OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited (july 201

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I have played Quake before, but as I said, it is more convenient to have weapons who share the same ammo type assigned to the same slot - especially if one weapon renders the other obsolete.

This goes for the Nailgun and the Super Nailgun as well.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Well it's not happening here sorry...
Korell

Post by Korell »

Have you thought about adding custom startup and endoom windows, so as to state the title as Quake: Descent into Heresy instead of Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders? Also, maybe rename the difficulty levels to be Quake related. For instance, the following are the difficulty levels from Quake 3 (as Quake 1 had you choose a portal for difficulty and only had 4 levels, not 5):

I Can Win
Bring It On
Hurt Me Plenty
Hardcore
Nightmare!

Obviously this doesn't affect the gameplay in any way, but just a thought.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Not really. Was never really a priority thing of interest to be honest...
Korell

Post by Korell »

osjclatchford wrote:Not really. Was never really a priority thing of interest to be honest...
Well, if you decide you want to, then I believe all that's needed are two files, gameinfo and mapinfo. I've done some basic testing and added these to my setup:

A gameinfo.txt file stating:

STARTUPTITLE = "OSJC's Quake: Descent into Heresy"
STARTUPCOLORS = "FFFFFF", "7A4623"

A mapinfo.txt file stating:

clearskills

skill baby
{
AutoUseHealth
AmmoFactor = 1.5
DamageFactor = 0.5
EasyKey
SpawnFilter = 2
Name = "I Can Win"
Key = "i"
}

skill easy
{
AmmoFactor = 1
DamageFactor = 1
SpawnFilter = 2
Name = "Bring It On"
Key = "b"
}

skill medium
{
AmmoFactor = 1
DamageFactor = 1
DefaultSkill
SpawnFilter = 3
Name = "Hurt Me Plenty"
Key = "h"
}

skill hard
{
AmmoFactor = 1
DamageFactor = 1
SpawnFilter = 4
Name = "Hardcore"
Key = "a"
}

skill nightmare
{
AmmoFactor = 1.5
FastMonsters
DisableCheats
DamageFactor = 1
SpawnFilter = 4
Name = "Nightmare!"
Key = "n"
}
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Loving your work as always (DiH is my favourite mod for Heretic). I wonder if I can make a request though? Would it be possible for you or someone else (if you don't mind) to separate the Quake textures and your sky and water stuff. Or, alternatively, and additional WAD that only contains your sky and water? I love the sky and the water's nice but sometimes I'd rather play Heretic maps with the Heretic textures. :)

Please don't take this as an internet demand. It's just a request. :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

@ hipnotic rogue, You don't need to do this. The textures are seperate pack and entirely optional. Simply don't load them. This is all in the readme and on the op... :roll:

@korell. I'm not really interested in doing that. Part of the charm of this is that it is still heretic at heart. I don't want to loose the heretic with too much quake. As hipnotic rogue says, sometimes you want to play it with less quakeyness. That's why the mod is modular. Things like the menu, messages etc are left as is for this reason.
This happens all the time with modders, oftimes they never know when to stop. To be honest I only came back to this mod with hindsight as I felt it would be wrong to leave the community when I knew I could do this mod properly, the way it deserves, before I did. I kinda feel I've done that now and to be truthful I'm almost ready to call it a day on dih, and modding in general.
Have a plan, stick to it.
Done.
That's how I feel it should be but oftimes never is.

Also I'm familiar with mapinfo, that's how the skies work.. :wink:
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

osjclatchford wrote:@korell. I'm not really interested in doing that. Part of the charm of this is that it is still heretic. I don't want to loose that with too much quake...
No worries. All the gameinfo text does is add the mod title above the startup window as such (so that it's clear that the mod is loading rather than vanilla Heretic):
Spoiler:
Last edited by Korell on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yeah the gameinfo idea is good and worth adding.
Sorry meant to say that in the last post. Not really sure why I've not even done this yet myself...

Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do. Honestly I'm surprised this has got as much interest as it has at all. I figured I'd post a few updates and it would disappear back into obscurity. Its just that I finally feel happy with it at the minute and don't want to go too far. Suggestions never hurt, but im just aware I've said no no no no to a lot of them and I want you all to understand I have reasons why. It's not about anyone stealing anyone's thunder, it's just about sticking to your original vision. I'm not saying don't compromise. Just try not to where you can :wink:
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

osjclatchford wrote:@ hipnotic rogue, You don't need to do this. The textures are seperate pack and entirely optional. Simply don't load them. This is all in the readme and on the op... :roll:
It doesn't work. :roll:

The water loads fine but it remains blue The sky is static and black with static purple clouds... Unless I load the textures pack. Using gzdoom-g3.2pre-112-g58b348e

Not sure why I deserve the eye rolling either... My post was polite to the point of being obsequious with two smiles in it. Because I knew you wouldn't take my post with positivity and I tried to circumvent that...

I don't think I'll be posting anymore. Most times when I do, I get some kind of chip on the shoulder response from you. It's tedious. It's a shame because I do like your work...

Good luck with your mod.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

What's tedious is constantly repeating yourself because People can't be bothered to read instructions that are very clear. That's what the eye roll was to signify.
The forum is littered with it...
No nastiness required nor implied. Its a constant source of perturbation; Simple exasperation. Im allowed to be exasperated aren't I?

What's all this sillyness about chips on shoulders. I've had a pleasant few interactions with you regarding the HUD all but a couple of pages back. Where's all this animosity come from now? I certainly feel none towards you.

Look...
You must be doing something wrong or there's a major issue with the files that I've missed.
Just load quake_dih.pk3 on its own. There should be no sky textures in there except for the animated episode 3 sky..

So it should just load the standard colour (modified animation) liquids. And the standard heretic skies... If that's not what you were asking for then I misunderstood.

Are you loading the gl skies too? because that obviously won't function without the texture pack on first.
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

osjclatchford wrote:Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do. Honestly I'm surprised this has got as much interest as it has at all. I figured I'd post a few updates and it would disappear back into obscurity. Its just that I finally feel happy with it at the minute and don't want to go too far. Suggestions never hurt, but im just aware I've said no no no no to a lot of them and I want you all to understand I have reasons why. It's not about anyone stealing anyone's thunder, it's just about sticking to your original vision. I'm not saying don't compromise. Just try not to where you can :wink:
Really, don't worry about it. :) All the changes I've carried out (the Quake liquids, restoring animated ice textures, renaming the difficulty settings, adding the gameinfo, removing the Quake symbol crosshairs, and adding in Quake music) have all been done within my own additional files leaving yours untouched (oh, were you able to get the files from my OneDrive? - I'd completely forgotten that I could use that to share them), so it isn't as if it's been an issue as I've been able to make the minor changes myself. Your mod is great fun, the Quake weapons and textures work really well with the Heretic maps and I'm now currently half-way through episode 3.

Edit: Oh, by the way, is this a bug? When the mod loads it throws a warning message about DECORATE.txt on line 1546 about an invalid hex number. When I take a look at that line, it is the Quad Damage powerup. More specifically, the colour blend to apply when it is in use. The value is supposed to be a hex number, one of 6 pre-defined text values, or a colour name as defined by the X11R6RGB file within the (G)Zdoom PK3. Taking a look at the value, you've stated lightBLUEMap as the colour name but this isn't one of the 6 pre-defined ones and isn't in the X11R6RGB file. Using the Quad Damage powerup still works, but it just seems to darken the screen rather than go a blue-ish colour. Changing the value to LightBLUE didn't make any visual difference, but it did make the warning go away, though.
Last edited by Korell on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Thanks korell. I've not yet had the chance to get on a machine I can dl the file from... To be honest as you've done so much in the way of changes and alternatives, I think it would simply be better to add it as a link on the op as an optional addendum (in the add-on section). Its a good pack and deserves its own link rather than only partial assimilation into the sky pack. Did a fair bit of alpha testing with the monster pack this morning. I got totally immersed in the whole thing. Sounds a bit egotistical I know but it really felt like a new set of levels for quake. Not heretic with some changes. Exactly how I always wanted it to be...
osjclatchford

update

Post by osjclatchford »

another update.
Spoiler:
mediafire wont work for me this evening so for now you can get this here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=881 ... 3198936975 -tinyupload.com
Legend_Odinson

Post by Legend_Odinson »

Nice updates. Glad to see the new monsters. Are you planning on using the vore enemy sprite floating around too? I think I saw it on realm 667.

also, for music, since some people were asking, There is this: http://project-aftershock.newgrounds.com/
It's called Project aftershock. A remake of the original Quake soundtrack.

Also, 4bshot addon seems to be broken with latest version using latest stable gzdoom. once picked up, you can't use next/previous weapon command to change weapons. You're stuck with the double ssg's until you press a hot key to change weapons, and can't get back to using them again.
Last edited by Legend_Odinson on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”