OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Post by Valherran »

korell pack
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuJ5mA00BwgahGw0xZjBndw8uKtj korell's add-on - a gl only pack, adds truer color/style quake liquids and features a music pack
This appears to be missing, the file only contains a couple screenshots.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

That op is ages old now. Those links are more than obsolete now. I've removed them...
Korell

Post by Korell »

I've uploaded my Quake Liquids addon to ModDB should anyone still want it. Here's the link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/osjcs-quake- ... akeliquids
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Hope nobody kills me for this minor bump. I have created an alternate fullscreen statusbar version for this based on my Heretic fullscreen HUD I made for DTDsphere's mod.

Features:
- Fullscreen version of the "normal" statusbar with the left/right bars removed
- Level stats display (Kills/Items/Secrets) in the upper left corner
- Uses fullscreenoffsets for proper scaling when adjusting statusbar sizes

How to use:
Either merge contents of attached zipfile with the mod or just load it after the mod.

Preview:
Attachments
dih_sbarmod.zip
Modified fullscreen statusbar for "Descent Into Heresy"
(9.23 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

One more thing, here's the final version of the backing bar that I made for the hud that didn't make it in for some reason. It has the Quake runes to fill up that blank space in the middle for thematic flair.
Attachments
QBAR.png
QBAR.png (18.04 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Nice! Hopefully it will still be added.

Another thing I noticed:
Firing the Thunderbolt kicks up your view, but the viewing pitch does not return to normal when you release the fire key. This way you are forced to press the "Center View" key if you don't use mouselook (like me). Maybe OSJC did not think of this when he made the mod or he assumed mouse users would find it annoying to have their view recentered like that. I have found a solution for this and asked OSJC to review it.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

yeah the thunderbolt kick was intentional (an attempt at limiting how damn effective it is without fudging the weapon damage too much) but you're like the sixth person to mention this so its gone.

so, no more pitch on't thunderbolt! you know, i've no idea why I initially resisted doing this its much better without it! LOL :roll:
while i was at it I've also recoloured the barrel on the grenadelauncher to the bluish tone as in original quake.

as for the hud bar, i preferred it without runes so, that's the version that's in there. :shrug:

@nightfright I like your alternative hud. I'll add it to the add-ons section! (I've also added it to the moddb page) :D
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

How would I merge the alternate fullscreen HUD into the mod? Just use something like 7Zip?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I'd strongly suggest against doing that. Simply add it to let load order after the main pack and it'll load fine...
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

minor update today:
zombies!
just like you remember them, annoying undead buggers, these cannot be killed outright with anything less than explosives or quad damage*.
they're predictably randomized with the mummies and grunts

To get these to work as I wanted (gibbable only by explosives and quad**) changes have been made to quake-dih_3.pk3 as well as monstas_dih.pk3. just FYI :D

*to account for the respawning they drop shotshells when you "kill" them any other way, got to be fair early on right?
**also the quadded nailgun is just as useless against them as it was in quake! cos, you know... so consider yourself warned! :wink:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice sprites, they look good!
Korell

Post by Korell »

I like those zombies.

Anyway, not sure if this is a bug, but it seems a little off, either in what it does or what the message states. When you kill a zombie with a non-explosive weapon they drop shells to pick up. The message says you get 4 shells, but the ammo counter only goes up by 2 (it usually takes 2 shotgun shots to take one down so you only get your ammo back, which might be your intention here). This was on the Hurt Me Plenty difficulty, playing Heretic E1M1.

EDIT: Just tried it on I Can Win and the message still says that you get 4 shells, but the ammo counter shows that you actually get 3. So I'm guessing that the actual values are correct and that it is just the message that gives the wrong value.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Korell wrote:I like those zombies.

Anyway, not sure if this is a bug, but it seems a little off, either in what it does or what the message states. When you kill a zombie with a non-explosive weapon they drop shells to pick up. The message says you get 4 shells, but the ammo counter only goes up by 2 (it usually takes 2 shotgun shots to take one down so you only get your ammo back, which might be your intention here). This was on the Hurt Me Plenty difficulty, playing Heretic E1M1.

EDIT: Just tried it on I Can Win and the message still says that you get 4 shells, but the ammo counter shows that you actually get 3. So I'm guessing that the actual values are correct and that it is just the message that gives the wrong value.
well considering you're only supposed to get one shell that's a bug which I shall fix very soon. Figured out what I must have done there :oops: I've got it dropping "shell" instead of "shell3". What i guess it's doing is spawning the doom "shell" actor but showing the single shell sprite. A simple balls-up but well spotted sir! I'll do it once I get behind a keyboard again...

*edit*
done. :wink:
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Any possibility of getting this mod compatible with just Doom? The weapon sprites are what attract me to this mod, as all other quake 1 weapon mods for doom are just straight rips from the game, which ruins the immersion for me. Yours has actual sprited weapons, which I'd perfer to use.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

That is no small undertaking. I certainly shall not be doing this...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”