-crossbow.
    • Agility - Controls running speed and ATB gauge recharge rate as well as ATB Max
    • Magic - Controls magic damage
  • Repeated useage of various aspects of combat will also directly increase those stats as a small bonus. So taking damage will eventually improve endurance, using a lot of melee attacks will improve strength, landing a lot of hits with ranged attacks will improve alacrity, attacking in physical combat often and dodging often (Will require a system for projectile and melee miss algorithms that can detect attacks aimed at the player and then check if it missed.) will improve agility, and using magic often will improve magic.
  • Items are important, restorative item pickups should not be consumed immediately on pick up, instead the Heretic/Hexen inventory system should be used where health, MP restoration and other healing, replenishing consumables could be used at any time at the players' discretion.
  • Being that this is Final Fantasy, armor as a consumable should not come into play. You COULD use the Hexen Armor Class system, but there should be a script that constantly keeps the AC at a certain amount at all times. And how much AC? Armor loot drops and chest rewards as dummy inventory items to keep track of currently-equipped armor, add the pieces up, and then calculate a target AC value!
  • There should be a loot drop system, enemies should drop gold, and occasionally, items that could be sold in stores for gold. Gold can then be used to buy armor, relics and weapons. In fact, the two-handed mode for melee weapons could be controlled by whether the player has the Gauntlet relic in their inventory. The Offering can then be used to improve OHM by allowing the player to swing 4 times per attack. Other weapon and armor items can also be picked up as a rare drop from enemies or as a chest item.
  • Don't limit yourself to Doom monster replacements, make new mob types based on the FF6 bestiary! (Seriously, it would be awesome to have mechanic type enemy mobs that throws a wrench at you when they die.)
  • Script mobs to forget that you exist after a certain of period of time where they couldn't see you. (This is to mimic the option of players running from battle in FF6)
  • Lastly, gore! Yes, if you want gore in your mod, that's fine, but make sure that it is a bonus, and that the mod will be fun without them. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE do not make brutal gor the point of the mod. That never leads to good projects.

Wow that's a lot of ideas! i like some of the ideas you suggested, some of these ideas are in wip or planned, because the next version already has: more monsters, long casting time for spells(however, powerful ones.), Arrow Reload on crossbows(this one happened for the weapon in the spoilers, hint: it's a magitek weapon.), Ice shard mode, healing yourself or other players(i don't know how i'm gonna make that.)(probably a projectile that summons another projectile and have negative damage?).

For running around from enemies, i can could make a timer for them.
Every time an enemy wanders around too much without a target, they are given a dummy timer item.
Once that dummy item has reached it's limit, the enemy forgets his target.(kinda like what you said about running away from enemies.)

If you want to know what is called here it is:
Spoiler:
Ah yes! the rpg stats system! I would try, could take a lot of coding do arounds, because my mod is a mess right now. :P

Totally forget about holy damage types! (I did have a new monster where he is a ghost type like enemy and could be weak to that.)

For ff6 original enemies, there is no resources i could find, so i would have to draw those sprites by scratch.(because i have to draw every single frames for them.)
good idea for this, could take a while.

For Flare Aura,
I remember doing that before! it was called flame wall. This spell summons a wall of flames in front of you.
However, This flame wall idea was marked unused and cannot be performed anymore.
(the attack projectile still exists in the coding.(i think it was called "firewallexplosion" i think.)

So far, there is deadly magic, more enemies, reload after every shot(this is only for the spoiler weapon i showed you.), one health item that acts like heretic's health item(i didn't mention this in the description.)(Hi-potion.).

As always, thank you for a huge list of suggestions! :)
Last edited by Ghostrider231 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Updated Description, one semi-open world level revealed! Still WIP though.
Look at the Misc/Environment/New levels.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i really dig the weapon animations on the preview vid, it would be cool to have the rest of the weaponry follow this style (even though it looks simplistic).
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

New Monsters(more monsters) revealed!

Note: Not from ff6, but more variant of enemies!

Don't look at this spoiler unless you really want to spoil yourself.

Spoiler Alert:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ghostrider231 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Ghostrider231 wrote: Thank you who ever made these.
Make sure you don't put "who ever" in the credits. People worked hard on this stuff, and they deserve proper credit.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Somagu wrote:
Ghostrider231 wrote: Thank you who ever made these.
Make sure you don't put "who ever" in the credits. People worked hard on this stuff, and they deserve proper credit.
Thank you for pointing that out,

Just edited my post giving proper credits.

Added the proper credits showed in the spoiler itself.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

I think you're missing the point of why it's a FF Doom mod. Not saying that you shouldn't use Hexen monster sprites, and their edits, but I say that further editing should be done so that they further resemble the enemies you encounter in FF6.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

ArcheKruz wrote:I say that further editing should be done so that they further resemble the enemies you encounter in FF6.
I would try, but desire that i'm working on this mod myself and the time i have right now, it would and could take a LONG time.(I am not a professional sprite drawer.)
(i'm not very good at drawing big sprites, sometimes small, big sprites just take more time of course.)

I did like the other suggested ideas though, however, the ff6 monsters sadly wouldn't be available for a while.(Please be patient okay? I'm trying as much as i can now.)

yes, i do understand what you saying, however that i'm trying to learn how to draw well sprites for every rotation.
(i'm not very great of making sprites, edits can be a little different, but feels almost the same as completely redrawing it.)

Right now, i can be able to do the other suggested or what i'm focusing on currently.

(This is only Pre-alpha, i will start getting better later on, so please be patient.)
Last edited by Ghostrider231 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

ArcheKruz wrote:I say that further editing should be done so that they further resemble the enemies you encounter in FF6.

There is one enemy that could be resembled(kinda):
Spoiler:
Yes i know it's not what you think it is.

Edit(just added the sting part):
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ghostrider231 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

updated description, if any help with drawing rotating sprites for ff6 would be greatly appreciated!
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Ed, i hope this isn't too tight for you to look at here. :shrug:
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ghostrider231 wrote:Ed, i hope this isn't too tight for you to look at here. :shrug:
Too tight? Not sure I get your meaning...
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

A lot of stuff going on this topic.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

That's a good thing, right? Means there's progress, ideas, and discussions. Looks like you'll have a big job ahead in finishing this project. Hope you're up to the task, because it looks like it could be pretty great!
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Ed the Bat wrote:That's a good thing, right? Means there's progress, ideas, and discussions. Looks like you'll have a big job ahead in finishing this project. Hope you're up to the task, because it looks like it could be pretty great!

Yea i could, desire this first project might seem... Big. Which i have Sooo many things planning ahead of me right now.

Wish me luck.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”