OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Post by osjclatchford »

QUAKE: Descent into Heresy

*DEVELOPMENT TERMINATED*
no further updates or changes will be logged on this project from now on. - Latchford
completely happy with this now so I'm calling it. it was fun to revisit it but now its done. thanks to all who contributed.

Mediafire DL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n22uyclxd ... sisted.zip - (29th nov 2018)

MODDB PAGE: http://www.moddb.com/mods/osjcs-quake-d ... nto-heresy

I had always felt that quake needs some zdoom air-time and a mod with the quake weapons is crying out to be made. however a quake weapon mod for doom is kinda boring. there are so many doom weapon mods out there! so what game do you make it for? well, lets see whats dark, gothic and creepy? HeXen of course but the mana-based ammo system causes pain-in-the-arse issues with like for like replacements. so then heretic seems to be the next logical choice!
so was born the idea: Quake; descent into heresy. a quake themed weapon/item mod for heretic!

the story so far...

Victory.
your fatigue was enormous. after scouring the four realms for the ancient runes, vanquishing untold horrors and despicable mutants, only to face the mother of them all; shubb niggurath, overwitch of the dark demense and defeat her once and for all, via a handily positioned slipgate.
Now you were ready to get back to earth to do a whole lot of nothing for a hell of a long time.
After a surprisingly quick debriefing back at slipgate command you return home in your pickup, satisfied at a job well done. Shubb niggurath was gone, the runes safely stored in stasis back at slipgate command and early retirement seemed more than welcome now... so why didn't you feel safe...

the Apsotatic pact.
it had not escaped shubb nigurath's notice that the slipgate system opened doors to more than just the known realms of old.
with the earthlings mounting a counterstrike, it was time for a little insurance policy.
A long vanquished demi-god of the serpent-riders-three seemed a likely candidate for a new ally.
the simple matter of his ressurection via the power of the runes ensured complete control over her new puppet.
with the help of a few of her minions, D'sparils lands were restored to their former glory, albeit forever tainted and twisted by the dark powers of quake, ready for reoccupation of his forces.
filled with new technologies and artifacts stolen from earth by shub niggurath's underlings.
and there, as a slave in his own rebuilt kingdom, D'sparil awaited his mistress' call...

the mission.
You'd barely been home a week when the desperate calls of the general came through early one morning. urgent information regarding the slipgate incident requires your immediate attention.
guess shubb nigguraths not done with you yet.
Hot-tailing it back to the base the damage around makes it clear there's recently been a rather nasty firefight. the general lays it all down.
seems they managed to capture one of the invaders alive enough for "interrogation".
"shubb niggurath's death has sparked a major power struggle resulting some interdimentional asshole called D'sparil causing a ruckus, seems he's in dire need of a good ass-kicking." at least thats how the general put it
"apparently his entire army is psychicly linked to him. kill D'sparil and its all over..."
you know whats coming. its obvious.
"...you're the best man for the job, son. noone else has ever come back from a slipgate mission in one piece."
you simply nod and go to gear up. retirement is looking anything but quiet so far...

as you approach the awaiting slipgate pad you summarise the situation with the general. "so, I go through the gate, kill all the badguys, assassinate this D'sparil and save the world..."
"just another day at the office for you, eh son?" smiled the general
"it shouldn't get old general..."
you pump your shotgun and step through...

Readme
Spoiler:
ADD-ONS
Spoiler:
EXTERNAL LINKS/REVIEWS
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:
quad.PNG
quad.PNG (5.35 KiB) Viewed 25105 times
Last edited by osjclatchford on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:47 am, edited 113 times in total.
Valherran

Re: QUAKE: Descent into Heresy (WIP)

Post by Valherran »

Quake weapons for Heretic? Yes please! :D

Please add the expansion weapons too! ^^
everamzah

Post by everamzah »

Quake inside of Heretic is a pretty darn good idea, methinks.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I love it. I love it I love it I love it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Welcome back. No, you can never leave ZDoom once you've started... >;D
Average

Post by Average »

This is a great idea. I cannot wait to try it out. Heretic can always use some love and this is love indeed!
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

These weapons look notably different from the originals in Quake, yet evoke very clear and familiar memories of said weapons. I like that.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Those sprites look great, although they don't exactly fit into Heretic unless someone makes some Quake-looking levels and monsters to use them in/on. That would be sweet.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool idea, Heretic can always use more love in the custom content area.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Even a retexture pack for heretic to fit the quake theme could work.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Quake weapons for Heretic is an excellent idea. Once I beat episode 2 with the Guncaster I'll try episode three with this, or four if you take too long :P.
Nash wrote:Welcome back. No, you can never leave ZDoom once you've started... >;D
Yeah even if you "get bored" you come back eventually :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ixnatifual wrote:Those sprites look great, although they don't exactly fit into Heretic unless someone makes some Quake-looking levels and monsters to use them in/on. That would be sweet.
I was trying to remedy this earlier by making a custom palette for Heretic that was more Quake-like, but I had a hell of a time figuring out SLADE3's palette editor and only managed to make it look as if the player was permanently underwater.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I have only one question: Lightning Gun?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:I have only one question: Lightning Gun?
also, Rocket Launcher. rocket jumpers will be boring.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

wow, so many positive replies! now down to business: so far i've done all on my above 'spoiler' list above and a bit more.
just working on the quaddamage code/graphics right now and then beta version one will be up for grabs soon.

I had not intended to implement a thunderbolt yet the rocketlauncher will hopefully replace the phoenix rod (at present its the still the gl.)

did not see where to put said thunderbolt in the weapons lowdown. I'm going for good gameplay balance here and the lightninggun is a bit overkill. also; I decided to put the gl to spawn for gauntlets and mace so that episode one has a gl in it. with this in mind the heavy ammo for both claw and xbow are randomised thus; clawammobig - nailbig or rocketsmall and xbowammobig - shelbig or rocketsmall. wouldn't want to run out of ammo now would we :wink:

more real soon

Return to “Gameplay Mods”